General Category > General Discussion

tilt trim pump

(1/3) > >>

ferris68:
 I have a 1977 v184 with a inline 6,tilt /trim  is working..but its goes much slower going down than up. Up seems just fine, its just trimming down that seems really slow, maybe 1/4 speed as opposed to the up speed.....any thoughts?  Trim pump is original squarish pump. pump is out of boat,i removed it today to clean it up a bit, I am thinking contacts need cleaning and to oil looked pretty old too.

Jason:
yea, i guess just clean it all up, maybe pull the block off the bottom too, replace o-rings, and clean out. Also, since you have the pump out. lift the lower unit by hand and see if it moves up and down easily and has no restrictions.

Rich_V174SS:
Check the pivot pins on the drive's gimbal ring, if they're crudded up with corrosion and debris they could be preventing the drive from dropping on it's own. Those older systems relied more on gravity than actual hydraulic pressure for lowering the drive. Try standing on the drive when it's up and have someone operate the down button and see if it goes down any faster. You'll probably have to pull out the pivot pins, clean them up on a wire wheel, grease and reinstall them. I have also seen the trim rams get bound up in the bushing where the piston comes out from the cylinder, this can also slow down the lowering of the drive.

ferris68:
I greased up the pivot pins and rebuilt 1 of the rams (i was having trouble with it bleeding down). It does move freely with nothing hooked up to it.  I have the shop manual for this boat but it does'nt give much info about the pump as they used a few different brands. I guess i'll rip into it tomorrow and see what the inside of the pump looks like.It worked fine back in 2004 that was the last time i ran the boat. Also steering seems kinda tight,but i post on that later. I am looking for some cowl vents or 1 cowl vent for the engine bay also a hatch cover http://www.cgoamn.com/resources/77gl-v184.jpg.   

Dale L:
Does the pump have one or two solenoids.
Had the same problem with my 77 with one solenoid.
 On the single solenoid ones the power for down has to go from pump to switch and back to pump lots of resistance in the wiring and switch.
Install a solenoid on the down side and power goes from battey to pump will run same speed as up.
Dale

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version