General Category > General Discussion

Back from Vacation with the CVZ-19

(1/4) > >>

dorelse:
Just got back from our week long vacation up in Park Rapids, MN.

I'm very pleased to report that the CVZ-19 ran terrific!  My starting issues did continue until I figured out that I was flooding it and the 1 'kick' & die issue was really that I was going about starting it up incorrectly.  On this one, once it 'kicks' over once, I need to put the throttle back to 1/2 (not in the start position) throttle, and choke it, and it started every morning after that right off the bat.  So, that issue is now solved.  (Still think it needs a tune up...)

(Surprisingly, Force OB's & Johnson OB's don't start the same...funny huh?)

Anyway, I topped out at 57.2 mph on GPS running almost 6k RPM's...I'm not sure the motor is propped right...as I think that's a bit high on the RPM's for a 30 year old motor.  She can do 0-50 in about 9 secs, and really just takes off like a bat out of ....  well, it moves out!

A few pictures & a video:

One of the speed runs...I think I got 55 mph on this one, against a slight breeze and 20 gals of fuel on board.  I start chine walking around 54 and its not a great feeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKLfFtj9MHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGobWo97UV0

ChfBrianB:
I knew you would like the speed once you opened up the throttle and got used to it!  :)

MarkS:
Whew D, that thing is QUICK!  Glad to hear you're getting it all sorted out.  I'm still learning the little "quirks" about mine every time I take her out too.  There's no substitute for the big ole grin when it's all working like it's supposed to.   ;)

Rosscoe:
Thats great to hear. Yeah I think they all have their quirks and once you get em sorted out, its great. I had a hard time starting my 100 merc after I got it and the guy told me it was a "cold beast" but I discovered that I need to bulb ALOT and maybe even after cranking it awhile, then she would fire.
Wow 57.2! Whats the redline spec of that motor? What prop are you running now? Very respectible speed. Maybe you dont need to mess with anything, given that speed and acceleration!

dorelse:
I don't know the redline, but I'm guessing I was too high.  I doubt 6k is ok for it.  I think its prop'd a little low.

Prop is a SS Raker 14 1/2 X 20.

We got 5 inches of rain in one night last Sunday and a neighboring house on the lake was struck by lightning and burned to the ground...the boat was completely soaked, even with the cover on it.  It was so much it was able to get in one of the cover vents.  I must have drained it for 30 minutes...that was a tough morning to watch all that water pour out.  It'd even gotten by the drain plugs, so I left those out for the rest of the week.  

The debate is still on at my house on which one to keep...Bluebell or Goldie.

Smiles you bet, plenty...but these are the most important ones:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version