General Category > General Discussion

Motor Troubles

(1/1)

civil_skier:
I'm having a curious problem with my motor. I have a 2002 50 hp Mercury Tracker with power trim. It's running just fine, but when I throttle up the motor overpowers the trim piston and buries itself in the water. I charged up my battery to make sure the piston was getting enough juice, but that didn't solve it. Any thoughts?

ChfBrianB:
I'm not an expert, but it sure seems that your trim pump is failing.  It sounds like you have some type of seal that is leaking and allowing the piston to compress back to the down position.

The first place that I would look is for gaskets or seals that are failing.  I don't know what it would be like to pull that trim pump apart, but it sure sounds like you have a failing seal or gasket.

Call a local repair shop and ask them what a trim pump rebuild would cost.

Good luck!

Jason:
I had a problem like that and found debris i the trim motor valve body. I think I got something in there when doing my engine swap though. So if you have not opened up the lines recently I would agree with Brian that you have an internal seal leaking somewhere.

civil_skier:
Thanks for the feed back. I was guessing a bad seal or failing pump as well. Just wanted some insight before spending the money on it. I'm about to get some cracks fixed anyway so I'll probably do it all in one fell swoop. I'll post some pics of the finished glassing later.

Rich_V174SS:
That motor might have a manual release valve with an access hole on the side of the mounting bracket. I've seen a lot of times the O-rings on the release screw go bad and that will cause it to leak down. Replacing the release screw set usually fixes the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version