Author Topic: Requesting shipping help from anyone in New England or New York area  (Read 2517 times)

Offline chuckie

Hello all, I just secured the CV-21 that was just listed in the GCOTD for sale section. The boat is near Montreal, Canada and I need to get the boat to the US side of the border and someone hold it for me until I can set up shipping to San Diego. I have about a month to get it from the gentleman?s house and across the border. From there I need time to set up shipping. It make take me a couple weeks to list it on like Uship and wait for a good price. If anyone is willing to pick it up and bring it across the border I have no problem paying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Requesting shipping help from anyone in New England or New York area
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
Congrats on the new to you cv-21.   A very sought after craft   .    Montreal to San Diego wow, doesn't got much farther away does it.   I drove Omaha to NY to get an Intimidator, but your distance is more than twice that.    Good luck in your arrangements. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:24:25 PM »
Are you sure you can even get it across the border ?
With the COVID restrictions ..
Arron and Maritan couldn't get one across .. but maybe things have changed.
Just talked to him yesterday about it and he wasn't sure if things are better.
Hope I'm wrong ..

Maybe John will see this and respond

Offline chuckie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
That would be great to know because I would hate for that to happen.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:42:48 PM »
I'm not sure who to contact .. Maybe customs or border people to see what documents, papers, etc. you will need.
Maybe it's as easy as driving across .. Maybe not.
Best to know your options before hand.
In Mn. you need a title for newer boat over 16 ft. ( I think ) .. might want to check with your local reg. dept. to see what they want/need.

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 04:30:57 PM »
You can leave it my house in north central mass until you can get it west

Offline chuckie

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 04:49:26 PM »
GIL_CV21, how far are you from Holyoke? My dad is from Holyoke. I may be able to fly out and rent and truck to go across and pick it up then come and salivate over your CV-21. I think I can get someone like Boat Buddy to help me with getting the paperwork t get it across. I wouldn?t be able to drive it back to SD right away. I would want to have it shipped.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »
Sorry this post wasn't Friday as I was at the border talking to US and Canadian customs agents to renew my FAST card.
The best bet would be to contact a customs broker to help with the paperwork. Our company uses Livingston but right now they are having issues as they were hacked. You can try any other  brokers that are available at the border crossing you use. I may be crossing again on Thursday and can try to get some info from the broker and Canadian customs.

Cheers,
John
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline chuckie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 06:26:43 PM »
That would be great John and very much appreciated. Right now I?m trying to find somewhere I can rent a truck at he end of September to drive it back myself. The gentleman says he can keep the boat at his place as long as I can get it before October. I?m guessing Boat Buddies is a broker so I am going to try hem tomorrow. My passport is expired and I Don?t know if that?s a big deal for crossing back and forth with Canada. I go to Mexico all the time and they could care less that my passport is expired.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 06:36:27 PM »
If you don't have a valid passport an enhanced drivers license works and I believe a birth certificate is good, also in addition you need ArriveCan which is an app to prove VAX status

John
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL

Offline chuckie

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a Real ID so if I bring my expired passport and birth certificate I should be good to go? I have my VAX card so that should be easy to do. Only thing that really worries me is the trailer has homemade tags on it. It doesn?t have a VIN number. What is a good border crossing to use so I can get myself familiar?

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 06:45:31 PM »
GIL_CV21, how far are you from Holyoke? My dad is from Holyoke. I may be able to fly out and rent and truck to go across and pick it up then come and salivate over your CV-21. I think I can get someone like Boat Buddy to help me with getting the paperwork t get it across. I wouldn?t be able to drive it back to SD right away. I would want to have it shipped.
I'm about an hour and 20 east of Holyoke, I got 11 acres out in the sticks , if you can get it here you're than welcome to park it here until you can get arrangements to ship it

Offline chuckie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 07:06:45 PM »
GIL-CV21, what city if you don?t mind. I am going to Change my uship quote and see what I can come up with and thank you so very much for the offer.

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »
I'm in Hubbardston

Offline chuckie

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 09:52:56 AM »
So new headache?.. the boat itself is allowed to enter the US but the trailer will not be allowed since it does not have a DOT stamp or VIN. They said I could probably float the boat over the border in the water and have to do nothing but that would leave me needing a trailer to pick it up with on the US side so if I can?t find a trailer I?m stuck.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 05:15:58 PM »
So leave the trailer attached and just idle it across the lake/border?   When i build a trailer here(Nebraska) I register it by lengths, axles, and weight, and they provide the VIN.    Surely there must be some other recourse?   
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline chuckie

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
I am trying to talk the guy into going to get a VIN put on it and offered to pay for it. I see that as my only alternative. The process will be really easy with that.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 09:09:01 AM »
Found this article on off shore.com. About bringing in a boat from Canada.   Really boils down to "who" is crossing with it.   Im curious, wouldn't the boat and trailer be of us manufacture?     Not sure its an option but maybe bring an unloaded licensed trailer to pick up boat?  I thought about taking a tandem across and putting the boat/trailer on it, but fairly certain that wouldn't fly either.   Anyway here is the link

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/340315-buying-boat-canada-bringing-usa-i-learned-quite-bit.html
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline thewillets

• 1965 Futura 500 V164
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 09:53:29 PM »
In Minnesota you can a license a homemade trailer with a permanent license without having the trailer at the DMV. You could license it bring the sticker across the border and slap it on the trailer and you have a license trailer.
1965 Futura 500 V164

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 09:05:37 PM »
Crossed the border into Canada  today and then the US let me back in. Sent you a PM.
John
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL