General Category > General Discussion

What weight of oil??

<< < (2/2)

cv-19:

The newer oils have less zinc than they use to . About 1200 ppm is
 good level for older engines . Standard 10-30    10-40 oils are much lower.
  The Valvoline VR1 oil is a good choice and the Diesel oils have the higher zinc.
  Mobil 1 15-50 syn. has a higher level than most other syn. just under 1200 ppm.
  I know thats not the Question you asked, but something you should know when
  making an choice.

ford-bldr:
Caveat: People are "Loyal to their Oil" so everybody's opinion matters... to them.
So listen to whatever you want.

First off let me qualify myself. 9 years selling Specialized Lubes to Industrial Accounts.

That only means that my opinion only matters as much as anyone else with a keyboard.

Plugcheck, still_fishin and CV-19 are in the right ballpark.

If it doesn't have a catalytic converter in it then run racing oils.
Higher zinc makes your motor last longer - Cam life goes way up.

I'll try to keep it simple...

Off the shelves additives are just that - Additives. Put in a quart of "oil stabilizer" goo in and it gives you 1 quart less of lubricating oil.
Think about that....
Think about this... Remember how that stuff pours? Your oil filter is full of that stuff and the oil is running "bypass" right around that filter until you warm up.

Good Blends are the best of both worlds.
Synthetics don't like additives (Detergents etc) but run forever. Dino juices like additives and dissipate heat better.
Remember the saying "Oil cools as much as it lubricates". ?

That being said, Boats and old cars would benefit from running Racing Oil.
Higher zinc is where it's at. Shaeffers has a higher zinc content than anyone. See the links and make your choice.

People ran Rotella because it had a higher zinc content. No more. The Government put a stop to that.
So far they've left the racing oils alone.

Oh by the way, just because it says synthetic doesn't mean it's better anymore. New technology has given us a slew of junk synthetics that are not any better than the "Blue Bottle Big Box stuff.

https://crateinsider.com/content/HRE-Oil-Test-Dyno-Charts.pdf

https://crateinsider.com/oil-testing-data-by-hendren-racing-engines/

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version