General Category > General Discussion

CV16-SS project

(1/27) > >>

Rotek:
---RENAMED THE POST PREVIOUSLY NAMED "DASHBOARD" TO CV16-SS PROJECT---
---THIS IS WHERE I WILL POST THE RESTORATION PROGRESS---

Heya Glastroners!

I have just bought a project boat. It is a 1975 Carlson CV16-SS. The boat is not in great shape at this moment, but hey, I said it's a project boat :D
I will be posting photos here from time to time as the restoration progresses.

Unfortunately, the boat came without a dashboard. I have already done some research and it seems that the dash is impossible to find anywhere. So I am thinking about doing something totally different. The plan is to fabricate the dashboard from carbon fiber and not use standard analog gauges. The idea is to make a custom digital dashboard. I know that hard-core classic Glastron fans will not be too happy with this, but I think it can look really cool.
I will most probably use a super-wide 12.3" screen to display the complete dashboard with various gauges. If it turns out that one screen isn't wide enough to accommodate all the gauges I can add a second one to make the dashboard even wider.

I plan on doing the following digital gauges:

RPM
Speed
Battery Voltage
Temperature
Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Trim Position

Can someone help me with identifying the signals/voltages/resistances that are usually coming to the standard gauges? For example, what voltage should I expect at the Temperature signal wire, or what kind of signal is normally at the RPM gauge?

Thanks

Plugcheck:
Its your boat, do what you want.   Biggest concern would be will the new digital dash be waterproof or at least water resistant?   Gauges in boats are in a hostile environment, where even normal auto gauges will fail.   RPM should be standard Kettering type ignition, assuming I/O Merc 140.   Oil pressure is prob 10-80 ohms, temp likely 20-120.  Trim is adjustable and somewhat objective, adjusted at the drive.   I set mine(zero'd) by putting drive all the way in, then adjust the cup to read down.   I scratch built a custom engine analyzer as a thesis project a long time ago.  I calibrated oil pressure using a lab pressure gauge and master cylinder, the temperature sensor using boiling water.   RPM calibrated with square wave generator, etc.    Honestly it sounds like a great project, but in the end, I spend my time boating watching and enjoying the scenery and my company, not concentrating on dash(unless its a new engine of cours).  Given that, insure you have at least two Idiot lights, one for the alternator, which also shows a loss of drive belt causing loss of coolant flow.   The second idiot light is oil pressure, VDO makes a great sensor with both oil pressure gauge and idiot light outputs, so best of both worlds.   Lastly, speedo can be accomplished with gps interface, but a pressure sensor on a pitot tube could work ok if you could research the pressure vrs speed chart.   GPS is far more reliable, pitot's get kicked out of position, clogged by debris, and occasionally issues with tubing arise.    Take pics, would love to see your progress.

Hyperacme:
I think Shawn & Joe made a mold of a CV16SS dash.
I have seen where new boats have interface with engine and drive thru digital black magic .. LOL

Post pictures of your progress !

Rotek:
Okay, so here are some photos of the boat as it was when I bought it.
Only 8 photos are allowed in one post, so the rest goes in the next one.

Rotek:
Rest of the photos...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version