General Category > General Discussion

Slightly OT - New Dock

(1/3) > >>

ford-bldr:
Haven't been here in awhile.
Dealt with the Blight and the busyness it caused and projects bumping Plum Crazy out of the way.

Location is Seneca Lake - Finger Lakes  Upstate NY

Long story short on the old dock.
It was sold with my old house with 89' of frontage (Converted cottage to year round) with a "lifetime use" lift - that was on a handshake. His biz went belly up and he lost it.

I still have 200' of frontage so here we go:

There is an existing cribbing that I'm building off. I'll raise the height of the decking to match the dock.

Seneca Lake is a Navigable Water Way (accessible to the ocean) so clearance from the Coast Guard was gotten along with the usual State DEC morass of idiocy...

Most of the runway decking and the cribbing decking will be recycled. My beach is the "Catchers Mitt" of Seneca lake for anything coming out of the North (25miles).
I have whole docks, swim platforms , loose Lumber, Boats and bumpers and buoys float up.
I have a name for this : "Float-em-ups". The runways will be 2x material and I may have enough to cover the cribbing with 5/4 decking material. All "Float-em-ups.

The trusses are from a house not far from here. 28' span. 14 of them makes a 28' square area 2' OC.
The style is in the Craftsman vein.

3Lifts
Century
Glastron
PWC - TBD

A 12x16 Living area under cover.
Seems everybody goes to shade after being on the lake all day so that's the reason for the roof.
If you want more sun, there's 200 ft you can go sit on.

The Glastron and PWC lifts will be Ace style plate hoists.
The Century lift is what is locally called a Schamel Hoist after the contractor that has used it since the late sixties. Most are still being used today.

My dock contractor has done most of the basic framing and the rest is up to me.
He was supposed to be done in June and just shoed up 2 weeks ago. Oh well, I'll take it.

So far...

ford-bldr:
Style Pics
Inspirational stuff,
The "Gable Colors is my house. Will try to match it.
It will look like a boathouse without being one because the state put a moratorium on boat houses.

ford-bldr:
Most of the Float-em-ups that I used were stringers.
The old deck boards that I used were installed "smile side up" where they would be exposed to major weather.

It looked pretty sad until I trimmed the edges. (Kept the Labrador Retrievers busy.)

Squaring up the larger deck joists and adding blocking between them.

Glastronjohn18:
A lot of work but it's coming along nicely. With your canine helper you should be done in no time. Betty and I wanted to get out on Seneca or Cayuga Lakes this year but a bad knee cut our boating season short. We're just down the river in Syracuse. Keep up the good work.

ford-bldr:
BACK TO THE SHORE!

Had a week of unseasonably warm weather so we sorted out all the lumber that we could use. (Float-em-ups )

We're raising the level of the cribbing to match.
I had to buy the 2x12s (Darn) 2 -16 footers and 1 - 12 footer.
The stuff down the middle is Float-em-up scraps.

Ran Conduit.

I transitioned to ground level by cutting the shorter 2x12 diagonally in half. It equals 1" rise over 1 foot in length. Works out to be ADA compliant.
Hardly feels like you're walking uphill. Worked out nice.

Terry my wife fed me lumber while I screwed it down.

Cleaned the top of the boards with peroxide based deck cleaner. (Terry already did the bottom side.)

Snapped lines and trimmed them up!

Going to add another piling at the end of the Glastron lift to get it out further.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version