Author Topic: Out with the old, in with the new  (Read 8212 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Out with the old, in with the new
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
My dash panel project is finally coming to an end. Tonight will be wiring night and I'll install it in the morning. Quite a bit of an upgrade over what I took out of the CVX. A mix-match of gauges and switches, cracked and faded panel was a bit unsightly for me so I decided to redo the whole thing.

Not bad for $175. That includes all five new gauges, new switches, formica, and wiring.  I set it in the dash late Wednesday night after backing the formica with 1/4 inch plywood and cutting the holes for the gauges. It looks great. The gauges are new but don't look out of place, too modern, for the '77 CVX. The tan background and lightly tinted glass keeps them from standing out like a sore thumb.

One more winter project almost completed.  Need to finish painting the rear storage area tomorrow and when that dries I can finish the mounting of the ski pylon and then start my wiring heading to the fuse block. I should be able to finish the console, install the speakers and get it all tied in by Sunday evening. Busy weekend ahead on the CVX.

Marc

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Out with the old, in with the new
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
The new  ;D

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »
Looks great! When I rebuilt the dash in my old CVX16 I ended up planing down a piece of teakwood to the desired thickness and then forming, cutting, ect. Looked pretty good but probably not the way I would do it again. I hated the fact that everything on that boat was fused back to the motor so I completely rewired the whole boat complete with a fuse box located under the dash. It also allowed me room to add a stereo, bilge pump, and courtesy lights.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:53:10 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
Thanks!  Your panel looks great as well.  I'd thought about using solid wood but the price of teak is crazy and then I didn't have access to a planer. Just plugged it in and turned the key. Tach dropped to "0" , voltage went to 13 and the fuel gauge needle made a little move. I'll have it in tomorrow and have it all hooked up.

The items pictured were Christmas gifts. A Blue Sea Systems fuse block with negative bus. I ordered some 8 ga. power wire to run from the battery in the rear to power the block. Will have an inline fuse (pictured) at the battery and everything will be fused now.  Heat shrink on all connectors and I will not have the rat nest of wires under the dash anymore. I found three wires from the dash to the battery that were not connected plus an old depth finder signal cable. Everything will be nice and neat when I'm finished.

Mine only had a couple of fuses. Most was direct wired.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
Looks really nice Marc!
Hey let me (us) know what you're going to do with the old gauges. I may be interested in one or two.

I always put a terminal block under the dash when I rewire. I run large gauge wires up from the battery, then jumper several terminals together for hots, grounds etc. Then branch out from there. To me, its cleaner.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
Thanks.  I wanted to use the old speedo but after looking around at what some matching gauges would run I figured I'd go with a new set.

I'm with you on the wiring. I can't stand the look and just the potential hazard of sloppy wiring. Nothing is marked, lamp cord here and there.  I ordered all new marine wire for $70 for the entire boat. Small investment for peace of mind.

Heading outside to start working on it now.  What gauges are you interested in?  Make me an offer and if it sounds fair we can go from there.

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Looks great, I did mine last year in white, like the clock, what happend to the trim guage?

Joe

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
Trim gauge wasn't connected when I got the boat. When I had to rebuild the trim unit on the original 115, I found that the wire for the trim sender was cut off at the bracket. I jumped it with some test leads and the gauge never moved. The 88 doesn't have a trim sender so I just removed it. I have some spare gauges I'll post on here later if anyone can use one or multiple gauges.

Have just about everything wired. I need to install the fuse panel then I can finish the circuits.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
The new instrument panel looks great Marc!  I know some folks prefer the original or vintage look, and that's okay.  As long as it's in the name of performance or function, I'm all for it.   ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Thanks for the thumbs up on the gauge panel. I'm always a fan of vintage items. I wanted to stick with the original Airguide speedo but I didn't want all different style gauges on the dash. (ANAL) I like everything to match.

After searching around I went with the Teleflex Sahara line as they are a mild tan with a slight bronze tint to the glass. Even though they are new they go with the boat quite well when mounted on the dash.

I hope to take it for a ride tomorrow. All gauges pass the test today with the exception of the speedo for obvious reasons. Nice to turn the key and see all the gauges doing their job.

Next month will be the seats and I'll be done with it. Ready for May so I can pull out the slalom ski and play on the water.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
Looks GREAT !
Good choice on style ...
Some times going new is your best choice.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
I'm not really sure. My 61 has the original speedo and I dont know if it works plus there is another large hole cut in the dash to the right of the wheel. I want to put something in there whether its hooked up or not, just to fill the hole. I found an old Sears in my boat junk and was thinking of sticking that in there but the hole is too big. I cut a peice of Plexiglass to cover the larger hole and hold the tach but I'd have to paint it or something to hide the rest of the hole. Not sure. I'lll need to look at it. Hole size is the biggest factor. I'll likely keep the original speedo in there for looks regardless if it works or not. SO to answer your question, likely a tach? Could you measure the outside diameter of that one and let me know. It looks large and may fill the opening I have.
If you want, you can PM me with what you'd like for it. I assume it works? Then I'll need to figure out how and where to wire it into the motor. I am SURE someone here would know. I know its just two wires and one goes to the distributor or coil but... thats down the line. I dont even have the motor yet and dropping this one in the water is quite a ways off.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:45:09 AM by Rosscoe »
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Out with the old, in with the new (It's in.....)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
Got an early start this morning and finished wiring the gauge panel. The old panel was siliconed on the sides and bottom while pop-rivets held the top down. I really didn't want to drill any holes in the new panel so I used 3M auto trim tape (1/2" wide) on the top and sides while a small bead of silicone keeps the bottom from vibrating. Only thing left to do is tie in all the switch wires and grounds to the fuse block. That will come next week as I finish the center console box.

I have to say that I'm impressed with how good it turned out.  After I picked up all the tools and trash I vacuumed the interior, replaced the battery and fired it up on the hose. As stated earlier in this post, the only gauge without confirmation that it works is the speedo. That will have to wait until next weekend.

I did use some of the remaining Formica to cover the side panel on the drivers side below the control box. It had a dark brown vinyl with a wood grain pattern on it. Drilled out the rivets on the data plate and now it matches the dash panel. I'll replace the data plate this week.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »
looks great!

I am one for all original but those gauges you installed even have a little bit of a classic look to them. I really like the white faces. Nice job!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »
Thanks, Jason.

I was hoping to find something that would blend with the age of the boat and the Teleflex Sahara line fit the bill. The faces are a khaki color and the glass has a slight bronze tint which helps tone them down. My neighbors came to check out the project and agreed that they blend very well.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
Success!  Finished the center console today and now have it all wired and everything works like it is supposed to. Installed the Blue Seas fuse panel, one each interior light on each side of the console and the glove box. I was trying to think of where I would mount the antenna for the radio where no one could see it. I closed off the speaker enclosures with a top piece of plywood so I just laid the antenna across the back and secured it with screw down wire holders.  Works perfect.

Only thing I have left is to wire the switch for the depth finder and horn switch.  I'll take some finished and installed pics tomorrow. I'm ready to hit the river tomorrow. What a better way to spend my birthday.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
Looks great Marc, and Happy Birthday!
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »
That looks great. What is the console covered in?
Did you get my PM about the tach? I'll take it. Send me your info if you have paypal.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
Thank you for the b-day wish and the thumbs up on the console.  It's covered with the same carpet as what's on the floor. I need to make two panels and cover them with carpet today to finish each side of the foot board as I call it. Then the front and all the wiring will be completed.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
IT'S DONE!!!!!  Just carpeted two panels for each side of the console and installed them to finish the front of the cockpit. Glad that's done.