Author Topic: Marine vs. Car Stereo speakers  (Read 6827 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Marine vs. Car Stereo speakers
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
All this stereo talk brings back memories from the late 80's to mid 90's from my big stereo days. I had a '86 Dodge D50 mini truck with a solid fiberglass camper on the bed. I had removed the rear window of the truck and had a boot that would keep all the elements out. The truck was silver with black accents. I carpeted the bed and camper with lite gray carpet and had a black carpeted box with 6 - 15" KICKER competition subs that were 2 ohm. In the cab I had modified the door panels to house 1 x 6 1/2" two way and a 6 1/2" mid range per door. MB Quart tweeters on the windshield pillars. I ran a DENON head unit and 6 disc changer, which was pretty obscure in 1986 - 87. Driving the speakers were red series ORION amps. The sub amps were running at 1/2 ohm load and pushing 1200 watts of clean power per amp. Another red series was pushing the mids and highs at 500 watts.

It was a very clean sounding system and not one of those boom -boom distorted things you hear on the road. I had a marine battery in the bed and had a Perko battery switch under the dash so I could charge the marine battery while driving.

After I outgrew that faze I went with a full MB Quart system in a "88 Mustang GT and then a '94 Z28. The Z28 had 1 x 12" sub mounted in the cargo well and 4 x 6 1/2" MB Quarts in the factory locations I used a 6 channel A/D/S amp running on 5 channels (2 combined for the sub). That was a clean sounding and plenty loud system. All was hidden except for the head unit.

As for the CVX, I'm about to purchase a new head unit. The JVC in the dash is 8 years old and just started to crap out. I had already installed 2 6 1/2" two way MB Quarts under the dash and I have a second set to mount after I finally finish the interior. The MB Quarts are German made and I've used their speakers for nearly 25 years. These I installed are automotive speakers but use a poly cone and rubber surround. Should last for years. I sold the Z28 in 2010 with all the original MB Quarts in it and it still rocked after 14 years of heavy use.

Check out this place. http://www.sonicelectronix.com  Excellent prices and they sell all the top brands like JBL, Polk, MB Quart, Kenwood, Sony and more. The MB Quarts I have are the ONX 116 and they had free shipping and were around $60 - $70 a pair. Four of those and a good head unit should put you around $300 to $350 and provide plenty of quality sound. The two I run on the old JVC are crystal clear and can be heard pretty well over the 115 going down the river. When I have the 2nd pair installed it should be even better.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:38:06 PM by wiliermdb »