Author Topic: How to swap from a 93 mercruiser 3.0 to a 84 Mercruiser 140, thanks!  (Read 11677 times)

Offline buckz6319

Re: How to swap from a 93 mercruiser 3.0 to a 84 Mercruiser 140, thanks!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I just got back in from starting the engine cold. i took a video of it, and will post is as soon as it uploads to youtube ")

I had a slight misfire but got most of it out by removing the Big Red round switch that was next to the battery, now on to checking everything else out, to ensure I have all the bugs worked out of this engine before I remove it
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »
Buck it looks like you need a distributor gasket and that should solve your leak there.
thanks for the input. I agree, and I checked the torque on the dizzy hold down, and is was not tight, probably timing is off too because of that. I will check for leak, if that is resolved, then I will check timing.

The alternator is not putting in any juice to the battery, and it feels hot. The bottom bold didn't have a nut on it to secure the alternator, so maybe the bearing is bad. I have to check out the wiring also. I am not sure at this point it is wired correctly

Your right on the alternator, if it is getting hot bearings are the most likely cause but, pull it and do a slow spin to feel if the bearings are truly rough because you could have other problems too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:45:02 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
Buck it looks like you need a distributor gasket and that should solve your leak there.
thanks for the input. I agree, and I checked the torque on the dizzy hold down, and is was not tight, probably timing is off too because of that. I will check for leak, if that is resolved, then I will check timing.

The alternator is not putting in any juice to the battery, and it feels hot. The bottom bold didn't have a nut on it to secure the alternator, so maybe the bearing is bad. I have to check out the wiring also. I am not sure at this point it is wired correctly
Lol that is what I get for having so many things on my mind, and too mayn distractions going on here, with my youngest daughter who is 22 moving out today:(

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
Sorry buck my tablet was acting up I edited my last post with what I wanted to say.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
here is the video of the Mercruiser 140 cold start, sorry it gets noisy at the rear because of a bad out drive bearing or gimbal bearing
http://youtu.be/oT-gZa_bpNw
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:55:22 PM by buckz6319 »

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:59 PM »
The gimbal bearing sounds like it's toast.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
I would say you have a very sound engine there buck! I say pull it and drop it in the hull you want and see what it does.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »

[/quote]Your right on the alternator, if it is getting hot bearings are the most likely cause but, pull it and do a slow spin to feel if the bearings are truly rough because you could have other problems too.
[/quote]
other problems?

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
The gimbal bearing sounds like it's toast.
I thought it was bad, yet you folks know more about these stern drives than I do. I am still a rookie. The out drive is complex and requires a lot more time to figure out

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
I would say you have a very sound engine there buck! I say pull it and drop it in the hull you want and see what it does.

I felt like the engine will be good but it has some issues that I have to work out before i pull it, once I pull her out then I will set it aside. I would to put her in the  Chap, however i have to rebuild my front stringer mount, the glass is good and strong, but the wood inside is rotten.

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
once I get to the point that I can remove the engine, I will remove the riser and intake/exhaust manifold, need to check them out

Offline MarkS

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:03 AM »
Glad to see your plan is coming together Dwayne, 'bout time right!?  Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc. will check the alternator for free when you get it pulled off (IF the bearings sound okay).  Checking the wiring and connections also a good idea, sometimes it's as simple as a loose ground wire or a corroded connection. 
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »
Glad to see your plan is coming together Dwayne, 'bohut time right!?  Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, etc. will check the alternator for free when you get it pulled off (IF the bearings sound okay).  Checking the wiring and connections also a good idea, sometimes it's as simple as a loose ground wire or a corroded connection.
Mark, good to hear from you:)
Yes, it's bout time:)
I will have the alternator checked if bad, i have the other one as a back up, and i know it work's

The wiring is kinda a mess on this engine. I am thinking maybe i should swap all electrical components including the wiring harnes, from the 93 to the 86?

The 93 has ps and im not sure if i want to install that system on this 86?

Any advice will much be appreciated
Thanks...

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 10:05:16 AM »

Your right on the alternator, if it is getting hot bearings are the most likely cause but, pull it and do a slow spin to feel if the bearings are truly rough because you could have other problems too.
[/quote]
other problems?

The wiring is kinda a mess on this engine. I am thinking maybe i should swap all electrical components including the wiring harnes, from the 93 to the 86?

Thanks...
[/quote]

Sorry Dwayne, what i should have said was maybe hook it up to a test bench at an out parts store and see what it does if the bearings dont feel bad while you rotate it by hand.

On swapping the electrical harness and components from the 93 to the 86 I would say yes move it. My thought behind this is parts for that 93 engine will be more available at marine shops than for older models.

On your power steering question. I would keep it installed in the 93, all you will have to do is put the water pump pulley on the 86 and mount the pump to the 86. I know everything bolts up because I just added to my 1975 140 and all the parts came off of a 93. Plus it makes steering the boat at all speeds much easier and allows you to enjoy the ride more.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

Your right on the alternator, if it is getting hot bearings are the most likely cause but, pull it and do a slow spin to feel if the bearings are truly rough because yhiou could have other problems too.
other problems?

Thanks...
[/quote]

Sorry Dwayne, what i should have said was maybe hook it up to a test bench at an out parts store and see what it does if the bearings dont feel bad while you rotate it by hand.

On swapping the electrical harness and components from the 93 to the 86 I would say yes move it. My thought behind this is parts for that 93 engine will be more available at marine shops than for older models.

On your power steering question. I would keep it installed in the 93, all you will have to do is put the water pump pulley on the 86 and mount the pump to the 86. I know everything bolts up because I just added to my 1975 140 and all the parts came off of a 93. Plus it makes steering the boat at all speeds much easier and allows you to enjoy the ride more.
[/quote]
Thanks Brandon
I was thinking that the ps uses hp, and from whai I have heard bout these 140s and 3.0 is " they need more HP"

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »
Actually, the PS does take a little HP away but not much. I really don't notice my 140 grunting until I do a tight turn at low rps. During regular cruising and speed runs it has no problem doing what I ask of it. Even when I was putting the new engine through its paces playing around I never noticed a lack of power. Check out the video its the most fun I have ever had driving my star flight.

On the 140 needing more HP  no it doesn't need more hps its got plenty of torque and torque is what pushes you in the water. But if you want a little more power out of the 140 if it has dish top pistons change them to the flat top pistons and feed it premium fuel it will liven it up a little more.

http://youtu.be/1cDEArlVNLo
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:50:15 AM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »
But if you want a little more power out of the 140 if it has dish top pistons change them to the flat top pistons and feed it premium fuel it will liven it up a little more.

Is that what you did Brandon? My 140 will be needing a rebuild soon too.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
But if you want a little more power out of the 140 if it has dish top pistons change them to the flat top pistons and feed it premium fuel it will liven it up a little more.

Is that what you did Brandon? My 140 will be needing a rebuild soon too.

I will do it for a slight fee ;-)

BTW sent you a pm
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
Actually, the PS does take a little HP away but not much. I really don't notice my 140 grunting until I do a tight turn at low rps. During regular cruising and speed runs it has no problem doing what I ask of it. Even when I was putting the new engine through its paces playing around I never noticed a lack of power. Check out the video its the most fun I have ever had driving my star flight.

On the 140 needing more HP  no it doesn't need more hps its got plenty of torque and torque is what pushes you in the water. But if you want a little more power out of the 140 if it has dish top pistons change them to the flat top pistons and feed it premium fuel it will liven it up a little more.

http://youtu.be/1cDEArlVNLo
I guess you showed me what the 140 can do lol, looks like your having a ball!

Now on the flat top pistons. I have no problem rebuilding this engine and installing flat top pistons. I even have the flat top pistons from the 93 3.0 :)

at some point I will search Mercruiser parts and see which pistons this 140 has

ps i will be sending you a video link soon