Author Topic: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!  (Read 53661 times)

Offline Scott in nh

CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:35:14 AM »
Finally got a good start on this project yesterday.
As you will see from the pictures the PO did an unsatisfactory job replacing the floor.

I pulled the motor and put it on my motorcycle trailer.

While I was doing that my SO took off the rails and snaps and started wet sanding the hull with 1000 grit.

It looks like I will be needing a left side exhaust manifold as the same PO apparently let it freeze and "fixed" the crack with JB Weld.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:37:19 AM by Scott in nh »

Offline Rosscoe

Re: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
Hope that's the only crack.

"unsatisfactory job"

Nicely put. Being kind

Great to have a helping hand
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
We did start the motor on muffs before I bought it, didn't see any water coming out and I did winterize it.
So hopefully that is the extent of the damage.

I got the rest of the outdrive out yesterday and removed the PO's repair work (I will post pictures later from home).
His work was not attached to the boat so it just lifted right out including the stringers!  :o

The transom was pretty solid, but still had a couple of soft spots.

Do you guys have a link to or extra information (dims) about the cradle(s) you built?

I just came up with the great idea of putting the cradle on the trailer I have for my GT160.

It will be much easier to build on then the combination bunk/roller trailer it is on now.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
As promised:

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Do you guys have a link to or extra information (dims) about the cradle(s) you built?

I posted some pics on your other thread about stringer patterns. I used 12'  2x6's. Doran said he'll post pics tonight also. Any q's  please ask.

John
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
We finally had a nice hot August weekend, so I didn't get as much done as I planned because we took the GT-160 over to a larger lake for the day on Saturday.
Today I went at the starboard side engine stringer and took the gas tank out.
My floatations boxes and foam are in good condition so I am leaving them in.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
We had a wedding to attend on Saturday and it was rainy yesterday, but I used the cover as a tent and went for it - made ok progress considering...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Nice work.  I do have to tell you that I've never seen or heard of a flotation box not being wet when the rest of the boat is rotted...you really ought to take those out and put back in new wood and foam.  Now is the time.  Mine looked ok too, but they were soaked.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »
Nice work.  I do have to tell you that I've never seen or heard of a flotation box not being wet when the rest of the boat is rotted...you really ought to take those out and put back in new wood and foam.  Now is the time.  Mine looked ok too, but they were soaked.

I agree with Doran, those boxes will be soaked in the very rear of the hull. Front half of mine were dry but the rest was extremely  wet!

On another note, I will try to get you some dimensions and pictures of what is left of my stringers plus dimensions of my front stringer template since I will be cutting in the next couple of days.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »
I thought leaving them would spark some comments and was surprised when no one had anything to say.

I guess everyone's mind was on the meet!

On the Starboard side I did cut between the floor fiberglass and the box front to back and zero water came out.

I'll take a closer look, but I'm not ready to give up on leaving them yet.

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
I never hand any water come out of mine either. it just gets trapped in the foam. That old foam is horrendous for retaining moisture unlike the new foam which water flows through.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »

When I replaced the transom, stringers and floors in my '71 GT160 (in '92 without the aid of the internet showing me the way lol), I cut out the flotation boxes and the foam was dry.

So now you've heard of one  ;D

EDIT: I hope the above comes across with the humor intended. in 92 I wasn't sure if I could take the top deck off without losing the hull shape, so I managed to find a way to do the transom with it on!

Also, looking at your pictures - didn't you leave yours in?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:04:14 AM by Scott in nh »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »
My foam was soaked, each trash bag weighed between 50-70lbs, it was horrible.  Not everyone has this experience, but many do.  As for forms/drawings, I sat on nside and cut cardboard to fit, then taped together.  Gave me the basic cuts, but still had massaging to do.  It was not a fast process.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »
I never hand any water come out of mine either. it just gets trapped in the foam. That old foam is horrendous for retaining moisture unlike the new foam which water flows through.

Next weekend I'll take a hole saw to the lower rear section and get a 'core sample"

Even if it is wet I have another idea  ;D

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
On another note, I will try to get you some dimensions and pictures of what is left of my stringers plus dimensions of my front stringer template since I will be cutting in the next couple of days.

Thank you!!!

I can work from "back of napkin" drawings, maybe just a length of the stringer and height measurements every foot from where it starts to curve.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
My foam was soaked, each trash bag weighed between 50-70lbs, it was horrible.  Not everyone has this experience, but many do.  As for forms/drawings, I sat on nside and cut cardboard to fit, then taped together.  Gave me the basic cuts, but still had massaging to do.  It was not a fast process.

In a previous life I worked for myself installing/sanding/finishing hardwood floors, so while I can make the templates, I understand how long it will take.

That's why I'm hoping a kind soul can take some rudimentary measurements that I can massage from rather than starting from scratch.

As I mentioned, I will take a core sample of the foam, if it is wet it is coming out, but I haven't given up on leaving the wood or most of the wood in and taking the foam out.

Redoing the wood/fiberglass/foam to look the same as the factory is pretty involved, other solutions I have seen I don't like (but am open to suggestions).

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
Others have used foam insulation boards to make temples with, easy to shape into stringers, transom, decking and flotation boxes.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
Others have used foam insulation boards to make temples with, easy to shape into stringers, transom, decking and flotation boxes.

That is easy for the transom & floors, a little harder but not bad for bulkheads, but for the stringers you need to know where the floor is without having a floor in place.

So you have to cut maybe six to eight1" x 2" to go across and then measure down to the hull - I'm hoping to avoid that....

Offline MarkS

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
When I was constructing the center stringer for my GT 150 without a pattern I used the following method;

Measure the tallest portion of the stinger and cut your board to that height.  With the hull level, lay your stringer board in the boat with the forward end against the hull.  Raise the aft end until it's level, and take a compass (like protractor and compass) and scribe the contour of the hull onto the board starting aft and moving forward.  This gives you the (almost) exact contour of the hull on the bottom of your stringer board, and pretty close to the right height. 

Don't forget to leave 1/4" for bedding material under the stringer to prevent "hard spot", if you follow that theory.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:22 PM »
When I was constructing the center stringer for my GT 150 without a pattern I used the following method;

Measure the tallest portion of the stinger and cut your board to that height.  With the hull level, lay your stringer board in the boat with the forward end against the hull.  Raise the aft end until it's level, and take a compass (like protractor and compass) and scribe the contour of the hull onto the board starting aft and moving forward.  This gives you the (almost) exact contour of the hull on the bottom of your stringer board, and pretty close to the right height. 

Don't forget to leave 1/4" for bedding material under the stringer to prevent "hard spot", if you follow that theory.

Hmmm....That is pretty much how you would scribe flooring to fit around a fireplace or against a wall that isn't very straight and you are right - works like a charm.

On the CVZ the walk through makes it not possible to get the uncut board over the strake and under the fiberglass at the front which means it won't be over the strake anywhere.

!/4" seems like a lot to leave for bedding??

My hull seems to have returned mostly to the correct shape now that most of the weight is out of her, but unless she sits perfectly flat on the cradle I am planning on strategically putting weight on the stringers during install to take the hook out of the hull.

If I have done my cutting right, this will not leave much bedding under the stringer at all - or am I missing something?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:36:14 PM by Scott in nh »