Author Topic: First Evinrude ... Now Glastron ..  (Read 1822 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: First Evinrude ... Now Glastron ..
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
Yup, she's dead, Jim. 

Unless there's some strategic buyer out there...Larson's gone, now Glastron. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »
Pretty soon the only boats you are going to be able to buy are either wake boats, pontoon boats, or fishing boats.  And, wake boats consistently run over $100K new.

Could be interesting to see what happens to the value of traditional speed boats (closed bow) and open bow runabouts that are in good condition if there are very few new ones hitting the market.  Speaking for myself, I restored my Glastron (GX 185 SF) because I couldn't find a new boat that was as comfortable and did watersports and fishing as well as the boat I already had and that was when the marine industry was relatively healthy.

Hopefully someone realizes there is a lot of equity in the Glastron brand and SSV technology.  For my money, the SSV hull is just about the best all-around hull I've ever driven.  Spent last weekend pounding huge walleyes on Lake Notgonnatellya out of a 21 foot Lund.  Hole shot terrible and bow rise was unbelievable (bad) in comparison to my Glastron.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:34:00 AM by 185GXSF-Guy »
2001 GX 185 SF

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

2001 GX 185 SF

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »
Boat sales are at a all time high !
Maybe less profit margin in lower class brands.

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 07:12:14 AM »
Boat sales are at a all time high !
Maybe less profit margin in lower class brands.
I suppose it depends on when you start measuring - boat sales are at an all-time high since March 2020 when COVID "forced" factories to close!  The article says Scarab is doing well, but doesn't say Glastron is doing well and it sounds like Glastron has quality issues from the posts on their corporate Facebook page :

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:14:19 AM by 185GXSF-Guy »
2001 GX 185 SF

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »
On one of the "Newer model" Glastron FB groups, there are more complaints about beep code on motors then other issues.
Seems dealers can't fix problems. Most issues are from Glastron's parts vendors and long wait time for dealer service.
Lot of gauges quite working, but also not a Glastron part.

I'm just guessing that Glastron's are in the lower to mid class category.
Like Chris Craft, Cobalt, Crownline  would be upper end and Bayliner, Starcraft, etc. would be lower to mid end.

Would bet if you went to any other boat brands FB group you would see same issues posted.
Used boats on Craigslist and FB Marketplace are selling fast and for very high prices.

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 06:54:16 AM »
Speaking for myself (sample size of 1), when the boats were built in Little Falls, they seemed to be pretty well assembled even if priced in the low-to-mid-end of the market.  I never had gauges that just quit working, etc. 

Dealer service, of course, can make a huge difference.  The vast majority of problems I had was from my marine dealer (Crystal Pierz Marine - Forest Lake...no longer in business and for good reason).  Those issues included cracked engine block due to improper winterization, ripped upholstery after some routine maintenance, etc.  The boat dealer you work with can make a huge difference...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:02:44 AM by 185GXSF-Guy »
2001 GX 185 SF

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
Case in point, I have my 79 CVX16SS, but am looking for a used 21' open bow eliminator/ultra/carrera type ski boat with mercruiser I/O.

New these things are close to and over 100k, used for a 90s boat that hopefully has been maintained and without a moist floor is going to run $16-20k.

Same boat in a Jet, $12-$18k

That's a 30 year old boat... either way
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"