General Category > General Discussion

1980 CVZ 18 restoration

<< < (3/23) > >>

dorelse:

--- Quote from: Chippy on September 16, 2017, 09:42:53 PM ---Bolt holes were all solid. I'm thinking if I'm doing this I want to be ready for the next 20 years with it. I'm going to do the transom but might rethink the Coosa board as after seeing how well this basically held up with the way the factory did it, i will get many more years with the way this boat will be looked after. It will be interesting to see what the base of the transom looks like next to the stringers.
I really appreciate your guys input.

--- End quote ---

The only real improvement needed is to seal all the openings with resin (keyhole/bolt holes) once its recut/drilled, so that if there is a leak, water can't get to the wood.  That's the thing Glastron skipped...but if it checks out solid, you could still just seal up that bare wood and leave it.

Chippy:
Little more work completed. You guys didn't tell me how fun getting that gross carpet up is and those huge foam boxes at the back!!! Anyway each motor mount wet but still fairly dense,the starboard stringer at the rear wet but intact. The port side completely black and rotten. Hoping the bottom of the transom ok not at point of getting the stringers out hopefully next week.

Plugcheck:
I used a long sawzall blade to cut up my foot boxes.  Ended tearing all it it out, transom, floor, stringers.  I didn't want a patchwork. 

Chippy:
I agree totally. I'm taking it all out. The foam in the boxes had very little water if any but the foam along the stringers was heavy. Can't wait to drive this thing with the motor freshened up and that weight gone!!! Aaron sent pic of the new emblems being shipped and got the new hatch bolts coming as well. Still need a new vent cover on the one side if anyone sees one please let me know. Aaron has a line on some beautiful aluminum ones that are chromed but they are super expensive a little out of my comfort zone.

Plugcheck:
My foam was saturated, each trash bag weighed 50+ lbs.  I used the Carlson stickers and buried them in the clear coat.  Are you rebuilding the 305 or going bigger, 350, 383,  400+?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version