General Category > General Discussion

Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration

(1/33) > >>

awc105:
Hi All,

I was finally able to gather all the pictures I have taken on this project up until now. Here is a link to the album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPjG8hFVWJQfEm9WA
There is approx. 750 photos in there currently, some videos too.

For the power plant I decided to keep it period correct so I found 70's 888 parts boat (my dad has decided to restore that one, it was a slickcraft SS204). The guy I bought the parts boat from also happened to have a freshly rebuilt 302 (I'm a Ford guy anyway) that he threw in on the deal. So basically I got a whole 888 drive system with an extra rebuilt engine for $600.
It wasn't so easy though, this winter I wanted to get the spare engine all setup and run so I spent some time doing that and finding many disappointing things. Whoever rebuilt it must have just slapped it together because it was missing the oil pump driveshaft, the exhaust riser gaskets and block off plates, the fuel pump was bad, and they installed the thrust bearing in the wrong spot.
Anyways I fixed all those problems and re-torqued everything, broke it in, and it runs pretty great now.

As of right now the engine is in and resting on it's new mounts, I wanted to mach up the engine in there to make sure my new engine mounts were correct. I used 7 laminated layers of 3/4" plywood for the mounts.

The deck is installed and the foam has been poured underneath.

As of this week I replace  the dash cross support, the original was broken in two

Today I glued in the port side stiffener, a piece of 1/2" plywood. The original one was about 60% rotted, but the remaining 40% was a pain to remove... I was concerned the new plywood pieces wouldn't form to the curve very well, but they did just fine.

Anyways, I'm excited to share the rest of the journey!

fireman24mn:
Looks pretty good. I am also in the process of rebuilding a cv-16. Mine is a factory V8 boat.  What are your plans for and engine cover?

awc105:
Thanks! As far as the engine cover is concerned I plan to reattach the original flanges to the hull that the original opening had, then try to make a mold of a cover similar to what the original V8 cv-16s had. I've seen your restoration so far, looks good too! Is the link to the other photos working? First time using google photos.

awc105:
Pulled the engine back out today. Hoping to get to work on the construction of the area where the trim pump and battery go. Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like in the stern on both sides of the engine? I know portions of each side have foam in them, but I'm not quite sure how they should be constructed since they were already removed before I got the boat...

Before I pulled the engine back out I messed around with coupler alignment just to see what it was like and get a rough idea what I was in for on final assembly, I've got a lot of experience with a 4 cyl, but the v8 setup was new to me. After a half an hour or so I got it to go in with one finger so that was a good feeling. Interestingly enough the adjustment bolts fit a 33mm socket perfectly.

Besides that it was a beautiful day here, just a bit of wind but sunny and almost 60!

Hyperacme:
Joe has a few pictures here ..   http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=8488.20

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version