Author Topic: First Glastron Carlson CVX 16....CRACKED TOP DECK  (Read 3968 times)

Offline CarlsonCVX

First Glastron Carlson CVX 16....CRACKED TOP DECK
« on: September 11, 2021, 02:34:46 PM »
Bought a original 1985 CVX 16, Merc 115(Tower), and matching factory trailer. Excitement,  overshadowed reason.... saw caulking at rear cap rub rail, into engine tray area,  didn't expect it to be so bad.  Two days pounding the boat and two distinct POPS later....this, cracked top deck on each side of engine, transom rocks back  & forth an inch or two.

Almost looks like top cap was never joined together correctly, thru screws barely caught the edge of tep cap. Just secured a 13ft x 40ft storage unit, so planning to split the hull, strip it down, and rebuild it stronger than ever. Was thinking crazy, as in 2.5 litre crazy 🤪. I do have fiberglass knowledge, and ideas of the daunting task at hand.

Will be looking for a CVX 17 or 18 now to buy as well. That'll  handle a big engine better.

I'm in S.E Michigan btw.
1985 Carlson 16 CVX, Tower of Power 115 Merc, factory trailer. Hull separation coming winter of 21/22 to fix the cracked rear of top deck, stiffen hull to hold a 2.5 litre Merc😁

Online thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: First Glastron Carlson CVX 16....CRACKED TOP DECK
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »
Welcome?
Thankfully the damage is not worse.
Will be a great looking rig when completed. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum CarlsonCVX !   
Yep ... could have been MUCH worse   :o

Jeff has a 2.5L / 200 HP on the stern of his CVX16 ..
Some have used composite board instead of wood on transom, never have to worry about rot again.
I can post a few CVX16 / C500 rebuild threads if you would like to see what your getting into ...
Looking forward to up dates on your progress !

Offline CarlsonCVX

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum CarlsonCVX !   
Yep ... could have been MUCH worse   :o

Jeff has a 2.5L / 200 HP on the stern of his CVX16 ..
Some have used composite board instead of wood on transom, never have to worry about rot again.
I can post a few CVX16 / C500 rebuild threads if you would like to see what your getting into ...
Looking forward to up dates on your progress !

Absolutely. I've been reading alot of threads on various forums. A few guys have incredible YouTube videos. One guy has a 5 or 6 part time lapse series.

The boat came with a 3/8" or so aluminum transom plate that wraps the top, and both sides of transom, Uninstaller. Seller forgot that he had it made.  Planned on a set back (hydraulic possibly, weight) jack plate, and likely Mercury hydraulic  steering. Will definitely  add plenty of side to side, and front to rear reinforcement  to handle power and my abusive driving style. Even as is, 12 3/4" 21P prop she was a blast. This hull really is amazing in the 2-3ft small, busy lake chop.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:49:46 PM by CarlsonCVX »
1985 Carlson 16 CVX, Tower of Power 115 Merc, factory trailer. Hull separation coming winter of 21/22 to fix the cracked rear of top deck, stiffen hull to hold a 2.5 litre Merc😁

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator