Author Topic: CVX20 and a moron. The saga.  (Read 2684 times)

Offline redstealth20

CVX20 and a moron. The saga.
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
So,  the story so far. 

I sold my Youngblood TX20 and was not really looking for another boat when i stumbled across a 1976 CVX20 that was in cedar rapids Iowa.  So i drove out and met the owner,  nice guy, we took the boat down to the dock and threw it in the water.  Boat ran good but we could not take it out due to the river being flooded.  So i offered 6k to the owner and he took it.  So now i own a CVX20. 

We get the thing home and start to fix the small problems it has, which are as follows......hydraulic place diverter is inop,  Gas gauge inop, depth finder inop, Radio and boat are "wired" in a way that is very depressing.  (Scotch locks Scotch locks everywhere). Also one of the rear speakers is working-ish but its out of phase. 

So 2 new solenoids and a ground wire fix gets the place diverter working,  Gas gauge is found to be working but cant work due to float saturated with gas so i don't have a float, i have a sink?,  Depth finders problem was no fuse it now works, Eliminated Vast majority of scotch locks, fixed the radio , got the speaker to be in correct phase then decided to install new radio ( why cant i decide this before i fix the old stuff) and then the forward reverse cable decides that it has seen enough and breaks. 

3 weeks in to owning this boat and i have yet to take it out, then i find out that the shift cable that broke is  in fact the wrong set up, so now will have to do some machine work to bore out the hole so the correct cable can be installed.  Which i was in the middle of doing today but had to stop because of rain.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: CVX20 and a moron. The saga.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »
Seems like the normal share of problems on a 30+ year old boat.  There are far more horror stories out there.  Good thing is that you are able to make the repairs without relying on a marine shop to do the work.  Hopefully you can get it all ironed out and make some memories.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
30+ years of quick fixes, short cuts, etc. etc. take there toll ..

When I got my CV home after looking at it, test driving at lake and deciding to buy it, I noted a small vice grip hanging down from under dash.
Crawled under to have a look … There were two small vice grips holding the bolts that attach steering helm to dash … LOL
Just one of many large and small problems ...

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »
Ya got a new set of vice grips out of the deal, can't beat that, huh?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Chippy

• 1980 CVZ 18
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
Honestly I was apprehensive to work on my old boat as I had never undertook a rebuild before then it morphed into rush to get done as I found I could do things and sometimes better than original. Now I really enjoy taking my time doing things to the best of my ability. The wife likes the outlet for me a lot of worse things to be doing than restoring a classic boat. Good luck