Author Topic: Electric brakes on boat trailer... anyone done it?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline kert0307

Electric brakes on boat trailer... anyone done it?
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
The trailer under my cvx was originally set up for hydraulic surge brakes. Somewhere along the line someone took of the brake actuator. All my other trailers I pull are set up for electric brakes and from what I have found it is a little cheaper ($50) for me to convert it over to electric than to buy a new actuator and repair whats there. I have heard some say that electric brakes aren't a good idea for boat trailers because the axles are submerged when loading and unloading the trailer. So, does anyone have any actual experience with electronic brakes on a boat trailer? I would prefer to try it out since the electric brakes are a little better in my opinion.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Electric brakes on boat trailer... anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
My V172 has electric brakes on it. Not sure if they are original or not. They are no longer hooked up though. It seems that if you disconnected them before backing into the water they would be fine. Maybe they would be fine connected too! I don't know. i replaced the electric brakes on my old car trailer before. Buying the complete backing plate with pads and everything is the way to go. $50 sounds about right.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
Been looking at going w/electric brakes on my tandem axle that sits under my SeaRay cruiser. It's currently fitted w/surge brakes on just one axle which really isn't enough braking power IMHO for 4 tons of boat and trailer. Even hooked to the back of a 3/4 ton truck. Back when the Trailerboats board was still around I asked the same question and was told by someone already doing it they would be fine. Especially if your not backing into salt water. I don't think you'd even have to worry about unplugging them.

Anyways no direct experience but the advice that I got from people I trusted on that board had me convinced that they would work just fine on a boat trailer. I've towed w/both and for heavy loads electric brakes blow away surge brakes for stopping power and overall piece of mind. I'll probably bite the bullet and do the conversion next summer.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
Your trailer lights are submerged, too & use the same 12 volt power supply ....

As long as the unit is sealed (I imagine it would be, even if designed for trailers that aren't submerged, they still have to stand up to rain and puddles) you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you're worried about it, put a tandem switch at the bumper near your license plate so that you can just flip a switch on & off to cut power to the trailer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:06:39 PM by WetRaider »
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
I was looking for electric trailer brakes for my original boat trailer when I was going to paint it and add brakes to it.  (It didn't/doesn't have brakes)  These are water proof and made with stainless steel.  I've seen large boat trailers with electric brakes at the ramps many to times, and unless they turn the controllers down/off, they don't unhook the plug. As far as being the same as going through a puddle or getting rained on, centrifical force keeps the water out?  (That's what I've been to told anyway)
http://rhscales.com/catalog/brakes.pdf

Terry