Author Topic: Seafair Sedan Repair  (Read 7384 times)

Offline sagrimson

Seafair Sedan Repair
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
I am new to the group and bought a 1960 Seafair Sedan and doing some work to it.  Does anyone know how to remove the steering wheel?  I removed the screw on the base, loosened the set screw and took off the main nut.  I assume there is some type of lock washer or something holding it in place but didn't want to pry at things to hard and do some damage.  I have a photo for reference.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:13:51 AM by Hyperacme »
Steve

Offline CVX Fever

Re: Seafair Sedan Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »
If you can get yours knees behind the steering wheel and a hand on top apply some pressure to the wheel and then give the steering shaft a tap with a hammer. Screw the nut back loosely so you don't damage the threads with the hammer. It's a tapered fit. Yours looks a little rusty, maybe let some WD-40 or pentrating oil soak in between the steering wheel hub and steering shaft if doesn't pop off with a couple of light taps.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »

If you can get yours knees behind the steering wheel and a hand on top apply some pressure to the wheel and then give the steering shaft a tap with a hammer. Screw the nut back loosely so you don't damage the threads with the hammer. It's a tapered fit. Yours looks a little rusty, maybe let some WD-40 or pentrating oil soak in between the steering wheel hub and steering shaft if doesn't pop off with a couple of light taps.

That's exactly what I was going to say too. As far as penetrating oil goes PB Blaster is my personal favorite.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
Welcome to the CGOAMN forum sagrimson !

My seat was removed so couldn't use my knees, but grabbing and pulling behind steering wheel hub and a few "solid whacks" with a hammer got it off.
Are you going to repair or replace old steering wheel ?

A 1960 Seafair Sedan is a pretty rare Glastron ...
Can you post more pictures ?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
I have a Seafair Sunliner.
OK it's a Glasspar.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
I have a Seafair Sunliner.
OK it's a Glasspar.

I was gonna say, I'd never heard of the Seafair Sunliner.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline sagrimson

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the quick feedback from everyone!  Nice to be able to tap into some people who most likely have gone thru some of these things before.  Before I started hammering away I thought I would post something on the site an get some confirmation instead of creating more damage and looking back. 

Here are a couple pics I have with me at work, I will get some more pics up in the next few days.  I knew the owner of the boat since I was a kid and he had it under cover for 20+ years.  Surprisingly the boat is in decent condition considering, needs a lot of TLC but the floor stringers seem solid.  The transom might be a little weak but going to look into as I get into it down the road.  I would like to get it to a point where it looks and runs good but not a full restoration at this point.
Steve

Offline sagrimson

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
Welcome to the CGOAMN forum sagrimson !

My seat was removed so couldn't use my knees, but grabbing and pulling behind steering wheel hub and a few "solid whacks" with a hammer got it off.
Are you going to repair or replace old steering wheel ?

A 1960 Seafair Sedan is a pretty rare Glastron ...
Can you post more pictures ?

Still learning how to navigate the site, wanted to reply back about the steering wheel and think this is the best way.  I am not sure yet if I am going to repair or replace.  Just getting into the project.  I would like to keep things as original as possible and have no idea what might be out there as far as a replacement.
Steve

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Just so you know, we're not going to be able to help you a ton with things specific to your model of boat.

Its a Glasspar, not a Glastron...so different Manufacturer from the focus of this site.  Lots of knowledge here on Glastron's, but not a lot about Glasspar's, though sounds like Jerry does own one in addition to his Glastron.

Feel free to stick around!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline sagrimson

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
Just so you know, we're not going to be able to help you a ton with things specific to your model of boat.

Its a Glasspar, not a Glastron...so different Manufacturer from the focus of this site.  Lots of knowledge here on Glastron's, but not a lot about Glasspar's, though sounds like Jerry does own one in addition to his Glastron.

Feel free to stick around!

Ok, LOL....I was on so many different web sites over the weekend I never even connected the Glastron vs Glasspar with the acronym!!  That would explain why no searches came up when I searched "Seafair".  Thats pretty bad on my part.  Even makes this group all that much better helping out!!
Steve

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I figured!  ;) 

By all means, stick around...we like projects!  Just trying to help set the expectation that if you have a bunch of specific Glasspar questions...not all of us will know...

Welcome!   :)
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
I would try some heat on the steering shaft.  I went through the same thing with my CV-16.  I have a bearing puller, prop puller and a steering wheel puller and non would grab the wheel without damaging the wheel.  I heated and cooled the shaft several times with PB blaster in between each and it eventually popped off. 
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
I had to soak mine in PB Blaster for a couple days, then screwed the nut almost all the way out, and whacked the nut while pulling the wheel out...that's what broke mine loose finally.

But I think I soaked it for a week, respraying it every evening.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline sagrimson

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »
I started by spraying some WD-40 and will add some heat to see if that will work, if not I will move up to the PB blaster.  I will keep you posted on my status and thanks again! 

P.S. I finally made it to the correct site and found a really great post from a guy who did a pretty extensive refurbish which has already helped me a bunch.
Steve