Author Topic: Help with how to revome broken bolts  (Read 6550 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: Help with how to revome broken bolts
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I've blasted the bolts with PB, I've used Pipe wrenches on the but not  chance of moving them, it's a 1986 engine which has never been split so I guess I will need to drill them out and re-tap  :( :o

Thanks again for all your advice though, I'm sure it would have worked if the engine wasn't so old.

One good thing though is that I've decided to strip out everything and clean and renew where possible so 30 years of performance should be renewed shortly, I can't wait to rebuild her... :)

Thanks again fellow Glastroneer's

Best
UKMike.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »
 :-[

I took the Exhaust shaft section to the shop today and they took one look and said "forget it" those suckers are in there good. They wouldn't drill them out as they don't know the thickness of the material surrounding the threads. As I said before I have Blasted them again and again, soaked them totally but no movement.

Can anyone tell me if heating the studs with an electrical charge to near melting point will cause the aluminium to break down or even if it will help the stud removal over and above heating it with a torch?

Mike

Offline BlownCV23

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
Mike,
1) I would try heating those studs with a torch. And once hot I would strike down on the end of the stud with a hammer to loosen the corrosion on the threads. Then try the vice grips.
2) Since you now have a welder I would weld a nut to the stud. That would heat up the stud during welding.
3) I would drill the center of the stud for and easy-out/screw extractor. I would hammer in the easy-out and try to remove the stud.
hope this helps
good luck
Paul
Blown CV23 (Root Beer Float)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 03:19:37 AM »
Thanks Paul,

Managed to get them out by taking it to the machine shop, they drilled them out and ran a tap around the threads afterward, all good now, thanks for the advice.

Best
UKMike