Author Topic: Prop for a Glastron SSV-155  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Capt SkUnK

Prop for a Glastron SSV-155
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Well the time has come.  I'm in need of a new prop.  The last couple weeks on the lake we have delt with shallow water and now log/stick chocked waters.  Our prop isn't the best looking anymore.

Now not sure what to look for our Currant prop, 13-1/4 x 17.  Worked well for pulling our 1 man tube and even our 4 man tube. Wake boards, skies and knee boards.  It's not the quickest out of the hole but gets the kids up and myself just fine. And has a top speed of about 32 on the on board gages. Haven't used GPS to track speed but top speed isn't too much of a concern to us. Mainly spending lazy days at the lake.

For the above activities, can anyone suggest a quality prop manufacture to order a new one from that will fit out 82' Evinrude 90HP outboard.

Can anyone give some advice as to what the number on the prop mean?  And such.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Prop for a Glastron SSV-155
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
Well, not much to say, it's a 13 1/4" diameter 17 pitch prop.   If your happy with it's performance, get a replacement.  If you want better holeshot and lower top speed, decrease the diameter and/or the pitch.  If you want higher top speed, go up with pitch.  Looks possibly to be stainless,but in either case, enjoy it for the season, then have it reworked.  Cheaper than new.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:56:34 PM »
I've found a used one at a very reasonable price on a used buy and sell site.  It's listed as Propeller for small gear case Johnson Evinrude.  The numbers are "386786" and "12 1/4 x 15"

So this Propeller would give me a better holeshot?  To get the boat moving a bit quicker?  Does the small gear case mean anything...  are they all universal?

Edit;  the used properly came off a layer 70s early 80s Johnson 60Hp outboard.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:52:52 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:59:09 AM »
     I would think that prop would be too small for your boat and cause the WOT(wide open throttle) RPM to be too high.  Holeshot may not improve due to the smaller wheel, think traction.    Now if it were a 13 1/4" 15 or a smaller diameter but same pitch.   Any idea what your WOT rpm's are in relation to what your engine says its range should be?
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
Sound like the 17P is a good all around choose for your needs.

Is your prop Alum. or Stainless steel ?
Can you post a full picture of your old prop ?
Can you just get old one repaired ?

Believe "Small gear case" would be 3 cyl. and V4 cyl. motors, "Large gear case" would be V6, 150 HP plus motors.

I don't think the 15P will work.

BRP prop guide ...
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories%5C766315%20EN.pdf

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
     I would think that prop would be too small for your boat and cause the WOT(wide open throttle) RPM to be too high.  Holeshot may not improve due to the smaller wheel, think traction.    Now if it were a 13 1/4" 15 or a smaller diameter but same pitch.   Any idea what your WOT rpm's are in relation to what your engine says its range should be?
Here's a picture of what happened to my propeller last Canada Day long weekend   ended up hitting a stick and it took a chunk out of one of the blades.  I'm sure it's not fixable anymore.   So I'm doomed to look for a new propeller.

They aren't cheap and especially where I am finding a used cheap propeller in a landlocked province has proved to be hard at best.  Looks like I'll have to order a new one from online order. 

Currently I don't have an RPM gage working on the boat.  When I was fixing my throttle problems my RPM gage stopped working and I've yet to figure out why it's not working.

WOT I'm hitting 32KM/hour which is more than fast enough for us.  Especially on the lake we usually boat at.     

Can anyone suggest a quality place to order a propeller online at a reasonable price.   I've been quoted about from 399 and up (canadian) from the local evinride dealer here where I live.  Seeing as these things aren't Cheap I figure I'm best to stick with what's been working and get an exact same replacement propeller for my application.

Been a good little boat and the family has had so much fun on her this summer.  Had her our yesterday with 32°C weather and the chipped prop and it ran pretty good.   No noticeable negative effects from the chipped propeller just booting around the lake.  I'll be unable to get a replacement propeller until end of next week so we plan to take the boat out this weekend. 

Am I doing any damage running the engine with the chipped propeller while waiting for a new replacement propeller?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Your prop is aluminum and is repairable.  Good rule of thumb is roughly 10% damage or less is repairable.  I doubt you will cause harm to your boat using that prop as is, but it may create vibration and performance will suffer.  Last prop I had done was $90.00, I bought a new one, and kept the repaired one as a spare.   32 kmh, about 20 mph seems way low for your boat, my guess it should run easily to around 35 mph.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »

Your prop is aluminum and is repairable.  Good rule of thumb is roughly 10% damage or less is repairable.  I doubt you will cause harm to your boat using that prop as is, but it may create vibration and performance will suffer.  Last prop I had done was $90.00, I bought a new one, and kept the repaired one as a spare.   32 kmh, about 20 mph seems way low for your boat, my guess it should run easily to around 35 mph.

Possibly my speedo is in MPH then?   Boat seems to be going plenty fast.   

WOT is a little scarry especially with other boaters on the lake and the wake they create or when the wind picks up and white caps form.

I don't open her up when the family is on board as we boat with a small infant on board so it's usually driving miss daisy until we find a nice location to post up a beach location. 

While searching for propellers i did see a local welding company that repairs Skegs and props will give them a call this morning and see what they can offer. 

Thanks for the help and advice.

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
PropMD
http://www.propmd.com/new-propellers-1/evinrude-johnson/90-hp-v-4-13-spline-81-newer/michigan-wheel-vortex-3-blade-aluminum-propeller-with-hub-kit.html?options=cart
Going to have to look into that company and see how shipping factors into that equation as that's the best deal I've come across.

Thanks for the link.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
Aluminum prop's are pretty light compared to Stainless steel prop's.

PropMD repair.
http://www.propmd.com/propeller-repair-service
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:02:02 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
now...not everyone loves composite props, but I've good luck with Piranha Props.  Break a blade, slap a new one in for $20, good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Sierra 1700