Author Topic: Advice on a water Leak on an 82 Evinride.  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Capt SkUnK

Advice on a water Leak on an 82 Evinride.
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
Well we have been really enjoying the boat this summer and for the most part it's been running really well.  Last time out I noticed some water pooling in the engine cowling below the power head.

So took a look at her once we got it home from the lake.  Noticed a rather large water Leak when I fired it up on muffs.
https://youtu.be/rJJsU987D8A

It's on the port side on the engine under the bottom piston on that bank.   It's in such a spot where i can't see where it is actually leaking from.  I can get a mirror in there but I'm unable to determine where the Leak is coming from.  As its not noticeable when it's not running and when it's running it makes the mirror useless.

So.......
I figured I'd do a compression test to determine if I had a blown head gasket   well the compression was dead on at 108PSI in all cylinders both banks.  I ran the compression test 4 separate times each with the exact same results.  And 2 of the times each i did hot/cold checks.

Doing some reading anything above 100 and with in 5% of each cylinder is considered decent.  Spark plugs looks to be in decent shape as well.   So What gives with my compression test.... shouldn't it have had low compression if its leaking water?   Could I possibly have a cracked block.

I don't have access to a leak down tester but could possibly order one from  an online site, but that wouldn't show up till next week at best. And I can have all gaskets and parts tomorrow afternoon of I make the 2 hour drive and have the heads pulled this evening and reinstalled b4 the weekend....

The engine is running fine.  Fires right up has tons of power idles nicely, has a steady forceful pee stream coming out of the telltale.   Doesn't physically appear to be overheating, I'm able to keep my hands on and around the cylinder heads..
https://youtu.be/PNbWOKAxMb0
The leak is under the port lower cylinder head close to the head gasket or on the block, but I'm unsure of where it is exactly as I'm can't get visual access to the leak.  It appears to be 2 separate streams of water.

With my limited experience with outboards.... I don't really wanna pull the power head to inspect where the leak is coming from unless I have no other choice.   

I took off a few pieces of the lower leg cowling but that didn't give me any better view of the situation. 

Is it possible to remove the cowling that has the hood latches surrounding the power head.  So far looking through my manuals I have I'm unable to find any mention of removing this.

I did have a overheat alarm sound on the starboard cylinder bank a few weeks ago and determined it was a faulty sensor.   The port side which is leaking hasn't had any alarms sound.

My plan this week is to pick up a set of head and cover gaskets, thermostat & Gasket, Water Pump kit & replacement temp sensor for the starboard bank which was faulty.....  And clean and inspect everything I can see once I have it apart.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:56:33 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Advice on a water Leak on an 82 Evinride.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
If compression is good. could just be a leaking head gasket around water jacket.
Seal is still good around combustion chamber/cyl. so your leak is just external.

Replacing an Outboard Head Gasket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaN3PuZLLQA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:32:01 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »

If compression is good. could just be a leaking head gasket around water jacket.
Seal is still good around combustion chamber/cyl. so your leak is just external.

Thanks for the reply Hyperacme!    Helping to put my mind at ease a little.

Checked the compression once again today as I'm worried.  And she's still dead on at 108psi like it was all the other times I ran the test.

I'm really hoping it's is a leaking head gasket.  Checked the bolts and all were snug and tight.  So no lose bolts.

Looking into the cylinder through the plug holes doesn't appear to be any water or contamination and all looks normal.  Guess I'll have to wait an see when I pull the covers and head off.

What's my best course of action.  Would I be best to pull the head on port bank and to do the gaskets and test it out?  Or would I be best to pull the power head and inspect the under side to determine if there is a Crack in the block?  There hasn't been any freeze issues since I've had it.  And this wasn't leaking when boat was purchased.

Would I be noticing any other symptoms if I had a cracked block?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
     I own four of these creatures, but never had one apart.  It looks like just the cover gasket leaking, not the actual head gasket.   I guess I thought they were two separate "layers"  The sparkplug is actually in the head, and then a kinda figure 8 gasket, then the cooling jacket "Lid" goes on.   I've never had a leak there so I've never had a need to take it apart.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »
Unless Rich knows otherwise ...
I would run it this summer, and replace gasket in late fall / winter.
How much is "Some water" ?

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
Unless Rich knows otherwise ...
I would run it this summer, and replace gasket in late fall / winter.
How much is "Some water" ?
Enough water and flow where I'm worried. I did post the video of the stream of water exiting the breach. Should have been the first video in my original post.

Im worried Future damage could possibly occur if I run it the way it is. And would like to avoid running an engine where the fix could possibly cost a gasket and some elbow grease.  I've decided to change a few extra parts as well just for piece of mind related to the cooling system.  Then I'll know when said parts were last serviced and know my cooling system is up to snuff.

Some of our local boaters I know said to add some jb weld and run it as well the way it is... but these motors aren't cheap especially where I live. And i like to take pride in my equipment  I own.  I wouldn't off road my jeep with a leaking radiator.. 

So would rather fix things properly and have peace of mind on the lake and enjoy the outting than worried about a potential disastrous situation happening.

Changing the head gasket seems relatively simple, and the thermostat as well .. I do have a full garage and tools even a hoist.  And have done lots of engine work on jeep engines, so figure I should be able to knock these repairs off rather easily.  Been going over the books I have and the video you posted.

I'm a little worried about the water pump but I did meet a journeyman marine mechanic who helped with my throttle problems and he said he would lend a hand with the water pump.   So I've left him a message this evening and will arrange to do the pump with him in my shop and pay him for his services. .  It worked out good last time fixing the throttle because I learnt a lot and was able to be present and lend a hand so it's worth the money for the experience and help gained.  It's always nice to have someone who knows what there doing for certain jobs.   Especially the 1st go around.  And his prices were very reasonable. 

I do have one question pertaining to the thermostat.  Are these plastic clips reusable? 

I tend to have bad luck with clips and fasteners of plastic nature..  so if all else fails I should be able to use some Auto hose clamps... I have small sizes in my parts bins

Thanks for all the help everyone.   I'll make sure to take some pictures of the work and and post some updates Friday evening Saturday morning of the repairs.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:01:03 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
WOW ... That's squirting out pretty good ...
Ya .. Talk to your mechanic about it, like you said having some one that knows what there doing is priceless.
Once ya get head off you'll know for sure if it's a gasket.
I'd replace plastic clips.

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
WOW ... That's squirting out pretty good ...
Ya .. Talk to your mechanic about it, like you said having some one that knows what there doing is priceless.
Once ya get head off you'll know for sure if it's a gasket.
I'd replace plastic clips.
Yes it was leaking rather good.  Had a neighbor that's a boater come over with some JB Water Weld he tried to patch it and when it was only a dribble he said to call it good... well that didn't sit right with me wasn't the repair I was hoping for even though the hemoraging of water was slowed to a drop.   So last night I proceeded to pull the head when I wasn't satisfied with the patch job the neighbor did and I'm glad I pulled it. 

I'm glad I decided to pull the head and a little upset I let him try and patch it with JB Water Weld.  For now I have to do some block cleaning of the patch he applied.  I should have know better because this guy cruises the lake with lawn chairs in his boat for seats......

Well anyways.  Once I pulled the head off my worst nightmare was put to rest about the cracked block.... 

Looks like it's a head gasket.....which should be a simple fix once i pick the parts up this afternoon shouldn't take me more than a couple hours to get back together.   Can others help  confirm I've found my culprit for the leak.....  I'm 99.9% positive I've located the leak.

On another note.  Being mostly a automotive backyardagin mechanic. I know very little about marine applications.  When reinstalling this head.   Will Anti-Seize compound be sufficient to use on the head bolts?

Do I need to purchase any other marine sealers for the head/thermostat or the lower leg when I do the impeller. 

What's the best cleaning products to clean the insides of the heads?  Will brake clean be acceptable?

My shop manual talked about 1000 sealer for the lower leg.....  I figured I'll ask at the Evinrude dealer this afternoon if they carry this product or something similar .  And possibly look for some gear case lubricant.  What does everyone use for gear case lube on their Evinrudes lower unit?

Again thanks to all the members of the forums who have helped give advice and feedback. This forum has really been a life saver for myself.

Any ideas what caused this head gasket to rupture? 

The cooling passages look super clean and in obstructed. Haven't cracked the thermostat yet but will change that once I'm home with the parts for peice of mind. And the water pump that should solve any overheating issues if I had any I'm assuming.

Edit currently unable to post pictures
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:32:08 AM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
Yep ... Head gasket ..
I would go by what manual say's to do as far as installing new head gasket.

"Will Anti-Seize compound be sufficient to use on the head bolts?"
Same thing .. go by manual.

"What's the best cleaning products to clean the insides of the heads?"
They don't look to bad.

"What does everyone use for gear case lube on their Evinrudes lower unit?"
Dave posted an article about gear lube, best was the BRP/Evinrude stuff, but as long as you check yearly and change ever 2 years any lube should do.

"Any ideas what caused this head gasket to rupture? "
Don't know for sure, but would guess age. Your motors over 30 years old ...

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
Since there is a small hole to allow some water bypass in the gasket, that appears where the tear in the gasket may have started.  Like Greg's comment, it's 30 years old, stuff happens.  Hope you get it back together and out on the water soon.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help and advice everyone

For anyone else doing this job on an older outboard,  I now can offer some advice when changing the head gasket and ordering parts....   Thought I had all the parts to do a clean and complete job on this unit .  While doing the inspecting of the block and cylinders I missed one crucial part of the system.

This was a simple part called a Water Deflector that resides in the water jacket at certain spots on each bank.

Well i drive for 2 1/2 hours for the parts, get home late this evening because I took the family with and had some dinner on the way home.... once home I blast into the shop and start prepping the head and block.  While cleaning the block I noticed some damage to the lower water Deflector, at the time I didn't know what this part was and the purpose of it.  But after some research learnt it's a pretty important part of the cooling system.   This part is rubber so over the years can show its age and well not function anymore.

So that could be the culprit/possible contribution to my blown gasket

So hopefully I'm able to locate a replacement set either locally or at the place of ventured to today.    So I can get this boat wet again.

Hopefully my over site will make someone's Job in the future a little smoother.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:56:19 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
Need some help and guidance to understand what's happening with my engines water flow.  The above picture is what I got when searching for my engine on line and the water flow direction and placement of the water Deflectors makes sense.
Original photo:

Now looking at my block it's totally different and doesn't make any sense pertaining to water flow. 
Here is how my block looks the red markings are of my water passages and where they are located.

Anyone offer any clarification.   Looks like the far port side of the head has no ports ??    Hopefully. You question makes sense to everyone.  But I'm at a total loss how the placement of Deflectors and the water passage ways works on my block
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:58:46 PM by Capt SkUnK »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 07:02:15 PM »
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?257456-Question-for-the-Evinrude-V4-experts-here-Newbie-Questions
Thanks a lot for the link.  Got it all figured out.   Had a great day out boating well worth the work I did

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Good to hear everything is back together and running !

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Like a champ!  Spent 12 hours on the lake yesterday! Couldn't have asked for a better day.  Well other than this fine Sunday..  So will make the 20 min drive out to the lake sometime today for some more fun!   Been logging some serous hours on our boat this season and have loved every minute of it.   This is our 1st boat and we couldn't have been more happier with the purchase and the new life style!

Yesterday we found out our expensive 4 man h2O tube somehow ended up with a massive hole in the main bladder and it's only been used one time.....  so hopefully we will be able to fix it this week. 

Really have to thank everyone that continually offered advice and support.   You guys have helped this newbie keep his boat wet all summer and the family all smiles!

Great group of people here at this forum!  And the advice and guidance has been very beneficial for myself.

Wish there was some more Glastron love closer to home where I live. Not the biggest boating community we live in.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
I have honestly found that the more $$$ I have spent on any particular tube, the less it lasts.  I've have a $400 tube work for 4 hours...so I stick to the flat disk tubes now and have 3 years out of my current ones.

Good luck!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
I have honestly found that the more $$$ I have spent on any particular tube, the less it lasts.  I've have a $400 tube work for 4 hours...so I stick to the flat disk tubes now and have 3 years out of my current ones.

Good luck!
That's a shame.  Looking at ours doesn't appear to be able to pull it out of its cover  to patch the thing.  What a shame.

We have another single rider World Industries we paid  $25 for off a local buy and sell site and it's seen action every time we have taken the boat out.

Really really disappointed with the 4 Persian Atomic H20.  Was nice to haul the kids on behind the boat, well that one outing anyways.  Might try and split the seam on the case and re-stitch it up if I can patch it....  for what we paid it should have a life time warranty. 

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
Ours wasa SportsStuff Chariot Warbird 2...great tube for the 4 hours it lasted.  Stable & safe for the kids...and then it suffered an internal tear and was completely unusable.

I've quit buying the high money tubes...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
How did you get off topic?  Check your compression gauge for accuracy.  My neighbor  had one he gave me that read low and he changed an engine because of it.  Another neighbor had a cowel leak after the local shop changed the power head.  He sold it without fixing it.