Author Topic: Can anyone advise how to get out of a spot of trouble with my prop :(  (Read 6959 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Went to remove the bearing carrier today and it wouldn't budge, had plenty of PB and even heated the outer case but totally stuck in there. If anyone could give me an idea on how to get the rest of the casing and gears out I will be really grateful.

Offline Scott in nh

While there is a factory tool for this, I don't think it will work on our old motors.

They just gall together until you cannot get apart without damage.

So I had to drill mine enough to take it out in pieces.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Thanks, I have the tool and that was the result, the ring just crumbled but I must say it was under a lot of pressure. Do you know if the seal end is likely to be stuck as well? Does any ally contact ally up at the seal end or is it just a rubber seal?

So you just drilled and drilled until it crumbled?

Best
Mike

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
It is already destroyed, use a drill, vibration tool, sawzall, or equivalent to remove it in pieces.  It is the internal threads that must survive or the housing is done.  I believe there exists a new weld in ring with different carrier available, I've personally never seen one, but was told they exist.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Thanks again for the advice, looks like it's going on the bench then and I'll give it a try, most of the thread is still there but to be honest some has rotted away on the bottom of the case, ?I was hoping .i could try a new retainer in it and if Adele to screw it all the way in with some pacience I would use some thread lock on it when fixing back in after changing the carrier,

If the threads are gone do you think it would be possible to have a brass threaded ring cut into the case wall with say 4 locating pins? I was thinking once in there with pins going into the case walls it ain't coming out unless the new retainer nut is unscrewed, the only thing is would it even be possible to  do that without weakening the integrity of the case. Anyone with some real engineering skills would be able to say I guess?

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Would be such a waste to scrap the gear case after all I've done on the rest so far, bearing in mind all the bolts have needed to be drilled out in the shop already and a new exhaust plate too.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Well been working on this for two days now, worked on it all night and burnt a full bottle of propane but eventually got it out with a tool I made to take over from the official puller, which just pulled the ring of the carrier off.

I have never seen something so difficult to get out...

Thanks for the advice, without the drilling it woul still be there and a new foot would have been needed. 8)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
I'm guessing your motor was / is used in salt water ?
Good to hear ya got it without destroying LU case.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Hi Gregg,

Yes it's a SW used engine and has been since new, so 31 years of salt and never had a lower bearing or gear case changed, hence the difficulty in getting the Gear Carrier out. Still got a massive issue though, the bearing and front drive gear stayed in the housing because of the thrust washer, which is also corroded in there and I can't find a single bearing puller online that has the length and width to get to the bearing, it need a 300mm length but with the ability to grab a 90mm bearing, all the long ones I can find go no more than 50mm at that length.

Not sure how to deal with this so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. You can see the washer under the bearing and it's between the bearing and front drive gear so I can't get anything else out until I can find a way of doing so, do you think more heat on the outer case LU will do it?

Mike   

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
I just can't get this bearing out, I'd really appreciate any thoughts or ideas? :(

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: Can anyone advise how to get out of a spot of trouble with my prop :(
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »
Or should I put it in the boat, drag it out to sea and sink it? :-/

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
Hi Gregg,

Could you let me know of a decent Mercury forum where I can get advice on this?

Thanks again.
UKMike.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
I've tried Iboats.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
Try here ...

Mercury outboards fan page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/447086352040256/

Merc Outpost
http://www.fiberglassics.com/forum/mercury-outpost.html

Did a search for "Removing stuck bearing carrier" & "remove bearing carrier mercury"
Came up with quite a few links ...

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
Hi Gregg,

Thanks for that and yes tried searching, that's why I am where I am now, managed to remove the carrier but all the links I have viewed assume that removing the carrier also pulls out the bearing, thrust plate and reverse gear, which it doesn't seem to have done. It's a catch 22 situation, until I can remove the bearing and reverse gear I can't get to the nut on the bottom of the driveshaft so that can't be extracted, which then means the prop shaft also cannot be removed.    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks again for all your valued help though, you really are a great guy!

Best
UKMike

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:43 PM »
Try shifting the lower into a different direction.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi Still_Fishing,

Sorry but I don't understand? Could you explain? :)

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
If it is assembled similar to a  mercruiser lower unit the forward gear is not directly attached to the prop shaft. The shaft goes through a bearing.  In a mercruiser lower you simply shift the lower in order to disengage the shift loop allowing the prop shaft to pull out with the reverse gear and associated bearing

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
Sorry if you explained this earlier but what is this lower off of

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
OK,  I just had a brain *Censored*. You can't do anything till that reverse gear is out of there.  Get a buddy with a welder and tack 2 lengths of all thread to the reverse gear.  Make a plate with two corresponding holes in it to Siam the diameter of the case.  Nut and washer it out.  Don't forget some penitrating oil. Once you get it out cut the all thread off and clean up the surface.  You might want to protect that bearing during the welding from slag

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23