Author Topic: Can anyone advise how to get out of a spot of trouble with my prop :(  (Read 7075 times)

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
Re: Can anyone advise how to get out of a spot of trouble with my prop :(
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 04:52:30 PM »
Talpatalk censors "f a r t". Wow

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 04:52:51 PM »
Oh I see what you mean now, sorry its a Merc V6 135 1986 black max. Looking at the drawing it seems to show the prop connected right the way through but I could be wrong, either way though the drive shaft is still in and I cant get it out because of the bearing and reverse gear didn't. come out with the carrier.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0A961186/%20%201135726/299_200

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
OK, I have a new bearing and an arc welder but I want to make sure that if I tac 2 rods to the bearing that it will come out im going to have a real mess, currently it is useable and if I trash the bearing and cant get the bearing and reverse gear out im stuffed like a turkey on thanksgiving!

I don't know if I must remove the gear shifter prior to trying this, I cant see that I need to yet but want to make sure.

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »
If the shift shaft is threaded in try running the shift shaft all the way in counting the turns in.  Write the number of turns down down. Then back the shift shaft all the way out.  Maybe that shift shaft  is holding everything together.  I'm grasping at straws here

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
Thanks, I've just had a response on another forum and they say the same as you, they say take the shifter out then it should come out, but I still cant see how it can as the pinion gear in between the forward and reverse gears and it wont move up so I don't see how removing the shifter can make that difference, im  ???

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
I get what you are saying about pinion but it may get you some slack in that prop shaft to help.  If you are replacing the reverse gear bearing I'd just tack that all thread to the outer race and start pulling. If you tack it to the inner race it may expand that race enough that it may come right of the gear before the gear is free.

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »
Thanks again, I wasn't intending on changing the gear as they are not sold separately and are NLA. That's why I need to know for sure on how it should all come out.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »
Going down to see my Merc dealer in the morning, he's going to have a look... Phew!

Thanks again for all you guys help, very much appreciated!

I just bought new decals ready for when she's back up and running.

Just purchased some new stainless steel rails and new brackets, they are not exactly the same but close and I will get the pipe bent next week, then no more corrosion on the rails... ;) 

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »
I must really love my Glastron, I've spent over 2K on her over the last month and to be taking the mid section of the engine into my bedroom overnight while I work on her means it's true love  :-*

LOL