Author Topic: 1979 CVX16SS worth redoing the floor and stringers?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
1979 CVX16SS worth redoing the floor and stringers?
« on: February 23, 2022, 04:36:47 PM »
Many of you have followed my boat and saw that I've replaced or rebuilt just about everything mechanical (motor, drive, hydraulics, steering, re-cleared the flake, found a windshield). Its a great boat, but it needs a floor, and I bet it needs stringers. Its usable, but you can feel the soft spots in the back. Always been a west coast freshwater boat. I don't know if it has ever been full of water from rain, but everything tells me no. I keep it covered and a tarp over that since I got it. Transom is solid from what I can see and tell but lets factor that in as well.

Is my boat worth redoing the floor/stringer/transom on? What about the foam rear corners? can those be made into storage instead of foam filled?

I've read post threads and watched videos. I've owned corvettes and did glass work on them myself.

I love the boat, want to keep it, but also don't know if I want to undertake this myself. Do I go up to the bulkhead by your feet? Do I pull the cap and do it all? Do I find a place to di it if I pull the boat apart and take them an empty hull?

So many ideas, so little time, but again, I love the boat, its a great size and it a ton of fun where we take it (lower colorado river).

The boat is together right now and needs the trim rams resealed for this season... and ill keep using it till I decide what to do, onyl concern is what damage am I doing to the boat be using it with a bad floor and possibly bad stringers (and from motor mount support)?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 04:38:23 PM by demian5 »
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1979 CVX16SS worth redoing the floor and stringers?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 04:58:49 PM »
Pretty sure you can do transom and floor without removing deck.
Remove floor wood and drill some holes in stringer/motor mounts, to see if wood is wet or dust.
My (1976 CV16) floor and transom were bad, but stringer was fine.
Some G/C's stringers were wrapped better then others ..
Hope for the best .. but plan for the worst ..   :-/   :(

I removed my stern boxes .. There for level floatation if swamped.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:00:51 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 05:43:54 PM »
It?s definitely worth the effort, especially if you?ll like the boat. I have followed some of the work you?ve done here, obviously you have what it takes to tackle a project like this. You can do the floor and the stringers, could even do the transom without splitting it. I did all the work on our CV 16 V-8 without splitting it because the top and bottom are glassed together all the way around. It would be best to replace the stringer in one piece, but if it?s pretty solid I?m sure you could get by with offsetting it a little and sister it as far up as you can push it under the floor, if you decide to only go to the bulkhead. If you pour form in the floor you can gain quite a bit there and leave those boxes out for storage, that?s what I did on the CV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline demian5

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »
I have followed some of the work you?ve done here, obviously you have what it takes to tackle a project like this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I love the boat and would like to preserve it for many others to enjoy after me as well. Would love to hand down to my son eventually.

Offline demian5

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »
Is there a thread for someone replacing the floor and stringers in a cvx16ss I/O? I see outboard posts and images. Also I'm thinking this only has a single stringer down the middle?

Offline awc105

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 07:29:39 PM »
Hey demian5,

Here's link to some photos of me gutting and rebuilding the deck and transom of my CV-16SS, I elected to not remove the cap as well and it wasn't much of a problem. Although doing the glassing up under the bow was a bit cramped but doable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPjG8hFVWJQfEm9WA

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 07:43:51 PM »
I think most just take note of what they remove and copy it for rebuild.
Quick search on CGOA .. yes one center stringer
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 07:54:30 PM by Hyperacme »