Author Topic: Let's get to know each other...  (Read 298732 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Let's get to know each other...
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
Welcome!!!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »
Welcome Karen.  Good to see another girl Glastron owner.  Got any pics of your boat to post?
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to upload a photo from my iphoto files.  I also need to figure how to reduce the images as I took them with my SLR and they are too big.  Help?]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:10:16 PM by rocky boat »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
Welcome Karen !
Yep ! we love pictures ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Looks like ya got it !
I use Photobucket. it resizes for me and I post the [IMG] link.

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
will try and figure that out.  I just forwarded a picture from my blackberry to my iphoto and uploaded. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:01 PM »
Seems to work ...
Keep em coming !

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
Hi I'm Karen from Alaska.  I just bought a 79 Glastron GT 150.  Hope to polish up the hull this winter and will be looking for advice on how to do so.  It's my first power boat, but it was just too cool a boat to pass up.  Has a 90 hp Mercury motor.  Not sure the year, but old.  Everything works, but some sun fading and will redo the seats this winter. Very excited to own this boat - went waterskiing with it last weekend to try it out.

WELCOME!  I would think that you are our first ever Alaskan member!  LOVE it!  Congrats on the cool GT150!  Keep those pictures coming.  Even though many of us live in Minnesota, the thought of watersking in Alaska gives me shivers.  Funny...
Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline bellj

« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »
Congratulations on the boat Karen!!

My wife and I are fairly new to this group as well, but I've owned a 1977 GT-150 since the very early 80's and put more piloting hours in it than I should probably admit to! It's been stored now for about 15+ years waiting on a few repairs - but in it's own way it was one of the most fun boats I've ever owned - in fact I'm still getting used to our more recent purchase partially because it's mannerisms are so much different than that GT "spunkyness" I was so familiar with - not that the CVX isn't spunky in it's own way, it certainly is, just in a different manner, if that makes any sense.

You are in for a lot of fun times ahead with that model GT!!!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
Welcome to the group Karen! These guys and gals know more about our boats than anyone I've ever met. They can diagnose pretty much anything just based on a description!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »
I'm originally from Minnesota and my mother still lives there.  Off to head to the lake this weekend.  A beautiful 70 degree weekend predicted for the Valley north of Anchorage.  Will hopefully be able to attach pics of my Rocky Lake speedster in action.  I should be passing through Minneapolis at least once this Sept.  is there a good marine store where I can get advice and materials for polishing up the faded fiberglass?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Welcome!

We would love to see more pictures of your boat in the water out there too. I think a GT150 on the water with mountains in the back ground would make a pretty good picture!!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline bellj

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:38 AM »
Hi Karen,

I should go look since I just purchased some yesterday, but I've always had good luck with a boat fiberglass color brightener and then boat polish that you can get at the Fleet Farm stores. I think Star brite is the brand name and they have quite a few different boat cleaning products. I'll try to check and update this a little later. (Just checked and what I purchased yesterday to get ready for next week's event was Star Brite Sea Safe boat wash, Star brite fiberglass color restorer with PTEF, and Star brite presoftened boat wax)

I don't remember if there are "Fleet Farm" or "Farm & Fleet" stores in the Minneapolis area, but those two chains carry much of the same merchandise. There's probably other similar stores that carry those types of products also.

If any others have had problems with these products or know of some better, please jump in, but so far I've had pretty good luck with what I get from Fleet. I used to use rubbing compound for the difficult stuff, but you have to be real careful not to overdue it on the Gelcoat.

I probably should have done this before even commenting, but one super nice thing about this forum and the ClassicGlastron forums that I love is that if you do a search on something like this, the topic has likely come up before with all kinds of helpful advice! And as you've seen, there are many generous (and far more knowledgeable) people who will try to help in any way they can!   :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:14:24 AM by bellj »
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
thanks so much will take a look at our local West Marine store and wait to hear from others. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Karen
You should schedule your MN. vacation in Aug. ...

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3251.0

We did three boats this summer and have had great results with this method ...

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4569&start=40

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
I'm originally from Minnesota and my mother still lives there.  Off to head to the lake this weekend.  A beautiful 70 degree weekend predicted for the Valley north of Anchorage.  Will hopefully be able to attach pics of my Rocky Lake speedster in action.  I should be passing through Minneapolis at least once this Sept.  is there a good marine store where I can get advice and materials for polishing up the faded fiberglass?
      If you are in the Minneapolis area we would be happy help.......Hannays Marine in St. Anthony, we offer a 15% discount to GCOAMN members.....I think there is a thread in Vendors section?....If you are in the area please stop in....our catalog is also on line and we ship to all states.

Retro Performance

Link to Hanneys web site ...
http://www.hannaysmarine.com/

Link to discount coupon ....
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2886.0
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:01:12 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
Once again, those of us who are computer challenged (me) needing some help. LOL    

Thanks again  Hyper

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Friendly helpful people, great parts dept. and 15 % off ....
What more could you want !

Offline rocky boat

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
Thanks for the posts and advice.  I will definitely be in Minneapolis sometime in September and since my Mom lives downtown will check out your store and get instructions.  I will try and post action photos from this weekend in Alaska.  Will use all of your advice to fix up my boat this winter.  Right now I am just enjoying trying it out. Only a few weekends left for us before it's too cold to boat.  (besides things freeze by October). 

Offline rocky boat

Re: Taking in some water
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »
I have my "79 Gt 150         tied to the dock.  It appears to be leaking through the stern area soemwhere.  Pumped it out and the water came back to the same level -just the transom area right away.  It looks like someone tried to calk the rubber ring around the boat and did a lousy job.  Was thinking that it may be leaking thru or around that strip on the stern as it seems to sit just under the water when the boat is tied up.  (I did check the drain plug and it seems tight - also water does not run out while the boat is running.  Is this possible? I figure I will figure this out when I take the boat out of the water for the winter in a few weeks.  Thanks.