Author Topic: Anyone have stuff for carving styrofoam? (For making a mold)  (Read 2634 times)

Shorty_GT-150

Anyone have stuff for carving styrofoam? (For making a mold)
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »
Well, it won't tow a full scale boat, but maybe a matching 1:4 Scale Intimidator??
This car is huge!! (1:4 scale).... and a 23cc Zenoah engine.... thing is crazy fast....

I need to find or make a 1:4 scale truck body to match my 81 Chev Shortbox.... then I want to make a 1:4 Scale INTIMIDATOR!!!!!

Anyone good at carving styrofoam? or have the stuff to do it?
Should be able to use carved foam as a mold for layin the fiberglass over.....???
Could make a truck body for the kit, And could make a scale Intimidator....

Something to hold me over till the next boat :)

Offline Rosscoe

Re: Anyone have stuff for carving styrofoam? (For making a mold)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
Shorty
I think I've seen electric carving knives used for this sort of thing. Doesnt work too good on contours though.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
Shorty,

Check out MolzerMoweryRacing.com

They are in St Louis Park.  I think you'll be suprised!
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
Jason just some thoughts:
Just spent two days carving foam for theatrical stage props.  Full-size castle with gargoyles.   Mad they will cover all my work with drywall mud mixed with different color  latex paint.  The end result will be a real looking castile made of stone.

Have run foam threw hot blade to make the shape of the long- easy kit airplane that was covered with fiberglass over the foam wing.

Hot Knife is the way to go.  The problem chrome wire or ribbon you can find.   A large amperage variable transformer is vary expensive.   Low voltage so you do not die.  An old 12 volt battery charger if it has full variable amperage works, the problem battery chargers now days will have 2 or 3 settings.  You need variable  depending on the size of wire (the ohms it draws on a meter), increase the amps until it glows red and will cut foam like a pro.

You need reality.  I can show you a small hot knife I made from a soldering iron.   Pink foam can be carved with a dermal or real router if variable speed allows for slow.  If fast the heat cuts you need slow.
The castle I just made was pink foam run threw my table saw, high speed regular blade hot cut, regular jigsaw cut slow curves for arches like the castle entrance gate just fine.  I was cutting pink foam foal size like building from wood.
Small scale fancy or interact caving I?m no artist.  I can show you my hot knife.  But if you have that remote car, model people have to have some small scale tools or advice on what works.