Author Topic: Venting ... getting something personal off my chest  (Read 3419 times)

Offline WetRaider

Venting ... getting something personal off my chest
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
Nothing boat related here ... other than the fact that I spent almost no time at Kurtis' shop when I was going to drill out the brackets for my bunks.  (Thanks, Kurtis, for having that angle cut) ...

So, here goes.
We send the kid off to school yesterday.  He leaves the house at 7:20 to catch the bus.  By 7:30, Courtney notices her engagement ring is missing.  Immediately she told me about seeing our son, yesterday, looking at her oddly and she felt un-nerved then but didn't know what to do about it.  She thinks he took the ring then, and maybe took it to school to show it off.  We searched the house.  I went through every pocket on every dirty article of clothing, crawled on the floor with a flashlight, even started tearing out ductwork ... wedding band, watch, earrings were all together in the same place all the jewelry goes when she takes it off - we settled on waiting until he came home from school.

4:00, I sit him down at the counter in the kitchen and tell him that I wouldn't ask any questions, and there would be no consequences if he could put the ring back.  He said he didn't have it, and didn't take it.  I'm about 10 minutes from Kurtis' house and Courtney is on the phone sobbing - she searched his backpack and found the ring ... with the prongs wrestled back and the diamond missing.  I get home and we talk to him ... letting him know he's in trouble for the lying, but the only thing we needed to know immediately is where should we be looking for the diamond.  Police are on the way - at best we'll need a report to file an insurance claim.

While we wait for the police, we're looking by the new deck.  I ask him to help me narrow it down.  Should I be looking in the leaves on the ground, or under the deck on the concrete?  He looks confused.  Then, I ask if I should be looking at school, or at the house.  At the house.  Inside or outside?  Inside.  Playroom or bedroom?  Playroom?  Where in the playroom?  By the TV?  Police show up.  Because of value, the crime is Felony Theft.  Insurance won't pay a claim without filing charges.  We can file charges against our own son, but because he's a minor, the insurance company would sue us to pay them back for the claim.  So we're stuck in a circle.

Eventually, he opens up a bit to the police officer and says that on his way to the bus stop, he pulled the ring out of his backpack and used a mechanical pencil to pry the prongs open and get the diamond out.  Then, he says the diamond is in his backpack.  We had already checked, but check again.  Then he says he was throwing his backpack in the gym and heard something "tinkle" on the floor.  After an hour of getting really nowhere, the police officer offers to take him down to the station and go through interrogation - and says we should be prepared to let him spend the night at Juvenile Detention.  We pack a bag for him and watch him be taken away.  Then, we get asked to bring in documentation on the diamond (it's insured, appraised, certified & "gem print id'ed") ... When we show up, he says that because Aidan just turned ten, that they cannot admit him to Juv. Det. unless he is violent towards others or himself.  Since he isn't, he'll have to go home with us.  Also, if we press charges, there is no court for him at this age, he would only be required to see a counselor.  During interrogation, with multiple officers, he finally repeats the same story a couple times - until then, all stories had been completely inconsistent.  It seemed that he had the diamond between his fingers on the bus and dropped it.  The police, Aidan, Courtney and some school district person meet down at the "bus barn" and go through the bus.  Ta-Da!  There's a diamond twinkling in the channel of the window frame ...

We're happy to have the diamond back, but heartbroken that this child could lie so easily, without any visible remorse.  His mother sobbed and begged him to just tell her so that we could fix it and he yelled back at her that he didn't know anything, he didn't do anything, and he always gets blamed for things ...  Well, this time he did do it.  He's been in trouble for stealing a few times this school year already and things are escalating.  The police mentioned something about pathological behaviors ...

We are thinking we'll have to go fundraising to send him off to a boys camp.  We are not succeeding in discipline and structure in the manner he needs ... so far, we've found a promising place in Ohio that runs $36K for 18 months, minimum stay.  Ouch.  I'd rather pay that now to get him straightened out, rather than pay it later in fines and fees and bail money, but we don't have it sitting around.  OK, I'm done.  Thanks for listening.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: Venting ... getting something personal off my chest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
My heart goes out to you and you're family Dan.
I can relate in some ways as our youngest son had shown that type behavior when he was younger, as did I.
fortunately we both grew out of it.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:42:37 AM »
Thanks Joe.  I think petty theft is a part of growing up.  I did it, my friends did it ... the worst part was that he could know something was so meaningful to his mom and he had no problem destroying it. 

We've explained that we love him and always will, but that love doesn't pay the bills, and love can't get him out of jail.  He broke more than the ring, he broke our trust.  The ring we can get fixed, and we will, and he will be a part of it (he gets to sell his video game console and games to pay the repair bill) ... but we can't fix the broken trust as easily. 

It was night I hope he doesn't forget.  I'm glad that we can catch him quickly, and not weeks or months later. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
That is really a tough one but like you said, its best to nip it in the bud. Looks like he is going to need some type of counseling at a minimum. I do not have kids and never will. Even if I did, I dont know what I could offer other the best wishes in dealing with this. Very hurtful act.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
Wow, Dan I don't know what to say. That really sucks.

I agree, counselling is the way to go. Get him someplace he's comfortable. It can sometimes take multiple different counselors, multiple clinics, before finding one where he will feel safe and comfortable enough to talk freely. I hope your family can rebuild trust with him and him in the family. Hopefully, deep down, he feels regret and is ashamed of what he did, but it'll take time. For all of you.

All the best and thanks for sharing.

Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »

Thanks for sharing, Dan.

I was in the same situation with a stepson years ago.
I know it will be very hard but let him know he is forgiven.
Check with your church, there may be counselling there and it is somewhere he feels safe.

I know the club members will all pray with me for your family.

1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »
...send him off to a boys camp...

A few decades ago my cousin, young teenager at the time, got mixed up in the wrong stuff - pot, drugs, etc.  His parents mortgaged the house to send him to a boys camp out in the mountains in Washington state.  He failed at the program the first time around as his peers all voted whether he did what he needed to do.  He stayed in the program and got voted out the next time around.  The program never had anyone fail twice as attendees learned the lesson to shape up if you want to move forward with life.

Now he works for Microsoft in their Windows Mobile Phone division, and is doing quite well.

My point is there is light & hope at the end of the tunnel, but it may take a while to get there.  Hang in there.

-Eric

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the words, prayers, and encouragement.

Aidan's "real dad" is in the picture, inconsistently, and only when it's convenient.  We are guessing he's got some deeper emotional problem that's bigger than his 10 year old heart knows how to wrap itself around.  Boot camp will be an option, but I think for now we're going to hunt down some counseling.  It may be that we need to go through the court system and force a regular, court-defined role for his "real dad."  Who knows.

I think he's got a lot of potential, and what I see in him now is an internal struggle with maturity ... I'm hoping his maturity growth starts to kick into gear and catch up with the rest of him. 

My own brother struggled with similar issues - and he's turned out alright, too.  There's room to grow, and he needs to be loved and forgiven.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »

Aidan's "real dad" is in the picture, inconsistently, and only when it's convenient.  We are guessing he's got some deeper emotional problem that's bigger than his 10 year old heart knows how to wrap itself around. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you hit the nail on the head with this. Don't know if you know, but I have two step-kids as well. Emma and my own Aidan. They were much younger when Sarah and I got married. Emma was 6 and Aidan was four, but he had some rebellion issues with me, told me he hated me, etc. We were able to work through it and it's all good now so there's always hope.

The fact that your Aidan rebelled with his mom's engagement ring may have something to do with the reality that "mom and dad" wont be getting back together which I think every "mixed family" kid has to deal with.

We used to split the kids time 70/30 with their dad and now it's 50/50 with a lot of interaction in between.

He's probably just sad, mad, frustrated, confused. All you can do is love him. Talk to him about how his mom getting married wont change how much she loves him, etc. She'll probably have to do most of the heavy lifting on this one and I wouldn't have you mention anything about boot camp or he'll resent you for it like it's you that's sending him away. If it comes to that it'll have to be all her. You may have to step back, but ALWAYS be there. Make sure he knows you love him and you'll always be there for him, and are not replacing his "real" dad.

Anyway, that's enough from me. You probably know all that.

Best of luck to you and your better half! You will ALL get through this!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I don't know really what to say. No kids myself. I was a hooligan too when I was younger. I think we all have done stupid things and our past and have pulled through to become good people.

Sounds like the two of you need some more Glastron time! I bet he could help with the sync-n-link!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
Dan I can feel some of your pain. My daughter acts way different when she comes home from her moms with lying and not listening (she is 9) and my son don't want to go back when he is at my house (almost 5).

I did not have my dad around when I was younger. I found out later in life it was not his choosing my step dad tried but he was not a good father now that I know what one should be like. I did some things wrong when I was younger and did not have a good child hood.  My mom sent me to consoling to get me to listen better. It did not work and I resented her for it. I don't know that I would seek a courts help with "dad" you cannot make someone do something no matter how hard you try. If he wants to he will and if there are problems then he probably won't. He will probably only want to be there for the good times.

You could try consoling but listen to him if he hates it don't push it. Try a few different ones, I have with my daughter. Same with a boot camp or some "system" to help him. If he feels its a punishment or doesn't like it, I think he would just rebel against it. I believe you can not MAKE someone change. I know growing up if you told me NO it was like daring me to do it, this was later probably about 18 or so. I got in some trouble paid my fines and moved on. I really probably didn't grow up much until my daughter was born (25). My mom really did not care what I did. No curfew or rules. Some how I did not get do drugs or drinking.

I also took care of my younger siblings. Both of my brothers moved in with me when they were about 16. Both were way behind in school and no social skills. One is now 26 and doing great. He finished HS, went to college, got a job, bought a house, and then decided to join the Marine Corps. The 2nd brother now lives with me and is 17. His dad was lost in a house fire when he was an infant and he does not know his other side of the family at all.  He has changed a lot in the last few years. He caught up 2 yrs of school in one and was doing great at the beginning of the year. He is now starting to fail classes and I have no idea what to do. Although I am confidant we will make it threw.

I guess what I am trying to say, like I think others have said. Some of it may just be that he is a child and in a "phase". It does suck and it will be very hard.  I would be careful moving forward don't try to ask what is wrong. You wont get any where. He probably don't know. Just be his friend, lots of family time, show that he is loved and you only want what is best. Be his friend not his dad once he see you as a friend you will become dad. My daughter will start to act up when she comes home from her moms, then I think that she realizes that we are stable and we will be here for her for what ever she needs. Maybe try a big brother program. I know my brother will talk to my neighbor some times about stuff. It would give him someone else to talk to, someone that is not his parents. It will be hard but all you can do is be paitent and make sure he knows that you are there if he needs you. Punishment may only result in more outbursts. Some time kids will take negative attention just to get more attention. It is a fine line raising kids there is no rule book for kids or adults for that matter. Best of luck and move forward slow.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
We will included all of you in our prayers. Love him unconditionally is all I can add. Like others said, he probably doesn't know how to identify why he angry and why he is doing what he is doing. Do your best, patience is going to be your best friend and largest challenge. Stay strong.

Rich