Author Topic: Water Crossover vs. Water Pump Small Block Chevy  (Read 4216 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

Water Crossover vs. Water Pump Small Block Chevy
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
Had a conversation with one of the tech guys at Eddie Marine this afternoon regarding the EMI Thunder manifolds I received today. My question was about the thermostat housing. He asked if I was going to run a crossover instead of a water pump on my motor. Not having much knowledge about crossovers he explained that the water flow created by the drive itself was more than sufficient to supply the motor with water flow and that the water pump was not necessary. Wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Red, I would guess you have an opinion on this. I like the thought of the simple stainless housing with just three lines running off it with the AN fittings and braided lines. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Water Crossover vs. Water Pump Small Block Chevy
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
He's right, we don't need a water dist pump on the front of the motor, the cross-over is just fine, looks good, and a little less weight. I concidered using one on my stroker, but then I would have to have bought the other thermostat housing, not cheap, and the cost of the cross-over ... maybe later
a Lot of the big blocks, and jets run a cross-over
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:33:07 AM »
Thanks Red, as always, I knew you would chime in with the info I was looking for. Will have to do some thinking on this one. I have a beautiful polished aluminum water pump if anyone is in the market. Let me know.  ;D

Rich

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Rich if you end up doing that mod I'd love see pictures and costs, ect. I love how Red is always thinking about weight as I agree anything you can do to reduce it in a sterndrive is beneficial in many ways.

Speaking of weight after lifting & moving those centerise manifolds a number times for my new motor and realizing how heavy they are I'm really leaning towards a set of aluminum exhaust manifolds. The EMIs look nice and aren't over the top expensive.

Red or Rich, do the EMIs have one big open plenum like the stock MerCruiser units or individual exhaust runners like you would find in the GLM units?
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
The emi manifolds have individual runners up to near the risers, they are, I think, about 85 pounds lighter than the original center rise manifolds, the glm center rise set is 104 pounds lighter than the old stylw with the risers on the rear.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
Thanks Red!

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
Kip

Another way to lighter, bore it out and stoke it to a 383.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »
I figured out how to reduce the boat by another 200 pounds..............leave my wife and daughter at the house. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Once I make a decision and cost this out, I will let you guys know. I will be patient and wait for the right deal. I got the EMI Thunder manifolds and risers from a guy in VA for $450 shipped to my door. They showed up yesterday and all looks good, I am thrilled.

Rich

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
Rich - Let's see pictures of them when you get a chance.

Jeff - I like your thinking, got a stroker kit laying around that you don't need!..LOL

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
They were surely not new but not abused. I knew I could get them looking nice again, just needed some elbow grease. If you look close, you can see all the scratches on the manifolds.

The risers are in need of some TLC also.

I wet sanded the powder coating, 400, 600, 1000, 2000

Keep in mind it was 4:00am when I was doing this so I could only hand buff. Will do a real buff this weekend but it is heading in the right direction,

I cleaned up one of the risers tonight. Again, only by hand. Will get them on the buffing wheel this weekend, they will look great when I am done.

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
They look great Rich, $450 for everything I'm jealous.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »
Yeah, I have been looking for months. Just waited for the right deal.