Author Topic: 81 Evinrude 80 HP Buzzing  (Read 9951 times)

Offline Capt SkUnK

Re: 81 Evinrude 80 HP Buzzing
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
I would replace the impeller even if the previous owner told you he had done it .
 Then you know it's good .
This was something I was thinking would be a good idea as well.  I'll have a look through the repair manuals at what's involved in changing the impeller.     

I'm fairly mechanical inclined.  With the help of my FSM I tackle jobs such as heater core replacements in jeeps.  Which involves rolling out the dash and splitting the HVAC box, brake jobs, Transmission, Ycase,  Clutch jobs and engine swaps and installing suspension components for lifts and the such.

I'm just getting my feet wet with boat repairs, so it will take some time for me to feel comfortable diving into projects like this.   

I'll get some quotes on some prices for these parts and report back with updates of these repairs and how things go.

As for the impeller replacement.  Wen ordering the parts will I be ordering a kit with everything needed?    Or is it just the impeller I'll be needing to change?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
You did good disconnecting each temp sensor. To replace the bad one you have to pull off the cylinder head water cover then the sensor pulls out of the hole. It's held into the hole by a rubber plug. I know working for an OMC/BRP dealer that some of those older temp sensors may no longer be available but some shops may have some old stock remaining. You'll have to clean up the cover surfaces and replace the gasket for the water cover as well. Be very careful when removing the bolts that hold the cover on, sometimes rust and corrosion will have built up in the bolt threads and they tend to break.

Sometimes these sensors just go bad, not anyone's fault - it just happens. You can run the engine with the bad sensor disconnected. If the engine is going to over heat the other sensor will warn you about it.

In the future if you want to test your warning alarm turn the key on and ground one of the wire connectors at the temp sensors to a bare metal spot on the engine block, the alarm should sound.
So I'm tying to order all the parts for my next weekend project.  But I need some advice as to the correct parts needed to do the sensor replacement... 

Talking to the Evinrude Parts dealer near my local.  I'm trying to determine the correct parts to order.  She keeps saying #27 is the part I need for the gasket. 

But myself looking at that picture  if I'm only taking the Cylinder head cover off... it appears as I would only need part number 29.    The parts dealer is nowhere near me and I'll have to have them shipped to my house.   So would like to get the correct parts on one shot.

Attached is the picture and the circled parts are for the sensor replacement.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
by the diagram, I would also suggest getting #27. When you take the covers off the bolts that hold them look like they secure #27 also. Which if not replaced will probably cause a leak.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
Thanks for the help 75starflight.    Reloading at that picture and the manual it does appear that the bolts go str8t through.

So I'll need to order parts # 29 , 27 & 35. 

Will also be doing the impeller with a water pump kit.    The kit is only $20 more than just the impeller  so I've opted to grab the complete watwr pump kit just to make sure all the parts are new.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk