Author Topic: Remember my cracking splash well ?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline WetRaider

Remember my cracking splash well ?
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »
Any of you remember my topic last summer after discovering cracks at the transom going down the inside corners of the splash well & then clear across the transom?  
And ... a few weeks ago when I split the hull & deck and had the boat drop back into the trailer after ripping off the splash well?

I'm finally mating the two pieces back up today - ready to re-build the splash well where it rises up and caps the transom.  I had lots of grinding and sanding to do - my new transom is about 3/8" thicker than what was there before.  I put a 36 grit flap wheel sander on the grinder and go to town ... and discover that the piece I am re-building had been off before.  Apparently the PO had riveted that piece to the transom so that he could "seal" the two pieces with liquid nails.  Then he added about 1/8" of bondo, primer & paint to cover it all up.  He actually used fiberglass sheetrock joint tape with a painting of resin over his liquid nails.

I must have scraped up or otherwise peeled & pitched a good 3 full tubes of liquid nails on this damn thing.  The stringers he replaced where set down in their channels with a bead of liquid nails & then capped over with woven fiberglass that just peeled up like duct tape.

I'm excited to put the two pieces together and get my motor back on it.  Time to mount the trim pump and set my battery & disconnect.  I might actually be in the water at Rathbun.  Even if someone has to tow me to the beach.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Remember my cracking splash well ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:07:48 AM »
The how not to fix a boat manual !
PO must not have done any research on boat restoreing ...

Make it right !

Last year I showed up at Red Wing on Fri. afternoon with out my boat, got a ride in Red's Scimitar and Bob's CVZ18, later got a ride in Jeff's CVX18.
With so many COOL boats there, not getting your GT done might NOT be so bad ...

Hope ya can get her done in time ...