Author Topic: old motor new find  (Read 11692 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: old motor new find
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
I bought an old lincoln from oklahoma a good 10 years ago and the car had been sitting for at least 10 years too. The MN DMV said that if the car is not in the "system" then they can just issue a new title and that's what they did. I am guessing your boats have both been out of the system for a long time and can just be re-registered if the hull ID number does not bring up any records. A bill of sale always helps. At least that shows you didn't just steal it off someones property.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:34 AM »
aquamaniac: "The boat looks more like a Pla-Mate to me".

I still believe it is the 14 foot PLA-BOY.  The bottom has the 6 or 7 lift stacks, starting in front and ending about 80% back on the boat.  The back is almost flat.  Vary interesting to me because in my quest for speed, I love the deep V haul of my old Glastron but was considering (padding) increasing the flat area on the back of the boat.  With my deep V bottom I have reached my speed limit, if I am too far out of the water standing on the prop it is a wild ride.  The haul Carlson built two years after my boat combine the Glastron famous lift stakes and a falter area on the back, and all are stable at about 20 mph faster than my boat.

Other brochures I have found also describe the PLA-BOY as the Larson as the model with the split walk thru fount and back facing seat. Larson barges that this large seat molded in to the top half of the boat, and then attacked to the floor gave the boat strength.  It is strange seating the frount has a full width bench, than the high molded in step-threw, the driver and passenger would have the high molded back rest, a thread person could sit up front facing the front or back.  That full front bench provides allot of storage, then the walk thru so two molded in back facing seats.  And then a full bench in the back of the boat, more storage.  No problem storing things.  I am thinking one ski locker and one gas/battery box maybe even a built-in ice chest and speakers every ware.  Agreed the deck hardware is out of position for any brochures I can find.  But I plan to make some changes also, rather than look for that big tall flat windshield, I am thinking of glassing on a wind deflector.  It is a tall boat and will never be as sexy as my low Glastron.  The Glastron looks fast sitting still. A wind deflector would give the boat a sleeker ski boat look.  I don?t need no stinking wind shield.

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »
74GlasCasSS
The car rule I know all too well.  I left several valuable vehicles in the barn of the foster home I lived in foolishly believing they would always be there.  While I was working in AZ to open our new Hospital there was a divorce and the farm in MN was sold.  I lost all my cars.  One 1952 ford pick-up the whole motor was chromed  I?m talking beautiful flat-head V-8.  A CJ5 jeep and my old van.  In MN after 7 or 10 years if not licensed whoever has the vehicle owns the vehicles they are considered abandoned.  Hurts me I still have the original titles in my safe.

GT150 JEFF

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Laine

All I did when I bought my gt 150 was a bill of sale.

I do not think they issued titles  on boats  16ft and smaller in those years

My brothers girl friend works for the DMV I will check on it and get back to you

Jeff

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 04:04:50 PM »
Laine, that is really sad. I would be so pissed.

I think you are right Gregg. Neither of my two boats even have titles.

In WI trailers don't need any type of registration for trailers under 3500lbs. You can pull a dumpster behind you car down the road for all they care. and in MN they have the permanent registration and I am not sure if a title is required on them either.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »
I think I will have the farmer currently with position of the boat write a bill of sale.   Take a handful of valium and go to the DMV next week.  Yes I have a prescription.  The trailer I will sandblast, paint, weld something on it and register as homemade.

I have had my Glastron for 2 years now and still do not have the trailer sticker from MN.  I bought the boat in Wisconsin, 2 years of paperwork and fee?s and MN is still not with me on the trailer.  It is just not worth the crap, I will always have homemade trailers.  MN just takes the money no inspection and you get a striker.  Just not worth doing it the right and honest way. With the trailer I know it is just easers to call it home made and give them the money. 

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
I beleive too, that if the registration is left to lapse, they issue new numbers so you have to scrape the old ones off. Good enough reason right there to not let it lapse if possible.
Right, I've never had a "title" for any boat. Registration card...thats about it. I have had decent luck with the DMV I go to. Sounds like you have to deal with a bunch of tyrants. Too bad. Got another one you can go to?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline V153

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
From personal experience it might behoove you to check out a different DMV office. I'd been dealing with the aholes in Sarasota County for far too long. So last time around I decided to try out the Charlotte County office near my shop. What a pleasant surprize! The gals were friendly and helpful and courteous. What a difference. Like night & day. I'll never set foot in that Sarasota office again!
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP