Author Topic: Always get a lil 'melancholy' this time of year  (Read 2742 times)

Offline V153

Always get a lil 'melancholy' this time of year
« on: December 25, 2010, 12:03:10 AM »
Man I miss my Dad. That sob could build or rebuild or fix just about anything. I mean it. From a computer to a commode he had it covered.

Wouldya believe that dang siamese cat was killed by a rattlesnake a couple weeks after this pic was taken? It was the only time I saw my Dad almost cry ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Always get a lil 'melancholy' this time of year
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
Yeah, man...I hear yeah.  First Christmas without my Dad...and it totally stinks. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
Christmas breakfast with my sister this morning, buried my oldest sister two months ago, my mom just a month ago, me and this sister are the only one's left now, we just had the best conversation we have had in a lot of years, reminising, telling family stories from the past, laughing about things we haven't thought about since our childhood, it was a great morning, kinda like a celebration of the life we shared with the one's who have passed on.
We miss our Dad. Mom, and our sister something terrible, but we have the their memorie's to share and charish for the rest of our live's.  I don't like changes either, and the ability to accept things we can not change, and make the best out of the present, has been a challange for us too, but times like today, sitting around the breakfast table, reminising, telling old stories ... was nice.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline V153

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
The best thing to do is remember the good times had. "Mourning" is a waste of energy. Kinda like "worrying". Yeah the first year's tough Doran but trust me it does get better.

My Dad taught me so many valuable things. His mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc skills were 'par excellance'. He didn't always say a whole lot but when he did it was usually short & sweet & sarcastic & hilarious. Probably 'cuz he was extremely well educated. Something he never advertised btw.

I 'member people whom he'd met since retiring to FL come up to me after his service saying, "I never knew yer Dad had a PHD!?" or "I never knew he served in the Air Force!?" That's how humble & soft spoken my Dad was.

Oh well alls I can say is remember the best, forget the rest. And don't ever beat yourself up over things you shoulda coulda done or said differently. That's a waste of time & energy too.

Take care & love the one's yer with.   
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP