Author Topic: 1969 Carlson GT (Anyone know if that is right what year is it)  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Brad

• 1971 Carlson GT
I just got the boat this weekend,was told it may be a 1971.Also would like to find out more about thes boats.Can anyone help.  Thanks,   Brad     I  posted pics hope they show up.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Carlson GT (Anyone know if that is right what year is it)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
You could go here and check out all G/C models in the brochures ...

Carlsons ...

http://www.cgoamn.com/40.html

Glastrons ...

http://www.cgoamn.com/12.html

History of G/C ...

http://www.cgoamn.com/5.html

I don't own one and have never even seen a first year CV16 or had a ride in one so... this is second hand info ...

The first year CV16's only came in green or apricot (orange)and didn't have a windscreen according to brochures, which can be wrong.
Deck might have been changed the next year for the addition of the windscreen but hull should be the same as latter years until model was changed to a CVX16 (1977)and got a pad.
Hull is made for speed but shallow V isn't great in rough water. Boat weighs about 566 lbs which is pretty light for a 16 footer, a GT-150 is listed at 585 lbs and is a foot shorter and 6 inch less beam.

Steve has a 74 CV16 with a well tuned newer 115 Merc and gets high 50's with his, but it a newer Merc with HP rated at the prop and he knows how to set up a boat, your motor would be HP rated at the power head, so you should easily get low to mid 50's if your motor is running and set up right.

Your boat looks to be "redone" with new seats and paint or gel. There should be a tag glassed in or metal plate with model and serial number some where in the boat, find the tag/plate and that would tell you year.

Report back with what you think of it ...

Offline Brad

• 1971 Carlson GT
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
Yes you are right,The owner told me the seats ,carpet,and gel were done over I also have paperwork for a engine rebuild that was done.I found the tag it is a 1971. I have a few things to finish up on it,then i will register it(if I reg it now I will be out in it and won't finish it).Should be in the water this weekend or next. Thanks for the help guys.I will let you know how she runs.   Brad

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:03 AM »
Brad
Is this your first boat ?
Have you ever been around( Dad or Grampa had one) boats/motors ?
How to check cooling, gear case lube, mix gas/oil, check compresion ?

Offline Brad

• 1971 Carlson GT
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Family and friends always had boats and I water skied a lot when i was younger but never had to maintain a boat. So yes this is my first boat.I have worked on cars dirt bikes and rebuilt a few motors 35+ years ,also worked for Wonder Bread repairing bakery equipment and boiler repair,so i a bit of mechanical background.Its great getting help from guys here its been very helpful talking to guys who know boats.I have read a lot of the post and found many answers there too.I did some looking around under the transom bow etc,and found out the boat was once green not the blue it is now.   Thanks for the help,  Brad