Author Topic: Reeds for v4 Evinrudes  (Read 2294 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Reeds for v4 Evinrudes
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
Anyone one ever done business with this guy and/or have his reeds in their motor?  Talked to him (Chris) on the phone earlier today and he was very helpful and informative.  Explained how the reeds work and how his product would be perfect in both the 115 and 88 I have.

I got on the bass boat forum out here and a couple of people have them installed.

Here's the link.  http://www.chriscarsonmarine.com/reed-valves.htm

Offline terry

Re: Reeds for v4 Evinrudes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
i had his reeds in my old cvx and i just installed a set of his reeds on my baja.chris is a good guy and will give you any help you need setting it up.
terry/sandee - 1978 cvx 16 deluxe-modified 2000 100hp johnson.78 cvx16-140 mercury.87 stratos vt rocket 225 Yamaha v-max.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Did you notice improvements as they state? Pretty simple to install?

Offline terry

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
you can install them.i had my installed by my local mechanic.had to have the carbs reset for airflow,also may need to step up a jet size.i would do it your self then take yor boat in and have them tune the carbs to the reeds.the hardest part is resetting the linkage etc for the carbs so they open at the right time.i seen better starts,faster holeshot,and about 3-5mph on the top end.the advantage to them is if you lose one they will not destroy the power head over your stock steel reed.are they worth the 130-150 bucks? sure if you are looking for a little performance.you may also want to talk to montyracing@montyracing.com. he has a lot of knowledge on johnson/evinrude motors and makeing them go fast.
terry/sandee - 1978 cvx 16 deluxe-modified 2000 100hp johnson.78 cvx16-140 mercury.87 stratos vt rocket 225 Yamaha v-max.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the info. He emailed me a price of $80 per set, $10 shipping and about $10 - $15 for the gaskets. So for $100 to $105 I feel it's worth it for improved idle and overall performance. If any fuel savings are there as well then that's a plus.

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:59 AM »
They are on my list for next motor mod's. If/when I do any work on it where I need to open the motor up I'll be swapping them in. Plastic reeds work great in my sled I can't imagine why I'd want to run metal reeds in my boat.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."