General Category > General Discussion

79 Merc 700

(1/4) > >>

TomLund:
Hi and good morning say i need some help.

Last fall as i was winterizing my four winns i was cranking over the 70 horse it was turning over wouldn't fire all at once there was a spark at the battery and then nothing. What i can't figure out if it could be a fuse or if something else. Also took the plugs out 1 and 3 looked used but 2 looks like it has not been running. I know the carbs need a good cleaning and i pick up a fuel pump rebuild kit.

Ideas...........

Thanks again

Tom

Retro Performance:
IF THE SPARK WAS AT THE BATTERY I WOULD THINK IT HAS TO BE BAD/DIRTY/LOOSE CABLE CONNECTIONS.........I DO NOT KNOW HOW ANYTHING ON THE POWERHEAD COULD CAUSE A SPARK THERE.  MY MEMORY IS THAT 1979 HAD EITHER NO FUSE OR AN AGC20 AMP(GLASS) FUSE THAT I THINK WOULD BE IN A HOLDER ON THE RIGHT? SIDE OF THE POWERHEAD.  TOM I CAME ACROSS A COMPLETE 3.0 ENGINE HARNESS WITH A COIL IN IT, I WILL POST A PHOTO TONIGHT TO SEE IF IT WILL DO YOU ANY GOOD.

TomLund:
Sounds good thanks Don. The motor is a 79 i am guess that it could be a loose connection but i will check to see if there is a fuse. another question is it hard to take apart and clean the carbs?

Rich_V174SS:
If I understand correctly you were cranking the engine, there was a spark at the battery and then no sign of life? Sounds to me like a loose battery cable. Make sure they're clean, shiny, and tight.

Retro Performance:
I found this harness when I was housecleaning......it is the engine harness for 3.0, if you think you can use it you are welcome to it. I will be bringing a couple things up to Rosscoe in the not distant future. I think that would put me close to Stillwater on the ride out.  Let me know.  I think I would check spark once you get the 70 cranking, sounds like maybe the clean one is not firing...........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version