Author Topic: Official 2012 Glastron Classic Meet - August 17th-19th Red Wing, MN  (Read 66516 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Official 2012 Glastron Classic Meet - August 17th-19th Red Wing, MN
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »
Well, 'Green with Envy' is a water patrol officer by day, and Jim is a Power Squadron member so any questions could probably be definitively answered by either one.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:10 PM »
I've put together a list of tips for first timers and pro's alike... Please take a minute to read thru this information and add to it if you there are other things that could be helpful!

I've contacted the Pierce County Sheriff's office and asked them if they would take some time on Friday evening and Saturday morning to meet with our group and answer questions and provide us with a safety briefing.  I'm hopeful that they will send some of their water patrol deputys over to share with us.  Granted, that won't help us as we prepare in advance, but I think that it would be a great thing for us to have some one-on-one time with the water safety division.

There are a few keys to remember...  There are certainly other things, but here are a few of the major ones that apply to most everyone... (These specifics might be slightly outdated, but remain good rules of thumb for all watercraft).

You Must Have Onboard...

1) A Lifejacket (PFD, Coastguard Approved) for each person onboard.  Please note that the regulations may state "accessable" or "within reach".  I have known some deputies to write warnings for PFD's still in the origional packaging or PDF's that are stowed in a place not easily within reach.

2) A Horn capable of producing a audible sound to be heard at a range of 1/4 mile.  This regulation generally applies to boats 17' and longer, but is perfectly applicable to all watercraft.  The audible device is not required to be attached to the boat.  Canned air horns, emergency whistles, and other auditory hand held devices are acceptable for boats small enough to not have a factory installed horn.

3) A Coast Guard approved throwable device. In most cases, this is limited to a cushion style PFD available in most sporting goods stores.  There is not a lot of other options.  Please note that just because it floats and you can throw it, that does not make it a "throwable PFD" in the eyes of the state.

4) Proper documentation of ownership. I recommend a copy of your registration, but the main thing is to ensure that your hull registration sticker is current and visible on the hull.

5) A fire extinguisher...  I know that the law lists a particular length under which you are not required to have one, but seriously...  Bring a fire extinguisher. (They are small, and can be mounted under the dash)

Now...  Some reccomendations that may not be law, but can be darn helpful!

Bring a flashlight or a spotlight for navigation and emergency signaling in the dark.

For daytime emergencies, consider making a signaling flag.  This can easily be done with some blaze orange fabric secured to a 3' dowel rod.  This can be used as a signal flag to wave at passing boats if you need assistance.

Consider a hand pump for bilge emergencies.  They can be purchased for less than $20 at most marine stores.  The basic varities are a long tube with a hand pump that can syphon water out of your boat in the case of emergency.

Jumper cables, booster boxes, spare batteries, etc. are not bad ideas!  :)

Consider a small portable tool kit.  Automotive stores often carry small zippered cases with basic sockets, screwdrivers, cutting blades, tape, etc.  Along with that, consider packing some zipties, ziploc baggies, spare rags, disposable rubber gloves, and anything else that you could possibly imagine could be useful to fix a 30 year old broken down motor.

Bring a spare quart of every type of fluid that your motor uses.  

Bring an extra bilge drain plug

Have more than one anchor...  The river current is different from lakes.  Remember that if you find yourself in trouble, the current can take you a long distance in a relativly short time.  If you find yourself stranded or without power, consider deploying anchors to prevent yourself from getting in a worse situation.

Bring tow rope with quick connect ends.  There is nothing worse that needing a tow and not being able to find a easy to use tow rope.

If you have a belt on anything...  bring an extra!

Boating while intoxicated is a crime and does apply to your driving record in the state of MN.  The legal limit is .08% BAC.  It is legal to comsume alcohol while boating, but please be cautious and understand the laws.

Barges are BIG, and have the right-of-way.  Do not find yourself directly in front of one.  If you do, you will loose, and we will miss you!

Young children must be wearing a properly fitting PFD at all times when underway in a watercraft.

For specifics on this information please consult the 2012 MN Watercraft guidebook posted by Gregg.  Also, please understand that the Mississippi River is under the jurisdiction of multiple law enforcement and state agencies.  The best strategy is to be overly prepared for any situation and stay safe and within the law.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:11:27 PM by Administrator »
Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
Next Topic... What are some of the things that we need?

Firewood! (There is some available there, but I would prefer not to have to buy it.)

Beverages and coolers. We need a few coolers with water bottles and ice for the general public

Pot-Luck Food...  This is open for your input.  It's been great the past few years that people have just been bringing food items and throwing them out on the table.  I would love to do that again this year.  I will be doing a nice big grilled bbq chicken feed on Saturday evening, but would love for you all to bring the side dishes.  The main meals will be Friday Evening, and Saturday Evening.  I would suggest, that you bring something for yourself, and something to pass.

Lunch on Saturday will be picnic style on the beach.

We will NOT be going to Hok-Si-La beach this year.  We WILL be beaching at the sandy beach to the North of Hok-Si-La where we ended up last year. To my knowledge, there is not road access to that beach, to it will not be possible to meet up with the group in Lake City unless you plan for that on your own.

Tiki Torches, citronella candles, foggers, bug repellant stuff...  If you have it, bring it.  I'm tired of itching for weeks afterward!

Awnings, canopys, etc.

Kids Activities and Games

What else???
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »
Activity and event suggestions...

So...  This is Your club!  Each year at the meet, we have tried to have special activities that were fun, got people connected, were exciting, and special for the club.  We have had special music, video showings, boat parades, some chef guy cooking some decent food, door prizes, award ceremonies, etc.

This year, I want to open it up to you...  What would YOU like at your meet?  I would love for you to take the ball and run with it.  If you have something in mind that the group might like, bring it / do it / oversee it / suggest it...  Whatever!

The meet is a great time to make memories!  What would you like yours to be?

Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »
Ok...my suggestion Brian is for us to get an online member directly - User name & Boat  (doesn't have to include real names and we can blur out registration...)

Doesn't help for the meet though!

I'm happy to bring up the projector again.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:35:44 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bellj

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »
We recently acquired a gallon of "Orange LavaBurst Hi-C" syrup that we'll plan to bring along. It makes 5 or 6 gallons once the water is added if I remember right. We can use it all at once or split it up - however everybody/anybody wants. It's not everybody's "cup of tea", but at least is something the kids might enjoy as well. We have one of those "lemonade" dispensers that we can put an ice plate in - should work OK for this type of drink. If I remember correctly, they had ice available at the campground, didn't they?

We have three fairly long tubes of paper cups that we'll bring for the drink as well.

Thanks!   :)

Jim
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »
I can bring firewood and was planning on bringing some dishes to pass/ share. I have a few coolers that I can bring as well. Brian and myself also will be bringing some beer that we made for whoever would like to try some. Over 21 of course. I also have a box of give away stuff Koozies, key floats, chap stick, bandannas, water proof cell phone holder. The stuff says Farmers Insurance on it but its free. I was also going to bring a Few door prizes if you would like.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Hey Doran, I can't remember if you had a screen or not. I could bring that again this year. It's a nice tripod mounted one.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »
If you do store fuel in an enclosed area you do still need to vent it. My V172 has a bow mounted tank but then in the bilge area, you can store gas in there and close it off by flipping down the rear seat. The boat came from Glastron with vents (like an I/O) for this purpose.

Either way, you shouldn't need the extra gas. There are on the water stations in Redwing (starting point) and Lake city (end point) which are maybe 15 miles apart.

Should be a very nice trip. Water levels are lower which means low current and low debris. Unless we get hit with a HUGE storm before next weekend.

One more thing. I am pretty sure, in the 4 years we have done this even, not one person has been stopped by the water patrol, they are out there, but I think they can tell we are a responsible group.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:44:16 AM by 74GlasCarlSS »
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »

Hey Doran, I can't remember if you had a screen or not. I could bring that again this year. It's a nice tripod mounted one.

We would need your screen, and then speakers & receiver...my receiver is on its last legs.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »

We would need your screen, and then speakers & receiver...my receiver is on its last legs.

No worries, I'll bring it all including the projector just in case!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
I forgot you had it all.  Cool, just bring it all!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
I forgot you had it all.  Cool, just bring it all!

Better safe than sorry right? Can't wait!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »
I would hesitate to put a gas tank behind the rear seat of my CVX-16 that is not ventilated because of a spark from the battary. I would put a spare gas tank in the rear passenger area, even though that area is cramped to begin with.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:16:01 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline bellj

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 06:51:29 AM »
I just bought a very small 3 gallon plastic marine type because it's a very flat model that could sit out on the main floor out of the way some place if it had to, even between the seats without looking too stupid, and the hose wraps around it to make it real compact and it's got a pretty good sealing mechanism.

After considering everyone's advice, I'm no longer worried about needing it for this event as much as just having it along on our regular outings - should be just enough to get back to the starting dock or at least off "the main drag" to a shoreline if we did happen to run out. (plus there's always the trolling motor and the ores that I keep in the ski locker)   ;)

Thanks everyone for your input!   :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:55:48 AM by bellj »
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
I can bring firewood and was planning on bringing some dishes to pass/ share. I have a few coolers that I can bring as well. Brian and myself also will be bringing some beer that we made for whoever would like to try some. Over 21 of course.

We have plenty of wood here, and the DNR didn't find any ash borrer in the tap by the pile so we are good there.

I checked on the beer production last night  We should have a Wheat and a Strawberry Wheat ready to go.  I'll keg it mid next week to make sure that it lasts the weekend.  The hard lemonade (Momma's Little Helper) will be touch and go at that time, it will be mature enough to drink but it tends to be a little syrup-y intil about 6 weeks out.

I also have a canapy that we can bring bean Bags, bocce ball 2 kids and an old yellow lab who doubles as a rug.

Oh yea, and I'll bring my award winning V-184 too ;D
limping through life's little suprises

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »
If anyone is having doubts about making the trip or spending the night...  take a look at the weekend weather forecast!  Mid-70's and sunny with a touch of clouds!  Lows in the mid50's to 60's.  Can't get much better!
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
Hello from San Antonio TX.  I know i've not been on the forum much, but just wanted to drop a line and let you know I'll be there this year and really looking forward to seeing you all again.  In fact, I'll be picking up a new (to me) G-tron in that area and will be bringing it to the meet.  I've been keeping it kinda quiet... thought you might like the surprise when I get there.  Gregg... sshhhhhhh.  Some may already know about it, which is cool... I just don't have any good pics of it yet after the work that's been done.  Heck, I haven't even seen it yet in person.  Hopefully it will run correctly!  I will actually be getting there on Wed afternoon at the Island campground if all goes well and staying through Sunday morning, minus Thursday evening/Friday morning to visit with a friend north of there.  If anybody is there that early look for me... Red/Brown Z71 with a boat :) 

Cheers and see you in a week or so.

Mark
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
If anyone is having doubts about making the trip or spending the night...  take a look at the weekend weather forecast!  Mid-70's and sunny with a touch of clouds!  Lows in the mid50's to 60's.  Can't get much better!

Don't jinx it Brian!!!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
" Gregg... sshhhhhhh "

The only way I'll keep quiet is if you give me a ride in the new  ....

LOL