Author Topic: Water levels on the Mississippi River  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Burnin Daylight

Water levels on the Mississippi River
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
Again this summer here in Oklahoma we are under drought conditions.  The governor has issued a burn ban and the temps today were as high as 109 in one small town, (105 here in Edmond Ok), and more of the same predicted for the rest of the week.  I'm seeing on the national news that Iowa and Indiana are losing their corn crops to drought also, and that it is expected in the near future to move as far north as even Minnesota. Farmers and ranchers are selling off their livestock and the price of milk is expected to rise by 40 cents per gallon in the next week or so. There was another broadcast that I saw yesterday that down around Memphis and some of the southern states that the Mississippi is nearly non navigatable due to low water levels, as much as 17.5' below normal. As of last weekend the lake level of Lake Arbuckle where I boat was not noticeably low, however, Red says that Lake Hefner here in OKC is starting to show low lake levels.  How is the water level of the Mississippi up near Red Wing and the other rivers and lakes that you guys boat? I know that you all have had some storms lately, but is there any local concern that the drought will move north?
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Water levels on the Mississippi River
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
We are getting temps in the mid to high 90's but no drought in the cities.
Last week the river level was pretty high as it was last year.
Check out the water over the Ford dam, about a 7 mph current where picture was taken ...

Offline MarkS

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
I've been wondering about that as well, I'm with y'all in spirit if not actually being there.  It's been a weird year for weather so far in a lot of places.  Barb I thought about you and Red tonight when I saw the weather report where Oklahoma to St. Louis was 105+ degrees all the way up through there!  There's an "All Classics" boat show coming up in a few weeks in Beloit, WI and they're warning boaters about the low water levels there, guess it's getting pretty dangerous.  Everybody be safe, I sincerely hope the water levels hold out for you guys, at least until the "Glastron Classic".

I'm afraid you're right about food prices too, prices will probably get crazy high this fall?

PS - That current scares the crap out of me Gregg, you guys will have to tutor me on boat handling on the river if when I  make it up there!   :o
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:04:22 AM by MarkS »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »
Just have to watch bouys (red & green) to stay out of trouble !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
Well we are in the same boat here in Nebraska as you guys are. Just learned today that the boat ramps are all closed at Sherman reservoir. That is the lake I go to the most because it is only an hour drive.  
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:02:04 PM »
Just have to watch bouys (red & green) to stay out of trouble !

You just have to remember -  Red - Right - Return
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:41 AM »
The Rock River in Beloit, Wisconsin is at low levels.  This is a small river, with occasional dams, one being in Beloit.  These dams are low-head, maybe 4 or 5 feet of water depth held in the pool above the dam.   I have seen this river on occasion, low enough to walk across and not get your knees wet.  It is not maintained for navigation, or even recreation.

The Mississippi River is a complete opposite of the Rock River.  The Mississippi is huge, has a huge drainage basin.  Each dam along the river holds back 7 to 11 feet of water.  The Army Corp of Engineers designed and maintains the navigable river channel to provide at least 9 feet of channel depth along the entire length.  Even during a drought, at low pool, there will be 9 feet of water depth in the main channel for commercial navigation (tows pushing barges of grain, coal, iron ore, salt, liquid fuel, etc).  Just stay between the red and green buoys that mark the commercial (main) channel of this river.   TS :o

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:04 AM »
Lake Pokegama in Grand Rapids, MN is connected to two smaller lakes and the mississippi river flows through one of them and the lake as of last weekend is higher than I've ever seen it.

The "beach" last weekend

The beach last year

Texas and Amy at the bottom of the stairs last weekend

Texas at the bottom of the stairs last year
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:14:25 AM by 76bayflite »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
Thanks for helping out Texas!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
My brother hasn't been able to use his place on Big Sandy lake in McGregor MN all summer due to high water levels. The whole lake is no-wake. His dock and lift that he put in during the spring have all been taken out. Mostly like by August they'll be able to use the lake again.

With the Missisippi I'd rather it was low than high as the less current the better IMHO. As already stated the maintained channel for commercial river traffic is plenty deep for our little Glastrons even when the river is low. If gets too low they won't run the locks for recreational boaters but where we run that isn't a problem.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline kert0307

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »
Red Rock in Iowa is not too bad, it's 30 feet lower than last year, but it was really high then, and the Army Corps fluctuates it soo much it still seems normal.

I was in Clear Lake last week and it is a few feet low. My father in-law lost prop to a rock and I heard rumors at the marina that they had gotten 200 props in for repair in the last two weeks...

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »
I was on Calamus reservoir yesterday and levels were really good for this time of year. All irrigation has been shut off for the season.

Then on the way home decided to drive to Sherman Reservoir and found one ramp open, it is around 20 to 30 feet down from last year. I have heard rumor that irrigation will be shut off out of sherman with in the next week or two.

1975 v-179 starflite

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
*This just in*  my dad said the corps of engineers let open the flood gates at the paper mill dam in grand rapids so we now have around 12ft of beach (little less than average).  I'm guessing this means miss river levels have dropped between there and the dam in little falls.  Levels remain fairly high from St. Cloud to Otsego as I crossed the river at both locations today and noticed both high water levels and strong currents.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
On the st. Croix right now. Water is a little low but still plenty high enough! Mississippi in Hastings looks good too!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O