Author Topic: 1973 Glastron V 184  (Read 4210 times)

Offline ruppco

1973 Glastron V 184
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
I recently bought a 73 Glastron V 184 which I'm thoroughly enjoying.  The engine serial number is: 302v84017.

It has what appears to be a 302 v8 in it but i can't find replacement parts as easily as i had imagined.  Does anyone know the best route to get parts for this beauty?  Plugs, wires, cap and rotor to start...  and then eliminating the wonderful belt squeal i have since blowing through an alternator belt and replacing it would be a nice change as well.

While i'm on a roll....  why would the outdrive (volvo 270) "bob" when in reverse?  The fella that i bought it from mentioned that it needs to be trimmed all of the way down in order to lock into place for reverse but I'm 90% sure that i've done that... so is there a possibility that the locking can be an issue?  And why does it need to be trimmed all of the way down to lock in?  It makes for very difficult maneuvering when trimmed up as is let alone when the motor is "bobbing". Apparently my skills need to improve.  :)

I'm in Apple Valley Mn and would really appreciate any help especially if anyone knows somewhere locally for me to go.

Thank you for putting this forum together.

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
Re: 1973 Glastron V 184
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Tune-up parts should be readily available from most marinas and even from a Volvo Penta parts dealer. Your drive most likely doesn't have tilt with trim, just tilt, so it should always be down all the way when driving. There's a latching mechanism beneath the drive that is supposed to lock onto the trim pin when down and there's supposed to be a lever or rod that pushes against it when in reverse to hold it there. The rod should be connected to the shift mechanism behind the cover plate on the back of the drive.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
parts are available at Hannays Marine in Minneapolis (Volvo Penta Dealer)......612 781 7411, parts can be shipped to your location if pick up is an issue......if you were interested in Mallory or Sierra kits you could also use the CGOAMN 15% discount.  Attached is a photo of an aftermarket Hydraulic trim for the 250 and 270 drives.....this allows the Volvo to trim while running like a Mercruiser. I have information on the company but I don't think they are still making these, it is a neat item but tough to find. My memory is that there is a rod that extends from the gimble housing to push the reverse lock into position (left side I think), I think there is a round pad on the end where it contacts the reverse lock rod. Seems to me we used to see that round pad fall off and the end of the rod get damaged from hitting the reverse lock rod....this caused the reverse lock not to function. That seems right to me but it was about 30 years ago and my memory is as old as I am.

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:12 AM »
There is a ram in the attached to the housing on the left side of the transom in the rear, that is what raises and lowers the motor. When it is down (as in raising the motor) it pushes against a metal rod called the "thrust lever" that disengauges the reverse lock.  On my 184 it broke about a $30 part replacing it was rather simple but you have to make sure that it is adjusted correctly.
limping through life's little suprises

Offline ruppco

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I think I got it!  Woo!

The belt still squeaks like crazy but I'll mess with that a little more before I get too upset.

Thanks again.