Author Topic: Stater issues  (Read 2800 times)

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
Stater issues
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:02:13 PM »
So a week or so ago We went out on the White Bear with Shawn and another friend of mine with his boat.

The ramp was full so I let my wife go with the boat to meet me at our access on the other side of the lake where I would meet up with her and go out to the point.

As she left my buddy Dave showed up with his boat and a parking spot opened up at the lot.  I parked helped Dave launch his boat and waited for his wife to park his truck so we could head out for the evening.  His wife ran up to me with her phone screaming that my boat was on fire.  We jumped into Dave's boat and headed across the lake.  Half way across the lake Dave's boat died...Fuel line issues.  We were able to get his going enough to get to Shawn at the sand point.  From there Shawn and I went to my boat on the other side of the lake.  Sara and the kids were in tears the she used the fire extinguisher and sprayed down the seat....which wasn't on fire.  The starter was still grinding  We cut the power and Shawn pulled us back to the sand bar for an hour or so until we he towed us in for the evening. 

I ordered a new starter on E-bay thinking that this one was trashed as its pretty burned up.  However when it showed up today it has only has 3 terminals on it, not the 4 that I need.  I still need to get a new ignition which is what I believe caused the issue.

I assume that I need to have the correct amount of terminals on this baby to make it work is there anyway that I can make this work or am I SOL and need to return and order a new one?
limping through life's little suprises

Offline 75starflight

Re: Stater issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
Brian, with three terminals you should have your battery connection, large post, small terminal which goes to your start terminal on your switch, and then you would have your other large post which should crank over your starter. If i am thinking correctly you should be able to hook up your power for the coil during starting to the post that powers the starter. Typically that is what the other small post or fourth terminal is for. Then when you release the switch back to the run position it should by pass the solenoid and run your coil from the key switch.

Correct me if my thinking is wrong guys, but that is what I would do if it were on the starflite.
Good luck Brian I hope it works for you.

Oh, make sure you check the number of teeth on the bendix on your old starter to make sure your new starter matches, or you could end up replacing the flywheel!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
I agree with what was said I will be around tonight as well so we can take a look.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
Back in the days, you had a resistor before the coil so you wouldn't run 12 volts through the points. The second small terminal was so you could get full voltage to the coil for starting. if you used both small terminals you will need a starter with that set-up. Now for your sticking problem. Normally what happens is the plunger gets rust on it from getting wet and when you start the motor the plunger sticks and holds the starter on. I would try the starter before I would replace the switch.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »
Here is a pic of the starter before removed and a pic of the new starter and old new is on the right. Also Jerry the key switch I believe is messed up when we were working on the boat you just barely turned the key and it would engage then move it a little more and it would stop
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
You should be ale to swap the solenoids.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline bambam

• 1974 V-184 Crestflite
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
we got it up and running, special thanks to Shawn and my father-in-law for doing the kneeling.  I'm going to get a new key switch and starter this weekend to complete the fix and we are up and running.
limping through life's little suprises