Author Topic: Rectifier - Battery Charge  (Read 1734 times)

Offline WetRaider

Rectifier - Battery Charge
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »
Question for the outboard experts ...

The tach that came with the boat doesn't work off the switch box, but works off the rectifier ...

Late last summer, I had burned through the insulation on the wires and had a little smoldering smokestack under the gunwales/gunnels ...

Noticed at Red Wing that the volt meter on the dash hovered around 14 V for the first couple short runs ... during the slow grind of parade, it pegged over 16 and held.  Never dropped.

I might go pull the tach lead and see if it drops back down ....

Any other ideas?  Should I look to replace rectifier?

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline bellj

Re: Rectifier - Battery Charge
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:18 PM »
I haven't run into this exact problem, but some of the outboards have unregulated voltage, and since a rectifier's job is to take the alternating current (AC) and with diodes change it into direct current (DC), I'm wondering if there is a break where your battery isn't in the charging circuit even though it (the battery) might be still connected to the starting and other circuits. Do you know what your voltage is at the battery terminals while the outboard is running?

The battery probably acts like a bit of a voltage regulator if this engine doesn't have a large amount of charging current capability - but if the battery is out of that rectifier circuit it might be able to go to a higher voltage. Just a thought.

If you have a multimeter handy, you might unhook the rectifier and try some resistance measurements. I found a few troubleshooting procedures with pictures on this site (it's not perfect, but does give a general starting point): http://www.myoutboardengine.com/rectifier.html

I have heard that some "not so old" outboards didn't have voltage regulators until the manufacturers finally decided to add them in more recent years - so it might be possible that 16 volts is not totally out of range - maybe was alright before we started adding electronics such as depth finders, but I would think that it would not be that great for the battery regardless unless there was enough load to normally keep that voltage down a bit. Good luck!
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline WetRaider

Re: Rectifier - Battery Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »
Jim - I can go and check.  I might take a run on the lake Thursday, would be a good time to check voltage at the battery.  I can tell you that I'm running a cheap Wal Mart battery.  It was my spare, until the foster german shepherd we had at the house at through the casing of my primary battery last summer.  Thanks for the ideas.

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150