Author Topic: Parts Came in.  (Read 2621 times)

Offline igor_sqa

Parts Came in.
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
Well, I got the parts I ordered for the 1981 evinrude.

Boat will be in the garage this week and I will start working.
Question is, where should I start?
I am thinking of dropping the lower unit and start there.  Replace everything around the water pump and the impeller first.  I bought the lower unit seal kit... how hard is it to replace the countless seals on the lower unit?

Fuel pump looks fairly easy.
Carbs will be the last item on the agenda. 
Is it difficult to set the timing on the engine?  Are there any special tools besided the timing light that are needed?  can it be done in the driveway, or will need to be on the water?

Thanks.

Igor

Offline MarkS

Re: Parts Came in.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:17 AM »
I bought the lower unit seal kit... how hard is it to replace the countless seals on the lower unit?
It's not as bad as it looks, I'll see if I can find the thread from where I re-sealed mine this summer.  You can use a standard wheel (or harmonic balancer) puller for the propshaft bearing carrier, just have to make some long bolts out of "redi-rod".  Before removing the shift rod I screwed it down to the bottom noting how many turns it took.  (This is an adjustment, needs to go back where it was.)  6 turns, as I recall.  The hardest part was lining up the disk/plate the bearing carrier bolts to, as it just "floats" in there until it's bolted up.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline igor_sqa

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
Mark,

That would be great if you can tell me the name of the thread.
I was looking at the manual today, trying to figure out how to disconect the shifter rod and drop the lower unit so I can work on it.
Looks like there is a pin where the shifter cable come together with engine, but how does that disconct from the rod?

Igor

Offline MarkS

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »
I found it, here's a link;
http://www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/j-e-g-o-s-place/1978-evinrude-115-v4-model-1115899c#51182
(Gearcase stuff is toward the bottom of the thread.)  I'm no expert, but will be glad to help with whatever info I can, HTH
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:03:24 AM by MarkS »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline igor_sqa

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Thanks Mark,

I got the lower unit off today.... that was a project... that little screw holding the shifter rod is not easy to get too.
Take a look at the pics here.

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7520&start=10

Offline MarkS

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »
"Bonus points" for digging right in there Igor, good for you!  Yes that shift rod connector screw is a little tight to get at, a magnetized screwdriver is a must if you're doing it without pulling the lower carb.  BTW there's usually a drain hose running from the intake silencer back down to the crankcase, and sometimes a pressure hose from the motor to the fuel pump down under the bottom carb.  This is the time to replace those, unless they're in really good shape!  Either one can cause issues later, and they're often neglected since they're such a bugger to get at normally.

Your lower unit oil doesn't look milky, I think I'd listen to Rich and Gil and save the seal kit for later.  Check the seal under the water pump carefully, wouldn't hurt to get the lower unit pressure checked before you bolt her back up?
Mark
1978 SSV-176