Author Topic: Red's Scimitar project  (Read 19473 times)

Offline Burnin Daylight

Red's Scimitar project
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
If you haven/t checked in on Red's Scimitar project, he is to the step of moving the transom back, so that he can raise the X.

http://www.olered.com/GarysBoat.html
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Red's Scimitar project
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »
You do good work Red!!!  Anxious to see it!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
i have been keeping taps on that thread... vary cool and informative, descriptions are great.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
Yea .. and where have you been Barb ?
after Clay and the neighbor boys showed up, and cleaned out the wet floor, I haven't seen hide nor hair of Any of ya,  I was hoping some of you would show up when it came to the cutting and grinding inside the hull, but NO ... I had to do it all by myself ... Some friends.

Just kidding of course, I'm lucky to have good friends around me, even when it's dirty work, well, Especially when they jump in and do the dirty work  :)
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:14:49 PM »
Great thread, I've been watching as well....I'm sure you never thought about making it an outboard and sticking an old 90 hp Mercury on the  back...lol

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »
Nope .. I still feel sorry for that poor little scimitar
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
Never saw that one , what's the story on that ?

Offline MarkS

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Great stuff in that thread Red, thank you for sharing! 
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
That white scimitar is in one of the lower eastern states ?? I forgot where, the owner contacted me through the
http://www.olered.com/CarlsonSite.html  and told me when he got the boat it was a rotten project with no motor,  and he had the Merc, he sent me the pic but I've not heard from him since,  maybe he took offence to the post I made "poor little scimitar"

and Yes, the scimitar project is moving along, it was a little "spooky" flipping it over in the shop, with no more room than I have to flip a hull this size.  After beginning the sanding and filling, I am wishing I had left it hanging on it's side for a while, would have been easier to hold up the grinder and sander, I'm a little sore and stiff this morning from reaching and working to the keel.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Red not sure what you are using for primer or paint. I used this company www.southernpolyurethanes.com for my Clearcoat on the 18 when i repainted it and it is holding up good.  When I do the 23 I will be using their white epoxy primer and then a white Omni Acrylic Enamel with hardener. and their clear coat again. Very helpful if you have any questions as well.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
I use a thin coat of epoxy primer/sealer, and I also used the Omni MTK system, thats what was on "Red'sGold"
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Moving along well. I wish I was this far in my 23 build.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
yes, it's coming along alright, I get a little done each day, I think I've uncovered all the surprizes now, got the new wood put back in the starbord side today and all buttoned up, probably get the port side done tomorrow, got the wood cut.

I've been thinking about putting a belly tank in this one, like your CV-23, but fiberglass, built bewteen the stringers, I have ran it across Gary but haven't got the go yet. The fiberglass tank would be a bit heavier than an aluminum tank, but about 1/3 the cost, I priced the vinyl ester resin, and the steel flex epoxy coating, I was surprized the vinyl ester is only $15 more a galon than the clearcoat.  The tank would be 6' long,  5" in the center 2 1/2 on the sides and 21" wide, a center strengthener and two baffels on each side. and setting on about a 1" bed of the secure set polyurethane foam.

Trying to calculate how many gallons it would hold made my brain hurt ? 
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
Well Red, it's a little early in the morning for this, but I wanted a little brain exercise I guess, so here it is...

If those are the inside dimensions, it would hold 25.32 gallons, minus whatever you put in for support and baffles.

If those are the outside dimensions, and you figure a 1/4" thickness, it comes out to 21.5 gallons, minus internal stuff.

I'd say you could estimate from those numbers that 1/8" thick would be about 23.5 gallons, and 1/2" would give you around 17.5 gallons.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
Dang  Steve  !

didn't take you long to get all that figgered out, thanks.  If I could come up with at least 30 gallons I think
it would be a good deal, but a tank in the 20's is a little small for a river trip,  I donno ?
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
I'm thinking about mounting an auxiliary or reserve tank in the rear seat structure on mine, maybe 15 gallons just as a backup to the bow tank for long trips, but still undecided. I don't like the idea of adding rear weight, but, I guess if I ran that fuel off first and kept the bow tank full for the long haul, that might help. I don't know, there are MANY decisions to make as this project begins... when it begins...
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Hi Steve,  there were a few things I concidered when I had the 16 gallon tank made that I put under the back seat in Red'sGold, knowing it added a hundred pounds back there, and because I moved the motor back, adding more weight to the stern.  I don't know what will work for anyone else, especially depending on how they want to use their boat, but I can tell ya what worked for me on that boat, and I ran it for one season, took it to a couple shows as it was designed, but sporting a little more horse power. 

Moving the motor back added weight to the stern ... I removed about 200 pounds weight off the motor and rebuilding the back seat reduced another 30 pounds

Raising the drive reduced trim effect ...  moving 100 pounds of gas from the bow to the back seat gained bach trim effect

I never ran that boat with the back tank before I done the mod to the transom, and installed the bigger motor, so I can't give spec's on that, but I do know that adding more weight to the stern, with-out reducing weight will set the boat deeper in the water, more time to get the boat on plane, but probably no more than a 10 year old in the back seat.

I usually just kept 3 or 4 gallons of gas in the bow tank and ran out of the back tank. With 240 pounds of gas in the bow tank made 3 mph difference in the boats speed.  Choppy water, 240 pounds if gas in the bow, in my opinion, caused a lot of stress on the hull, keeping more boat in the water, rougher ride.  Little gas in the bow tank, running off the back tank allowed the boat to skip across the waves more on the stern, much better ride.

When I took that boat to Red Wing I had the 16 gallon back tank full and 25 gallons gas in the front tank, that seemed to be a good balance for that boat, even with 5 people on board, decent planing time, good ride and good speed.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
"even with 5 people on board, decent planing time, good ride and good speed. "

MAN . . .  Is that an understatement Red !

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
Hey Red

Whats the story on the 1958 Aero Commander?

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:16:19 PM »
Hey Red
Whats the story on the 1958 Aero Commander?

it's a 1954 560 with GO480's  ser# 157  built under the Aero Design patent, Bob Hoover done the testing on it with
those engines, and it was retained by Aero Design until they became AeroCommander and it was sold in 1956

it was a project I bought several years ago, took me a year working evenings and week-ends to get it back in the air, then two months to get a new airworthines certificate because it was a suspected drug plane
I sold it in 1990, the engines were about ran out, cost more to re-build them, and the gear boxes than the plane was worth, it was a 200 mph plane, 3 blade Hartzells, 160 cruise @ 70% power,  it was Expensive to fly, but it sure was fun !
1980 23ft Scimitar