Author Topic: If you know any one that can Help Let me know  (Read 6013 times)

Offline fireman24mn

If you know any one that can Help Let me know
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
I have come to know quite a few of you on a personal basis. Many of you I would consider good friends. There is a vast group of people on here from all walks of life and this is why I am posting this message. I do not want sympathy or handouts. If you know anyone that can help or recommend good legal counsel please forward them my name or send me their name. I am not sure what else to do and do not know who else to contact. Today I sent a long and detailed message to the Head of each state district for Child protective services and their Guardian Ad Litem program also to the Governor as well as the president (Doubt I will hear from either of them though). I also sent it to many of the contacts that I have myself.

On to the problem at hand.  I will try and keep this short and just give the main Facts.

Most of you have meet my Daughter. I was awarded custody of her when she was 4 months old and have raised her by myself for many years. Until I met my wife who is great and is unbelievable with my daughter, she truly treats her as her own.  I was awarded custody because her mother had a problem with Meth and alcohol. She was out of our life for about 2 yrs after I was awarded custody. No contact just off doing what ever. After about 2 yrs of doing what ever She had then gone threw treatment and a half way house. She was attending NA and AA meetings. She contacted me and asked if I would let her see our Daughter and apologized for everything in the past. I brought my daughter to see her mom and we started talking more. She seemed to be the person I used to care for. All i wanted was a Family as I did not have a good childhood and wanted to give my children a better child hood than I had. By now she was staying with me and got a job, but.The relationship started to turn sour and she started drinking more. She was hiding things and doing stuff that I wondered about. Needless to say she became pregnant again. I know bad choice. Relationship was over and we had another child on the way.

My son was born I was not notified until the next day. (New boyfriend was there with her.)  I immediately started court proceeding to get custody of my Son, as I could see the path that she was going down again. I have now been in court for 4 years and 10 months. It only took 9 months to get my everything done with my daughter. Yes my son will be 5 in May.  I will sum this part up. In the last 5 years she has gotten 2 dwi's, refused 4 drug tests, tested positive for meth 1 time, moved 6 times, was put on a sucide watch once, multiple relationships, most abusive,In-patient treatment that she left with out finishing, Child protective services has been called on more that one occasion, and the police have been called many times because the fighting between her boyfriend and herself. All of this goes on in her current home and is still going on. She just refused another drug test 2 weeks ago. During all of this I have had my son at my house only a handful of times. And to top it off the judge ordered in Jan. that my daughter has to go to her house every other weekend. I have contacted and done everything I can think of. The courts have copies of all the medical records, refused drug tests, CPS reports and the police reports, dwi's, Etc and they have choose to do nothing.

I do not want sympathy or hand outs nor do I want to be treated any deferentially I really debated on weather or not to post this as this is very personal and very close to my heart. I am simply looking for someone that can help my situation or knows someone who can. I also need to find a new lawyer as the one I have obviously is not getting anything done. Please let me know if there is anyone you know or if there is anyone that can help. Some one in the government, a retired judge, someone that works with Child protective services, really anyone that could help make a difference. I can not sit back and wait for one of the kids to get injured before the State will do something. Thank you.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: If you know any one that can Help Let me know
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
You would think the child's welfare would be the number one concern in the court system.
Sorry that I can't be of more help ... Get a different lawyer !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
First, thanks for sharing.

I was kind of thinking the same thing as Gregg, Shawn.  Is it maybe you're lawyer isn't doing enough to get the court to really take in all that's gone on?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
The lawyer swap is the easy suggestion ...
If she was out of your life for two years, you should be able to claim child abandonment - even though you had full custody already, that custody should not be modified to now require visitation with your daughter.

My sister is a teacher in the Brainerd Lakes area, as far as I know, teachers are mandatory reporters for suspected abuse.  Maybe she's got a contact number I can pass on - I'll give it a shot ...

Is your son in Kindergarten, yet?  Maybe you can go through his school?  Also, go to your daughter's school and fill them in - let them know your ex doesn't have any approval to show up and school or pick your daughter up.  Make sure the school is on your side (and your children's) ...

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »
Letting there school know is a good idea Dan ..
Maybe even there Doctor can help.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
I agree that is sounds like that attorney isnt doing squat and certainly doesnt appear they are looking out for the best interests of either children!

I know a great Family Law attorney. At least you can get a consultation from her and see what she thinks. She is a real go getter. She has somewhat kind of a friend and we email occasionally. I'll PM you her contact info.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
I plan on getting a new Lawyer. Prob have to sell a few things though as I am sure they will want a minimum of 5,000 for a retainer.

He is not in kindergarten yet so no options for his school. and my daughters school already knows about the situation and mom is not allowed to pick her up.

I have had my daughter in to see a counselor a few different times.
You would think the child's welfare would be the number one concern in the court system.
Sorry that I can't be of more help ... Get a different lawyer !

You would think that this would be top on there list. I have meet a few people that work for child protective services and they have flat out told me they really do not do anything but observe and make recommendations unless there in major problems or injuries. I have determined that our court system does not truly care about the well being of children otherwise things like my situation would not go on.
Thank you to the few people that have sent me messages I will look into everything that I can. Thank You again

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Maybe Ross's friend/Lawyer has some ideas ...
I'd be FREAKING OUT !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
Good luck Shawn, keep fighting the good fight!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
She is very ambitious. She'll latch on their ankle like a dog and not let go. ;D
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
Hope it all works out Shawn. Sorry I can't be of much help here though.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
She is very ambitious. She'll latch on their ankle like a dog and not let go. ;D

This is what i need is someone that is proactive and not reactive as my lawyer has been.  Messaged your lawyer and she is going to get back to me and she if she can help. Thanks Ross

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
That's great...
This site has a great wealth of resources
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
I must have gotten someones attention. Just received this from my lawyers Secretary he is on Vacation this week.

"David received an email from the Guardian Ad Litem manager yesterday.  I let them know that David will be back on Monday and they asked me to let you know they will be working on a resolution once David is back in town."

Not sure if I mentioned it but I emailed every manager in the sate yesterday with a very long and detailed message about the situation. Maybe someone will really do some thing. I can hope anyway. I have been told stuff was going to happen to many times and it did not so no holding my breath..

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
Shawn ...

Totally different circumstances, but when I had difficulty getting "authorities" to respond - I parked my butt in a chair and waited until they'd give me the time.  They were always too busy for phone calls, or to return e-mails ... so I picked a person who I thought could be motivated to act and paid a visit.  I was nice and polite, kept myself busy while I waited, eventually things got done - and they got started while I was sitting across the desk.
I hope things get moving. 

Everybody deserves a vacation, no matter their occupation, so I wouldn't fault your attorney on that point - BUT, I'd be fighting your attorney over the ex having visitation rights reinstated after you've had full custody.  Looks to me they were lacking long before going on vacation.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

This is what i need is someone that is proactive and not reactive as my lawyer has been.  Messaged your lawyer and she is going to get back to me and she if she can help. Thanks Ross

No problem. She emailed me and said she'd be contacting you.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag