Author Topic: Conditions Report  (Read 8057 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Conditions Report
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
OK, ladies & gentlemen ...

Most of you are seeing similar weather patterns to us down here in south Iowa.  I'm currently pumping water out of the basement, watching the lightning, and hoping not to fry the computer with a power surge.

I spent some time at the Corps of Engineer's office this evening.  Water level at the lake is 917 feet - 13 feet higher than normal, 2 feet higher than 3 days ago.  There are NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) warnings posted all over that building with estimates of 6-12 inches of rain between now and next Wednesday (June 5).  The Engineering Tech I spoke with said that he would expect water levels during our planned weekend to be 5-8 feet higher than now, and he would expect to see 922 feet by next Wednesday.

What this means for us .....
Well, for me, not much.  I live here.  BUT - I don't like the idea of asking the rest of you to travel up/down here for a chance to spend your weekend sitting under a picnic shelter.  If I were in any of your shoes, I'd be asking to postpone, so that is my suggestion.

The campsites are high, with ground sloping away.  Even at 923 feet, we'd be well clear of any water - except for soggy ground.  If the forecast holds through next week, it's doubtful the ground would be dry beneath us.  The big boat ramp might not be usable, either, because with higher levels there won't be room to turn the boat & tow vehicle around to back in.

I'll add a couple more posts - with some videos taken today, and a handful of pictures.  The wind was coming in from the south, and the surface chop was just eating away the shoreline.  Watch your speaker volume, the wind noise is bad.

Please ... tell me when you might like to re-schedule.  For those of you who requested time-off at work, I'd hate for that time to be wasted - save it for another weekend.  What does 4th of July look like for you guys? 

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
This is the boat ramp ... under serious water.  Notice my car is parked against the median/divider that separates the parking area from the actual ramp.

Honey Creek State Park Boat Ramp


Here's a view of the campsites from the south tip, past the restrooms, to the entrance of the south grounds ... you can see some of them are a bit soggy, but the land does slope down and away ...

Honey Creek State Park South Campgrounds


And ... this is where the beach *was* .... You can see a few downed trees in the water ... it's chomping away at the bank, washing out everything beneath the root-ball & then the tree tips ...

Honey Creek State Park South Campground Beach
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Online 75starflight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3096
Re: Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
Honestly, its the risk we take setting up a meet. Yes the lake is high, and there is no beaches, but its about getting together with our friends. Heck the lake Amber an I frequent does not have any beaches at all. As long as it is not shut down to boating we will be there.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:53:43 PM by 75starflite »
Brandon Hain
1975 v-179 starflite 
1978 CVZ-18

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:10 PM »
Brandon -

I hear you ... and I'd welcome anyone that still wants to come out.  I'm just trying not to let my proximity cloud what is reasonable for those who are traveling.  Funds are limited for everyone, and if they can be better spent on something less of a gamble, well I'd like to know that I wasn't a cause for money spent and time and travel for not a whole lot.

Now ... I'll try some of the still images again ...

Image one .... March, 2011 ... the freeze just melting off.  This is the view from the large launch ramp.  Take note of the yellow stripes and markings on the ground ...

Image two .... June 2, 2012 ... Doran's view of the ramp after launching.  Whoever it is walking up the ramp in that image would be knee deep in water today - completely submerged come June 7.

Image three .... Today (May 28) .... the top of the ground striping just barely visible underwater ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:03:28 PM »
More comparisons ...

Image 1:  Doran's picture from the beach behind the campsites ... note the tree & "cliff" on the upper far left ...

Image 2:  Today's view (May 28 ) - beach completely submerged & the "cliff" has moved towards the campgrounds about 8 feet because the erosion causes big chunks to slough off and trees to tip.  The surface chop under the wind starts chopping into the shoreline and before you know it, there's no earth under the root ball and it falls into the lake ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline dorelse

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5496
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
Honestly, right now, I see nothing that would stop me from coming.

I tried prepping Rissa that we might not be able to go, and that didn't go over so well.

IF we get a dry next week, and we can still boat, I'm still coming.  IF it truly rises up another 8'...well, that may change things, but we can talk about that next week.

Been looking forward to & working towards next weekend for better part of 6 mos. now...

Might need some more pictures & updates next week from you...if that's doable.

Now, if we're still in this weather pattern...where we get severe storms every night...well, then I might have to make a tough decision.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:01:48 AM by dorelse »
1981 Metric C-512 "Barfly"

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
I can still do it ... but again, I'm local.  I'm not traveling.  My money spending has already happened - at most, I'd need to delay my brisket order.  This trophy on the shelf has been paid for for months.  I just want to be considerate of everyone else.

This ramp will still be usable at 923 feet - but the bigger boats and tow vehicles will have to do their turn-around and use the rigging lane to back up, which turns it into a 1 or 2 lane ramp, instead of the big 6 .... but, considering that Red Wing has a single lane dirt ramp, we're still in great shape.

My new tent is suppose to keep me dry - I just want a try hour to get it set up.

I'll keep up with the Corps of Engineers every other day or so.  One of them was going to come out and give us a lake report on Thursday evening or Friday morning - just the heads up on current conditions, places to avoid, etc.

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline SSV-191

  • Contributing Member 2015
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 459
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 05:32:09 AM »
Right now, we still plan on making the trip. 

Terry

Offline still_fishin

  • Contributing Member 2016
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 499
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:33 AM »
Well, that lake really doesn't look any different than the Miss down in Red Wing. Muddy water, trees, and plenty of wind. A are still planning on coming. It might be good if that water came up a few feet. That way we could park under the tents above the dirt cliff.
'86 CVX-18
'80 Intimidator

Offline kert0307

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 386
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
I'm still planning on coming as well, but I am close also. If people really want a beach, there is still plenty of beach exposed at Red Rock, but that is about an hour and a half drive away from the camp ground. Either way, I have an anchor and we can make a "redneck yacht club" of Glastrons out in a calm spot on the lake.

Offline Burnin Daylight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
I am for now still planning on coming, but watching the weather.  Eleven hundred miles round trip is a long ways to tow a boat and not get to use it.  The things that will make it difficult for me (cant speak for Red) is the absence of the courtesy docks to aid in getting myself and the dog in and out of the boat at the launch.  I suppose that I can always drive over by the lodge and launch or rent a slip for the weekend.  How far is the drive to the lodge from the campground?

Ditto Kurt on the floating Glastron Island.  The lake that I boat on does not have a single beach area, so the floating islands form in the no wake zones. 
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline thedeuceman

  • Contributing Member 2015
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2427
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
I'm all in too, i already feel as though im running out of summer with many plans.
we will make the best of what there, i have no doubt we will have a blast !
Joe
75 GT-150, 73 Johnson 115 "Sea Deuce'd"
91 1900,  :) Name TBD
72 GT160, Next project
88 X19 Conroy, Project (up for grabs)

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »
Barb -
The resort property is a 9 mile drive, or a couple hundred yards across Honey Creek ...
There are two courtesy docks currently up at the State Park ramp we would use ...
Here are photos from yesterday ...

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline WetRaider

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1315
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
I like the enthusiasm ... come hell or high water ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Online 75starflight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3096
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
Well, that lake really doesn't look any different than the Miss down in Red Wing. Muddy water, trees, and plenty of wind. A are still planning on coming. It might be good if that water came up a few feet. That way we could park under the tents above the dirt cliff.

I agree with Tim let her rise that way we can park below the camp ground.
Brandon Hain
1975 v-179 starflite 
1978 CVZ-18

Offline Burnin Daylight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
Dan, thanks for the info about the docks.  I was worried about accessibility because I'm just not as physically flexible as I used to be. 
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline dorelse

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5496
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Dan, thanks for the info about the docks.  I was worried about accessibility because I'm just not as physically flexible as I used to be. 

Don't you have bionic parts like Steve Austin?  (The youngen's will have no idea what I'm talking about!)

Just jump, the slo-mo music will kick on, and you land in the captain's chair ready to take on the lake!  :D 

That dock should be moved as the water rises so there should be a couple docks to use as Dan pictured.
1981 Metric C-512 "Barfly"

Online 75starflight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3096
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Also, there is always someone willing to help you launch and retrieve.
Brandon Hain
1975 v-179 starflite 
1978 CVZ-18

Offline Burnin Daylight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 719
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  Just not crazy about taking a dip in the lake this early in the season.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Online 75starflight

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3096
Re: Conditions Report
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  Just not crazy about taking a dip in the lake this early in the season.

When we had Phoenix Rising up at Sherman Reservoir last thursday I was knee deep on the launch and it felt pretty good. A little cold at first but it warmed up.
Brandon Hain
1975 v-179 starflite 
1978 CVZ-18