Author Topic: Red, Should I be worried about this?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline kert0307

Red, Should I be worried about this?
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
So some of you may know that my engine ran great at Rathbun, but it did have an oil leak. I was pretty sure it was from the rear main because I was a little skeptical of how it fit up when I built it up. Well, I pulled the motor out of the boat (getting too good at that it seems) and proceeded to take a closer look. Like I figured it was the rear main, so I ordered the Mercury specific seal instead of the generic Ford that I put in there before. Fit's a lot better and I'm pretty sure that the leak is now gone.

But, while I had it apart I figured it wouldn't hurt to look over everything close. All 8 pistons are discolored like the picture below. I pulled a couple spark plugs and they look fine to me... but I've never seen anything like this before.

Pistons are Sealed Power hypereutectic pistons

Any word of wisdom from those with more experience than me?

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Red, Should I be worried about this?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:19:53 AM »
I've not seen that discoloration on  a piston before, but it's not something that would worry me, that little motor runs Great from what I've seen. The sparkers look just a little lean to me though, I like to see a little darker color on the porslin around the electrode, lean is heat, that may explain the difference in the colors on the piston.
Spark plug color ... white is too lean, tan is good, brown is ok, black is bad, to rich or burning some oil.
As clean as that baby looks, I'd suggest just giving it a little more fuel and Go Play
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline kert0307

Re: Red, Should I be worried about this?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:16:14 PM »
Sounds good, got the motor back in, just need to attach the outdrive and we'll be headed to the lake.  ;D