Author Topic: Nobody in this town wants to work . How can I roll a boat over with no help?  (Read 5482 times)

Offline TWISTED CVX

Ok I hope I wont get chastized on here for putting up another make of boat.  But I have a very rare boat that is rotting away and I can't find anybody in this town that has the knowledge nor desire to work for me for wages. I have been trying for over seven years to find sombody to help me roll this boat over so I can paint the bottom.  It's a 71 Chris Craft XK-19 it was Chris Crafts response to Donzi for their off shore race boats. Came with a 350 hp Corvette motor factory. I have the motor competely rebuilt and fresh sitting on the shop floor collecting dust never fired. In this town nobody wants to work I have put out numerous ads to try and find sombody to help me they either lie to me and no show or just flat out lazy and don't want to work. I have had numerous people that did fiberglass work lie to me and flake out. It has sat so long the cover is gone and I have to get another one soon. It breaks my heart to see it rot away. I had one member tell me one time these boats were almost 12 grand when they were new. My shop it only 9 foot =ceiling so putting up some kind of hoist is out of the question. I do have an old Hugh loader though.

Any help advice guys ? The nearest boat hull repair facility is 250 miles away I live out in a God Forsaken town out in the desert and want to desprately move .So any help would be greatly apreaciated.  I kow I will never find another one of these in my life time. Thanks again 

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Nice boat twisted.There was one for sale on lake minnetonka that was redone for $25000. Not sure if it sold.

Just roller on over to minnesota.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline WetRaider

This is where you need to get creative.  You say a hoist is out of the question because of height ... but can you properly anchor some rings?  If so, you can use ratchet straps to start lifting one side.  I'd go out to a home improvement store and look at damaged pieces of insulating foam sheets - 4x8 sheets ... here, if they're cracked or missing a chunk in the corner, they sell them for $1.00 - $3.00 ... Get a few set on the floor so that you're not rolling the edge against concrete.  Ask a flooring company for some long narrow carpet remnants and use those to protect it, too ...
Get those straps up through the rings and hooked on the boat ... maybe 5 or 6 ratchets on one, move down to the next, then the next, then the next ... and then back... Depending on the boat, you might make some wood cross members to run at the rub rail level of that hull so that you don't get too much flexing in the flip.  I'd say just start.  If you find out it's not going to work, at least seeing what's happening while you try can maybe give you another idea.

I've had to do nearly everything myself, too.  The nearest member here is a two hour drive away.  I'm in a small town and geographically isolated, too.  Worst case scenario to what I suggested above is that you spend a few bucks on rings to anchor on a ceiling joist and discover there's more twist than you can overcome and you have to lay it back down.  When I lifted my deck (certainly smaller than your hull, but still alone and under a 7' ceiling height), I used ratchet straps to get it up & then made myself a rope harness to lower it back down - this way I could release the ratchet completely while holding the rope and slowly letting it down corner by corner.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Rosscoe

Or to avoid the ceiling issue all together build a hoist outsde with 6x6s and roll it over onto some dollies, then push it into your shop. I know....easier said then done.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Jerry

I like Elko. but not planning on a road trip. I would guess if it's sitting on the ground you could roll it over on some tires with the Payloader. can't you do what you need to without flipping it?
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline TWISTED CVX

Thanks guys for your help full advice! Question? The boat with the motor and drive and everything installed is about 2500 pounds. My idea is to pop the top and gut everything out. Interior gas tank wiring right down to the hull and floor. Since the engine and drive are already out I wonder how much the boat will weigh? I am changing the color its crap brown and white yuck. I am going blue bottom and white on the sides. I have heard of guys painting boats up on jack stands but can you do a very good job working upside down. With the boat gutted I wonder if it would roll over very easy?  My thinking was pop the top gutt it then put the top back on temporary anchor back together and roll it over probably should brace it up anyway. I just don't know I am so dumb on this. I just don't want to ruin the boat yhou know. This is like handling a Six Pac Cuda.

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Twisted

Check out cvx18 paint and interior restore on this site could help you out a bit.

OR HERE ...

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:05:31 PM by Hyperacme »
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator

Offline GIL_CV21

Another idea ...
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2209&start=360
That guy is crazy lol but it works . The boat just about flipped its self .

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
" That guy is crazy lol. "

But he sure does nice work !

Offline TWISTED CVX

This is very interesting how did you make the hook up plate for the back and the front and how did you attach every thing?  Thanks

Offline GIL_CV21

It wasnt too hard to do , my CV21 is pretty much gutted nothing but wood and glass and pretty heavy to boot . I cut a plug the same size and thickness as the hole in the transom and clamped it in with carriage bolts and 2x4's i got a grade 8 10 inch bolt drilled a hole through the plug and got a thick metal plate and a good size shackle thats pretty much it as for the front , the bow eye worked fine. I did however reinforce the bow eye because the original backing wood was rotten i cut a new backing plate out of two 3/4 inch pieces of acx ply with fresh washers and lock nuts . The hardest part was crawling into the bow to take it out and put it back in lol . Your CVX18 im pretty sure doesnt weight as much as my beast does , so you could do it the same way i did . The first time i had a back hoe and a tractor and help to flip it but i wasnt so fortunate the second time so i used my 2 ton engine hoist and a  1 tone chain hoist in the ole oak tree , the only thing i had to do was brace the engine hoist from flipping with a couple of ratchet straps to the bumper hitch of my two jeeps , lifted both ends and it pretty much flipped its self .

Offline TWISTED CVX

Very interesting so if I have never popped a top how am I going to do this with no help. And when you gut every thing how do you reattach the top back on to the boast temporally? Do you use rivets or what ?Thanks

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Not sure of how it comes apart, but i would say just the opposite.

Most CG are help together at the rub rail with screws.
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline GIL_CV21

Very interesting so if I have never popped a top how am I going to do this with no help. And when you gut every thing how do you reattach the top back on to the boast temporally? Do you use rivets or what ?Thanks
When i was redoing the insides of my CV i never took the top off , most Carlsons have a strip of mat glassed to the top and bottom seam on the inside . You dont have to take the top off and put it back on to flip it .

Offline TWISTED CVX

If you read my original blog I have a Chris Craft ;D