Author Topic: RE? Flipping the Xk-19 Pictures , for the guys on here that were helping me.  (Read 8564 times)

Offline TWISTED CVX

Some of the guys on here that were trying so hard to help me with my delema of not being able to hire any help so I can get my boat restored. I know it is not a Glastron but some of the guys wanted some pictures of it so I decided to put some up.  I have decided to just go with one color with black stripes down the middle. I contacted the Chris Craft club and asked the members if I would destroy the value of the boat if I did so. They all told me no. Most of the engine that I am putting in this is orginal except the block. This is the boat that the gentlemen Wagner devised and designed to compete with Donzi's for Chris Craft. The boat has been covered and the its sat for so long the cover has rotted so I got a new cover for it. I thought while I had the rotten cover off of it I would take some pics and put them up here for the members to view. The 350 HP Corvette motor that came with this is in the shop all rebuilt fresh and ready to put in the boat. But again I don't nor can I hire anybody to help me prep this boat to paint and so the fiberglassing. Because of that its has sat. I want this restored so bad I can taste it. Being out in the sticks with so many A  holes in one town is really frustrating. Not being able to hire sombody to help me is even more frustratring. I want to get this up and going so bad because I realize how rare of a boat it is. I have a 65 GTO that I need to get back on the road also but I have promised my self I wont start on it untill I get this ole girl done. So any advice from you guys I am very open to ideas.

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
The gelcoat doesn't look too bad on that boat. I would just take a buffer and some 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound to it to get rid of the oxidation and leave it original. Follow it up with a good boat wax.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Rosscoe

I agree. Looks pretty good! Cool boat.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
" I would just take a buffer and some 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound to it to get rid of the oxidation and leave it original. Follow it up with a good boat wax. "

Agreed !
Maybe wet sand it ...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
I would 100% agree...that doesn't look to need to be painted...just some time spent buffing/wet sanding/polishing.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Cool boat! I like it. I agree, get out the buffer.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
I agree ,  a go wet sand and then Imperial compound followed by finnesse II then wax.

You will be surprised with the results.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Before wet sanding/compounding/FI2/waxing ...

After wet sanding/compounding/FI2/waxing ...

Offline TWISTED CVX

Wow nice job on wet sanding and buffing out the boat! I top section of the Chris Craft is loaded full of spider cracks in the gell coat one corner on the starboard side is rubbed completely off. There is also stress cracks in each corner of the opening of the engine compartment. Also on the starboard side from the middle of the boat forward it compeltely sagged down and there is a one inch gap under the windsheild. It looks like it got really hot and the glass mat just sagged down its like a troff right on top of the gunnel. It would require major built up with some thick cloth. I don't know if its a factory defect but it looks like the fiber glass had no support and just sagged down when they pulled the top section out of the mold. But I am really dumb on this subject so I really dont know here is the other pics that I could not post eariler. Thanks guys for your support ! It sure is refreshing.  ;D

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Where are you located? That is some beautiful country in the background. Looks like Wyoming or Nevada.... Where would you use a boat out there?
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline TWISTED CVX

I am in Elko Nevada. The only thing I have close is South Fork or Wild Horse. But the sad thing is we are in an extream drought and our lakes are drying up.  The nearest big body of water is CJ strike in Idaho its about 175 miles away. There is no place to take this boat out here and stretch out its legs. It just makes me sick to see it rot and I can't hire any help. Nobody wants to work. I get close to sombody helping me and they flake out and lie to me and don't show up.

Offline Rosscoe

Makes us all sick to see it rot like that. Can you get it covered somewhere?
Got any pics of this "sagging" you are talking about?

Lots of bodies of water up here! I can not imagine having to go that far to drop a boat in.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline WetRaider

I know what you're describing with the sagging.
I've seen GT 150's so smooth they look like somebody spent good time on them with a long block ... mine, rippled all over the place.  It bugs me, especially after a wax when the boat is shiny and all the reflections are distorted because of it. 
I'm not sure, though, that the cause is what you described.  My "sags" and "ripples" are maybe 1/8" at most ... I guess a good body shop with some body filler could smooth it all out ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline TWISTED CVX

Makes us all sick to see it rot like that. Can you get it covered somewhere?
Got any pics of this "sagging" you are talking about?

Lots of bodies of water up here! I can not imagine having to go that far to drop a boat in.

I do have a new cover for it I was just letting it dry out untill tommorow. I don't have anything that I can store  inside if that was what you were infering to.  I would never let this sit with out a cover on it. This is just temp.

Offline TWISTED CVX

I will get some pics of the sagging issue and some of the cracks and try ad put them up tonight. Maybe sombody has some good advice for me. The one thing I am doing for sure if popping the top I want to pull out all the wiring gas tank interior and completely redo it. I wont be anytime soon because winter will be here and I have no place big enough to store this inside ad work on it. I makes me sick to see this rot and I can't find any help been trying for over 6 years now in this God forsaken town. Thanks

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2209&start=360

Maybe build two 4x4 towers ( think Brandon built one to remove his motor ) or a tower and a tree.
Get two "come a longs" and supend it.
Gil did some thing like that for his CV.
Check out his rebuild post on CGOA ... link is at top of page ..

&%#@#+ tablet !
Can't paste anything where i want it to go ...

Offline TWISTED CVX

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2209&start=360

Maybe build two 4x4 towers ( think Brandon built one to remove his motor ) or a tower and a tree.
Get two "come a longs" and supend it.
Gil did some thing like that for his CV.
Check out his rebuild post on CGOA ... link is at top of page ..

&%#@#+ tablet !
Can't paste anything where i want it to go ...

Hey thanks for putting this up I wish I could see how he has the back hooked for the flip and how he has the front hooked up.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Gil is a member here ...

GIL_CV21   ....   http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?action=profile;u=67

Send him a PM or email with questions ...

Offline TWISTED CVX

Ok thanks!

Offline DanR

To hell with the boat, I want pics of the GTO!!!!!!!!!!
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat