Author Topic: Red's New Project!!! Scimitar going 'Down Under'!  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Burnin Daylight

Red's New Project!!! Scimitar going 'Down Under'!
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
I have sold my pretty boat to a fellow in Austrailia, it will be leaving here in February for it's journey.  I'm going to be building another one I bought last month, another total project, but I don't mind modifying the hull on it, my goal is to have it in the water by August for the shoot-out at the lake of the Ozarks.

What? 
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
I have sold my pretty boat to a fellow in Austrailia, it will be leaving here in February for it's journey.  I'm going to be building another one I bought last month, another total project, but I don't mind modifying the hull on it, my goal is to have it in the water by August for the shoot-out at the lake of the Ozarks.

What? 

Exactly...WHAT???
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
yep, the fellow contacted me last week, super nice guy, no bargaining, I gave him the price, with a couple options, he accepted it with the stock 260 motor, upgraded Alpha drive, tilt/trim system
thru-hulls, center rise manifolds.   
Most of you know I have been reluctant to split that one and do the hull/transom mod because it is
mostly original, so now I don't have to worry about that  :)
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
yep, the fellow contacted me last week, super nice guy, no bargaining, I gave him the price, with a couple options, he accepted it with the stock 260 motor, upgraded Alpha drive, tilt/trim system
thru-hulls, center rise manifolds.   
Most of you know I have been reluctant to split that one and do the hull/transom mod because it is
mostly original, so now I don't have to worry about that  :)

Yeah, but Australia?  Yowza!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »
told ya it would sell Red! Congrats! now you can go nuts with the project Scimitar... good deal.

I think we got a little off track here! woops...
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
I'm going to be building another one I bought last month, another total project, but I don't mind modifying the hull on it, my goal is to have it in the water by August for the shoot-out at the lake of the Ozarks

Tells us about your project boat...where did you find this one!!!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Red's New Project!!! Scimitar going 'Down Under'!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
I split this out as I expect this thread to be huge!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:26:24 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:11:40 PM »
New project boat alright Red!

It will be a sad day to see the scimitar leave and going to Australia! I hope everything goes smooth with the sale.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
I split this out as I expect this to thread to be huge!

Doran  !   I had to look Twice and the thread title  LOL
something about going down under  ... took a minute for me to get my thinker around that

You guy's know I put the stroker and thru-hulls on the boat to go to lake of the Ozarks last August
I have since sold that motor to the fellow that bought Red's Gold, so I pulled the motor.
Then, because I planed on doing the interior in my boat this winter or spring, I pulled it to put in Gary's boat,
some people thought I was parting out my boat :)
Then when the fellow from Austrailia contacted me, we have been talking on the phone several times, he lives and has a business in Melborn, I gave him several motor, drive, tilt/trim and exhaust options, he decided yesterday to go with the stock 260hp, Alpha drive and t/t system, thru-hull exhaust, and even the pretty green cover, I'm really pleased, for both of us, and, he has two young son's 5 and 6 years old, they are going to have a Blast.
Anyway, I'm sending him all the templates to build the seat frames, he has made arrangements to get them covered there, and he's good to go.  I will have the boat cover on, then have it scrink wrapped before it leaves here.

About the new project, I bought the one from my buddy Clay that that lives just a few miles from me, it's the one that was hanging on the straps down in Texas a year or two back, it's actually in a lot better shape than I had expected, and guess what else, it's all ready cleand out and ready to split  :) and Clay has completely rebuilt the trailer.

I'm looking to have Gary's boat ready for a lake test in a few days, but it may be another week before I can get it out of the shop to my driveway, the ground is still wet as can be.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:41:06 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
told ya it would sell Red! Congrats! now you can go nuts with the project Scimitar... good deal.

I think we got a little off track here! woops...

it's all good Steve, and I didn't even have to advertize it.  I got another email today from a fellow in Georgia
that is looking for one also, he told me that the one on ebay for $10,00 then $8500, then $5500 sold after the last auction closed, and now that fellow has it listed somewhere for $7500 but I haven't see that.

and Yes, this one is going to get quite a make-over, here's what I been thinking, the 409 coupled to the Bravo drive, on the modified transom, grind out the "hook"  laser true the hull, like Gary's, and I'm going with the base coat clear coat system from PPG, metal flake silver on light grey, ducted heat and air
conditioning up front, and believe it or not, I been thinking about electric windows ... it is doable ya know, all kinds of kits out ther for full size coupes, but Maybe not at this time. 
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
Amazing.  I can't wait to see what you get put together, Red.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
Yeah, but Australia?  Yowza!

A year and a half ago, my aunt sold her Grand Prix hydroplane to a guy down under.  Recently a friend sold his '56 Chevy to someone down there too.  There seems to be money in Australia / New Zealand and they aren't afraid to pay the delivery costs. 

-Eric

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
The fellows name is Mark, I figure he will be on the site soon, he too has had a few cars and boats shipped over there, down there, the last boat he had shipped there was a 1947 CrissCraft sedan, he as been working on it 2 years, 2 or 3 more before it's finished.
I learned a couple few ago that the boat I built for George, my brother-in-law, went to Austrailia also.
According to Art Carlson, about 500 of the scimitars were made, and that about 300 of them were sold to dealers in seven different countries, several to Austrailia, the Netherlands, UK, Germany, and I gorgot where else.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Carlson_from_Germany

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:19 AM »
Does he also have a CV23? A buddy from IL just sold his one owner factory new looking CV23 to a guy down under.