Author Topic: 57 Fireflite  (Read 6826 times)

Offline KimmieAnne

57 Fireflite
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
I need help! My Uncle gave me his 57(?) Glastron Fireflite. I haven't seen any boats that look like mine. Some are close but not exactly and apparently the splashwell was modified do I have no serial numbers. Can someone help me :)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 57 Fireflite
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum KimmieAnne !

Looks like a 1959 Fireflite on a Tee Nee trailer ...
Very cool boat and in pretty good shape from picture you've posted.

Glastron brochures ...

http://www.cgoamn.com/12.html

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

What a nice thing for your uncle to give you:)...do lots of research. I am sure that you will get a overwhelming amount of information on that boat.

These folks on here can help you also, that are vary knowledgeable!!

does the engine run?
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline KimmieAnne

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:02:18 AM »
My Uncle said when he parked it 10 years ago it ran. He did say it need a new lower end unit, if I remember correctly. I spent the last 2 days tagging and bagging all the parts and pieces to have them redone. Next I'm gonna start stripping the paint down. Now, since I believe it is a 59 also and not as rate as a 57, is it cool to restore it back to originality with my touches or should I go with its original look? We think it was an aqua blue color originally and I'm thinking I would like red or maybe even a pale pink? I'm just a little worried about my husband driving a pink boat and people making rude comments. Although he says he doesn't care, I don't want him to regret painting it pink :) I am absolutely in love with my boat and agree that I have an awesome uncle. The motor is really cool too.

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:24:50 AM »
"Pink"
I have no problem wearing a pink shirt, if my wife asks me to...lol

Personalized boat colors are cool...
I
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 06:55:07 AM »
I have a '58 with lace paint. Pink would be cool. Do you have spray equipment?

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:42 AM »
Has it been painted ?
Is it flaking / chipping off ?

Offline KimmieAnne

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
Yes, it looks as though it had been painted twice over the original color. I don't have a sprayer and the paint is chipping & bubbling. I'm guessing because it wasn't painted correctly the last time. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
Stripe the paint off ... Gel might be in OK shape ...
Most likely dried out and cracking though ...
But if it just dull, you might be able to wet sand a buff it out ... 

Offline Jerry

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
All older Glastrons have crazing (gel-coat cracking) problems. You have to take it down to bare fiberglass, or put another layer of glass over everything. Not an easy process, but the only way to do it right. Also it should be split and a transom and floor replaced. You will have a great boat for many years when your done.

Offline KimmieAnne

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
Okay so I found the title to the boat and it says 1957. If the boat is a 59 how does this happen? Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Jerry

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
SNAFU I have no idea, but the motor is a 59 or 60 Johnson, and the boat is defiantly a 59. I guess you could change the title, you can't change the boat.

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
Years ago if the title was lost at some point, and if there are no registration numbers on the boat for tracking the DMV would go by what the current owner says the year is. Also years ago if the title was lost and the registration was from another state the DMV had no way of accessing anothers states registration data (before widespread internet).   

I've done a half dozen old motorcycles over the years and a lot has changed since my first one 25 years ago.  I think of the DMV now as the "Soup Nazi" from the Seinfeld episodes, and if your paperwork is not in order "No Soup For You!".  Pretty funny and harsh, but the DMV is just trying to cut down on the stolen property being registered with clean titles.

In your instance go to the DMV with a picture of the hull number and any supporting internet written documentation from one of these collector web pages and explain it to them and they should change it for you, if you want to.

Good luck, and hopefully "Soup For You."

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Jerry

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
They had no Hull Numbers back then.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
From the national site here is info on early HIN #'s. If the boat is a '59 the HIN would be stamped on the rear rub rail. See info below.
Hope this helps.

]The following pictures show the location of the paper I.D. tag on '57 models which is underneath the rear deck and faces downward toward the bilge.

1957                                                                                                                1957

Although the tags were covered with clear resin, the areas that were filled in probably by hand with a pen are faded and can't be read. The printed part of the tag reads:

STANDARD GLASS PRODUCTS INC.
AUSTIN, TEXAS

Model _________________________  Ser. No. _______________________

GLASTRON

1958 through 1962 Glastrons seem to have had serial numbers stamped into the rubrail at the rear of the boat.

John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
the boat is Definately a 1959 model, they changed the design of the hull for 1958, the one's that were made in 1956 and 1957 were the original hull design, quite a bit different than the 1958's. The 1958's were, in my opinion, the most desired because of the swept fin's, and the aluminum fin cap, like Jerry's, the 1959 models had a strait back on the fin, the 1960 model were completely different.  I have had two of the 24  made in 1956 with the paper tags written in pencil under the rear deck, but as already stated, the 1958 and 1959 models had the numbers stamped into the rub rail on the port side near the stern.
I don't know about other states, but here in Oklahoma, when I get a boat that is mis-matched for the proper year, I sent the state a form from my local tag agent, called a BM-24 to correct a "typ"o"
and that has worked many times, but when the boat don'e reveal any numbers to insure that, I make my own, on a strip of aluminum tape, file for a, what Oklahoma calls a Title 42, storage lein, and I get the paper work in the mail in a few weeks, take that to the tag agent, and get the correct title for the boat.
1980 23ft Scimitar