General Category > Members Profiles / Introductions

New guy Glastron V-166

<< < (2/8) > >>

Aj1:
Oldfishguy,plugcheck,hyperacme, thanks for the welcome guys. It does do very well actuallywith the 85 on the back, I think once I'm done it'll be much better actually, I feel like there is about 400# of waterlogged wood in the hull. I also plan to make a comprehensive drain system including bilge pump in the floor since it is apart now is the time right! Like I said, I'll continue to update with photos as I go along, it's freezing in Michigan so I'm not getting in the water anytime soon!

Aj1:
Ok guys, got a couple hours this weekend to take some more of the boat apart, I leaned some interesting things here, for anyone taking one of these apart, it looks like the stringers stop at the bulkhead at the feet of the driver, you can see this in the photo, also, unfortunately it looks like the way the stringers were glassed in on this hull was a very poorly done job, you can see one of the stringers where there is a gap of about 1/2" between the glass and the stringer wood! It was never laminated to a uniform unit! Also I got the motor off, not an easy task for one man, but doable. That said, also attached here is a pic of the steering cable, despite its age, it moves smoothly and after a little wd40 on the coupler between the cable end and steering tube came loose fairly easily, I can attribute this I believe to you can see in the pic that there is a grease fitting that my dad ( who I got this boat from) installed in the cable ferrule many years ago, highly recommend this upgrade if it's in your skillset. With all that said, my next step is im going to take the windshield assembly off, then I'm going to take a high speed cut off wheel all the way around the inside where the glass overlay remains where the floorboards were to trim it down to clean and smooth, then separate the top hull from the bottom, once that's complete, I'll also slice the remaining glass holding the transom in since it's rotted too and clean that up, then get started on cutting a new transom board as well as stringers. I plan to glass the new ones in using probably 24oz woven roving as well as west system g-flex epoxy to install the boards, then probably finish coat with west 105/205 resin hardener. This may be overkill here, I'm not sure but I'd be real interested in hearing your guys' thoughts and opinions on the subject and a intelligent direction to go, thanks!

Aj1:
Here's the pics

Aj1:
More

Plugcheck:
      Sounds like a good start, tear it down to the bare glass and build up from there.   You mentioned using a cut off wheel to cut all the way around to separate the top and bottom.   There will be some tabbing, mostly at the transom, but the top is held on by a series of screws both under and through the rub rail.  The bottom has a ring, generally 3/4" ply material that the screws bite into.  In many cases of restorations, you will find yourself repairing or replacing this ring as well.   Over time the holes can get lose their ability to hold a screw tightly.  Personally, I reuse the holes through the glass itself unless the glass is badly cracked around it.   If I may offer one suggestion, if the bottom/top will be separated for a long time, I use 4-5 motorcycle trailer type straps to pull the hull sides in to keep them in the approximate position there will be in when the top mates back on.  This prevents the hull taking somewhat a "set" and making the top install all the more difficult.     Good luck,  keep posting progress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version